Yeah, i've been trying to learn powerchords now since february but my hands are way to smal. I do exactly as the videos say but it still sounds terrible.

I always try to find the easiest way to play a song (i got supplies like capo etc) but i cant find any other way to play "flashed junk mind" and i really want to learn it . Anyone have an idé on what i can do?
Go to a music store and put your hands on as many guitar necks as you can and see if you can find something that fits your hand size. If that doesn't work, buy a ukulele (j/k). A thinner neck should help out a lot. Unfortunately, when you have small hands you have to figure out how to work around that. How old are you? If you are just young and your hands haven't reached full size yet, there may be hope. If your hands are as big as they are going to get, well, start using your pinky and work it out like crazy to build up strength. Use the whole pad of the pinky to hold down the two strings that are normally held by the ring and pinky. I repeat: Fret the power chords with your index and pinky finger (use pinky alone instead of the ring/pinky combo in holding down the strings) - that would be my suggestion, it should help. I actually learned power chords like that when I started out as my hands were smaller then. Now, this will limit what you can do in some ways. But it will help you get where you want to go for now. It isn't the best technique, but we make do with what we have to work with.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Ok thanks alot man, unfortunatley im 17 and full sized (cam into puberty at the age of 10) and i'll have to wait some months before i can go and buy a new guitar :c . But do you know any kind exercise i can do to improve my space between my fingers?
What kind of guitar are you using at the moment? Acoustic tends to be a bit harder on the fingers than an electric - in my opinion. I started on a Squier Stratocaster - that I still have and play from time to time.

As far as exercises go, you can search online for any number of them. It's easier to read an article someone else already wrote or watch a video rather than try to explain it here - ha! Look things up like stretching as well as strengthening. Stretching will help you reach where you want to reach. Strengthening will help you do what you need to do when you can reach the fret. They also make those spring loaded hand exercisers (e.g. Gripmaster), but I don't know how well those actually work. I've heard of the rubber-band/elastic hair ban technique as well where you put that around your fingers and play with that on to create resistance. I'm sure any weight or resistance will help strengthen your hands - but take it easy - as with any exercise, don't hurt yourself. Since you are new to guitar, this is a good time to do some research and come up with a warm up routine. Taking a few minutes to warm up makes a huge difference when you play.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
What fingers and power chord are you using? I found when I first started playing I could make a power chord with just my pinky and my index finger. Not my ring finger and index.

Are you trying to play the 3 or 2 string power chord. Maybe just start with the 2 string (5th chord) power chord first? i.e: An E5 chord would be...
e-----
b-----
g-----
d--9--
a--7--
e-----
On your question about improving spacing. I had that problem badly. I had a really good guitarist show me how to hold my hand like I'm putting a baseball mitt on (sort of cupped pointing upwards with the thumb in the middle of the neck).

Now I can reach another couple of frets down the neck thanks to that one tip
Even with small hands power chords should be 100% doable. I mean, you only need two fingers to do them. It's not a stretch, even if you had really small hands.

I can't imagine what you are doing wrong to not be able to fret a power chord.

Why it may sound horrible is because you may not mute the other strings properly. Only two strings should be ringing when you are playing power chords.

You may want to consider taking some lessons.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
There are tons of videos on power chords on u tube type in easy power chords
Oh, so many answers now i will try to reply for all >.>

ThunderPunk;
I use an acoustic Levin LG-8, yeah i also have an electric guitar but i dont want to use it for this kind of songs because i want more sound (and im to lazy to buy new cable x)).

Rebel Scum;
This is the song i try to learn http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/milky_chance/flashed_junk_mind_acoustic_crd.htm . When i play power chords i use my index finger, middle finger and my ring finger. Those easy chords like E5 are easy to play and i can play them too, but they arent in the song i want to learn :/.

ray_ahern3;
Ok thanks man i will try that

MaggaraMarine;
Bruh, how am i suppose to mute with my index finger and play with ring,middle finger if my hands are so smal i cant separate them that far? When i mute the other strings and try to play with my other fingers my index finger becomes awry and the sound ****s up aswell. Yeah i've also considered takeing lessons but i cant because i lack time alot, but thanks anyways for the advice.

Tazz3;
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/milky_chance/flashed_junk_mind_acoustic_crd.htm
There is no such thing as having hands too small. Unless you have an actual condition or genetic deformity of sorts then the problem of having small hands doesn't exist.

I have small hands also, and I've never had issues with something that practice wont fix.
Quote by vayne92
There is no such thing as having hands too small. Unless you have an actual condition or genetic deformity of sorts then the problem of having small hands doesn't exist.

I have small hands also, and I've never had issues with something that practice wont fix.

I've been practicing for months but i havent reached anywhere, thats why i seek for help.
Quote by Sn0wie

Rebel Scum;
This is the song i try to learn http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/milky_chance/flashed_junk_mind_acoustic_crd.htm . When i play power chords i use my index finger, middle finger and my ring finger. Those easy chords like E5 are easy to play and i can play them too, but they arent in the song i want to learn :/.

The chords in that song aren't power chords as you mentioned in the OP. Those are barre chords (for the most part, the open E being not so barre-y).

What exactly is giving you the most trouble here? Is it when you have to move the fingering to a different chord. Is there a particular chord that requires more of a stretch than the others? How are you trying to play these chords with your left hand?

An example of how I'd play the G#m, my index finger would be flat against all strings forming the "barre", ring on the A string and pinky on the D string. My thumb placement on the back of the neck is just above the halfway point of the vertical axis of the neck.

Now if you're having trouble even getting to the point where you can play that one chord cleanly then it shows that your hands aren't necessarily small. You just need to train the muscles to be able to stretch that far. Or your guitar possibly has a high action and maybe not the best for you to learn on.

I'd suggest stretching your fingers when doing menial tasks like watching tv, or just have the guitar in your hands in that one chord position just to get the muscle memory going. There are hand exercisers you can get from guitar shops that are shaped like a neck with string like buttons for pushing down on to increase the strength in them digits.

Another thing you could try is to break down those chords into smaller portions so G#m could be played like:

e-----
b--4-
g--4-
d--6-
a-----
e-----

Apart from that, well your on your own with this one. Good luck.
Why on earth are you trying to use your middle finger for power chords? Nobody does that, use your ring and pinky of flatten your ring finger across the two strings. Also power chords tend to sound pretty crappy on an acoustic, the whole point of them is that they sound better on an electric because full chords can sound muddy with distortion, but it's the distortion that allows you to get away with playing a chord with just two pitches in it.

Power chords aren't that easy though, I don't know why there's this myth where people think it's the best place to start. A power chord is just the bottom half of a barre chord, and barre chords are trickier than open chords. For me it was a lot easier to first get to grips with playing open chords up by the nut. Maintaining the spacing of my fingers for a power chord while also having to adjust it slightly when moving up and down the neck took a lot of getting used to. If I'd started out trying to play then I'd never have got anywhere, it wasn't until I'd got better at telling my fingers what to do when they weren't moving that I could make progress with moving them around.

Finally I wouldn't bother with hand exercisers or anything like that, they're a waste of money and don't actually do anything that really helps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Sn0wie
Rebel Scum;

I'm not familiar with that song but if that tab is right most of those chords aren't power chords in the first place. They are basically all barre chords. Quite a mix of them too, some major, some minor, some minor 7th, and some weird suspended chord of some type that I've seen in a couple other songs. I think it's an Ab7sus4 or something like that. In other words power chords really aren't going to sound right even if you are playing them perfectly.

Are you saying you fret power chords with your first 3 fingers (index, middle, and ring)? If so that may be your problem right there. Power chords are normally played with the index, ring and pinky fingers, while the middle finger either does nothing or mutes some strings (not necessary though because you can mute every other string with your index finger while still fretting the root note of the power chord)

Some people play them with a 2 string barre with their pinky or ring finger instead, but that does usually make it more difficult to transition into other types of chords. In any case I don't think I've ever seen anyone play them with their first 3 fingers. I have big hands and CAN fret the notes how you are describing (if I'm understanding correctly), but even for me it's a lot less comfortable than the other ways of doing it. I can see how someone with small hands would struggle a lot to play them that way.
Quote by steven seagull

Power chords aren't that easy though, I don't know why there's this myth where people think it's the best place to start. A power chord is just the bottom half of a barre chord, and barre chords are trickier than open chords. For me it was a lot easier to first get to grips with playing open chords up by the nut. Maintaining the spacing of my fingers for a power chord while also having to adjust it slightly when moving up and down the neck took a lot of getting used to. If I'd started out trying to play then I'd never have got anywhere, it wasn't until I'd got better at telling my fingers what to do when they weren't moving that I could make progress with moving them around.

I found power chords a lot easier at the start than open chords. I played piano before guitar, though, so that might have had something to do with it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
Why on earth are you trying to use your middle finger for power chords? Nobody does that, use your ring and pinky of flatten your ring finger across the two strings. Also power chords tend to sound pretty crappy on an acoustic, the whole point of them is that they sound better on an electric because full chords can sound muddy with distortion, but it's the distortion that allows you to get away with playing a chord with just two pitches in it.

Finally I wouldn't bother with hand exercisers or anything like that, they're a waste of money and don't actually do anything that really helps.

i dunno root 5th power chords are easier to learn. less strings to have mute on you and mees up the chord. now as for moving them well that does take practice to do smootly for sure. again though you are really only holding 2-3 notes which is easier than a full barre any way you look at it. should you start with basic open chords, yes. to many shortcuts are taken these days buy guys who just wnat to be shred superstars that bite them in the ass later.
I haven't been bitten in the ass yet

(that's just jinxed me, hasn't it? )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't been bitten in the ass yet

(that's just jinxed me, hasn't it? )

yup bit ass biting coming your way
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Rebel Scum;
The problem is that i cant play the chords, but i'll go to the guitar store as you mentioned and see if they got something that can help. Thanks man!

steven seagull;
I do not use my little finger because its so damn weak that i cant press down the strings (it has been brooken like 5-6 times). And i do not start with power chords either, i've been playing guitar for 2 years but i started playing chords alot more in february because its more chill. I can play alot of songs like stolen dance, i see fire etc.... The reason i didnt know the difference between power and barre chord is that i just pick a song and see what tabs/chords they have and try to learn it.
Quote by Sn0wie
Rebel Scum;
The problem is that i cant play the chords, but i'll go to the guitar store as you mentioned and see if they got something that can help. Thanks man!

steven seagull;
I do not use my little finger because its so damn weak that i cant press down the strings (it has been brooken like 5-6 times). And i do not start with power chords either, i've been playing guitar for 2 years but i started playing chords alot more in february because its more chill. I can play alot of songs like stolen dance, i see fire etc.... The reason i didnt know the difference between power and barre chord is that i just pick a song and see what tabs/chords they have and try to learn it.

Due to that pinky condition, I advise to flatten your ring finger across the strings instead of ring + pinky as steven said. It's impossible to play with index + middle + ring.

I've seen some people flatten their pinky instead of the ring finger, sometimes I do that too, but since you have that problem with your pinky, you have to do it with your ring finger.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 24, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
Due to that pinky condition, I advise to flatten your ring finger across the strings instead of ring + pinky as steven said. It's impossible to play with index + middle + ring.

I've seen some people flatten their pinky instead of the ring finger, sometimes I do that too, but since you have that problem with your pinky, you have to do it with your ring finger.

Yep this seems like the best way to me too. Using your middle finger in power chords is just always going to be awkward in my opinion. This is also the way most people play 5th string root major barre chords too, just with 1 extra string barred with their ring finger.

I don't know how bad of shape their pinky is in from breaking it, but it might still be possible to play with that too. I only say this because everyone's pinky feels very weak and uncoordinated compared to their other fingers, and the only way to improve it is to use it. Whether that's possible for sn0wie or not I don't know.
Quote by DanyFS

Thanks alot man