So I've worked out that it'll be cheaper and more fun to build my own cab than to buy one, but I've got a couple of questions.

1: Are celestion 70/80s really that bad? I'm aiming at a budget of ~£90 for the whole project, so I'm saving about £50 on buying a cab that has one of these in it anyway, but there's lots of bad comments on this speaker around the web.

2: What material can you use to cover the cab in, I was thinking of just painting it or putting a stain on it. Would you recommend anything different?

many thanks in advance
I haven't played 70/80's in person but all the clips I have heard don't sound great. If I were you I would spend a little more and get some V-types...of coarse speaker choice all depends on what amp you are running into them

to cover the cab you can get vinyl from most fabric shops or get some proper tolex from online
1. They're not great, but they're not atrocious. If it were me, I'd buy Avatar's Hellatone 60's (these are Vintage 30s that have been run through a break-in process -- excellent). They're $109 each, but I have no idea what they'd be delivered to you...

http://avatarspeakers.com/home/product/hellatone-60/

2. I've used two things that have been stellar: Duratex (by Acrytex). It's a sort of rubberized textured paint that's used heavily in the Pro Audio business. Protects far better than ordinary paint, easy to fix if it's dinged, looks like a textured tolex when applied with the roller they supply. http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

Check at the bottom of the page -- they have a one-pint black trial size kit for $26.50 that includes enough for a couple of cabinets and a pair of their special rollers. If you have a particular color you want, they can (sometimes) supply a custom color kit for about five bucks more (again, bottom of the page). They also have videos and .pdf files that show you how to apply it and what the final coat will look like.

Second thing I've used is LineX. Google it. Unless you know someone who knows someone who applies this stuff, it will be more expensive than you want for your cabinet but it's near-bulletproof. Another option that's similar-ish, not quite as bulletproof but probably cheaper is spray-on pickup truck bed liner (they probably have this stuff in cans).
^ he's in the UK, I'm not sure avatar even ships here, and if they do any savings will be eroded by postage I imagine.

good while since i've tried 70/80s, they definitely have the rep of being mediocre at best, though. Plus they're like £55... I mean the eminence legends and most of the ceramic WGS speakers are only slightly more (~£65). I'd definitely err on the side of those before considering a 70/80.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

good while since i've tried 70/80s, they definitely have the rep of being mediocre at best, though. Plus they're like £55... I mean the eminence legends and most of the ceramic WGS speakers are only slightly more (~£65). I'd definitely err on the side of those before considering a 70/80.

Thanks for the advice, I looked around and rekon a WGS reaper fits the bill pretty nicely.
Quote by dspellman
1. They're not great, but they're not atrocious. If it were me, I'd buy Avatar's Hellatone 60's (these are Vintage 30s that have been run through a break-in process -- excellent). They're $109 each, but I have no idea what they'd be delivered to you...

http://avatarspeakers.com/home/product/hellatone-60/

2. I've used two things that have been stellar: Duratex (by Acrytex). It's a sort of rubberized textured paint that's used heavily in the Pro Audio business. Protects far better than ordinary paint, easy to fix if it's dinged, looks like a textured tolex when applied with the roller they supply. http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

Check at the bottom of the page -- they have a one-pint black trial size kit for $26.50 that includes enough for a couple of cabinets and a pair of their special rollers. If you have a particular color you want, they can (sometimes) supply a custom color kit for about five bucks more (again, bottom of the page). They also have videos and .pdf files that show you how to apply it and what the final coat will look like.

Second thing I've used is LineX. Google it. Unless you know someone who knows someone who applies this stuff, it will be more expensive than you want for your cabinet but it's near-bulletproof. Another option that's similar-ish, not quite as bulletproof but probably cheaper is spray-on pickup truck bed liner (they probably have this stuff in cans).

That alone makes me want to build another cabinet, although. I lack a decent table saw now

That bed liner stuff, there are several types.
I bought some in a spray can and it turned out to be paint thin, but durable so far though.
I wanted the thicker stuff. They had that in quart and gallon sizes for brush on though.
Home Depot or Lowes.
Last edited by CodeMonk at May 24, 2015,
your in the UK, get a Harley Benton G212 vintage or G412 vintage cab from Thomann. These come loaded with Celestion V30's which are the go to speakers for a lot of company's.

The 2x12 is 152.85GBP
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
and the 4x12 is 276.56GBP
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_vintage.htm

Celestion 70/80's are not very good speakers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by CodeMonk
That alone makes me want to build another cabinet, although. I lack a decent table saw now

That bed liner stuff, there are several types.
I bought some in a spray can and it turned out to be paint thin, but durable so far though.
I wanted the thicker stuff. They had that in quart and gallon sizes for brush on though.
Home Depot or Lowes.

There's a company called Speakerhardware.com that has some speaker cabinets available as cut sheet kits. No table saw necessary. Send them the plans, see what they'll do.

The spray-can bedliners do surprisingly well, but LineX is a mixture of two chemicals that mix in the nozzle and that goes on hot. You have to take whatever you want coated to a LineX dealer. Within a few minutes it's ready to take home (though you really should be careful with it for a day or two). It ends up something between 1/8th and 1/4" thick and it's literally structural. Check out some of its military uses.
Quote by Robi_g123
Thanks for the advice, I looked around and rekon a WGS reaper fits the bill pretty nicely.

just make sure it's enough wattage for what you want
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just make sure it's enough wattage for what you want

Actually I was thinking about that, I'm going to be running this with a micro terror. Will the 30W speaker be ok with the 20W output of the MT? I heard somewhere you want to aim for at least twice the speaker wattage as your amps output power to avoid damaging / blowing the speaker.
I just play at home so I probably won't be able to go anywhere near max volume, but I'd be nice to know that the headroom's there.

ie, should I be looking at something around 40W?
Last edited by Robi_g123 at May 24, 2015,
i imagine it should be fine, the microterror is solid state, isn't it? the impedance of the speaker also affects the wattage with solid state amps, higher impedance means less wattage normally with solid state amps (I think).

EDIT: if you're really worried though, or want it to be more future-proof in case you get a different amp in future, wgs does a higher-wattage version of the reaper. whether it sounds the same, though, I dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i imagine it should be fine, the microterror is solid state, isn't it? the impedance of the speaker also affects the wattage with solid state amps, higher impedance means less wattage normally with solid state amps (I think).

I'll go with what I've got now, this is going to be a step up from a 5.5" £25 combo (see pic). So I'm guessing I'll be pretty pleased with whatever I manage to knock together.
Thanks for all the help

LOL, and no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's pretty much finished now, in the end I went with an Eminence V12, it sounds great.

Pretty annoyed with the top panel fit at the front, because every other joint is great. The holes on the top aren't visible once the amp is in place.

All that's left is something to protect the speaker and some velcro for the micro terror. So happy right now

link to more pictures: http://
Last edited by Robi_g123 at Jun 3, 2015,
You really went eclectic with the screw selection didn't you?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You really went eclectic with the screw selection didn't you?

I just had them lying around and didn't want to spend more than I had to. :P
Nice work
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?