Just for fun, I built this.

The cigar box I scored for $10. The steel I used for the backbone cost $10, cut to size. It's just a piece of 5mm (3/16") plate.
Everything else I already had. The tuners are just some old Squier ones I had. It will get Grover lockers. The bridge is a compensated Wilkinson. The pickup is a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder. The jack is Switchcraft. Grover straplock pins.

Here's the insides:

The two blocks of wood between the steel an the box is mahogany. The wooden reinforcing is just shitty old pinus radiata I had lying around.
It has no knobs. I simply placed a 270K resistor across the output to tame the top end.

It plays quite well. It is designed to be used for slide. I may use it at the next gig.
The whole thing weighs 2kg (4.4 lb)

Clips to follow a bit later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Boxy, but good!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It's not much different in size to the old cricket bat Steinbergers - and you know how much I love those.

Basically, I had a spare tele neck so I thought, "what can I do with this?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ha! That looks frickin' awesome! It looks much cleaner and neater than the cigar box guitars I've come across. Looking forward to hearing the clips.

That makes me wanna give it a try, I'm pretty sure I already have all the necessary parts to mangle with my inept craftsmanship.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
It's a very simple design. The pieces of mahogany are 15mm thick. The steel is 290mm long and 54mm wide. That's for a tele neck of course.
I've never seen anybody use a steel spine before but I think the whole "tonewood" thing is mostly bollock so why not try steel? It's easier. Seems to work.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Can, say, a thin piece of wood be used instead of steel? Is the scale length important? I have a spare generic Floyd Rose bridge...should I? Lol
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Yeah but it might vibrate and rob sustain. It also has to be strong enough so as not to warp too. It's taking the full force of the strings.
Well, you have to place the bridge in the right spot so it will intonate properly.
How the **** would you mount a Floyd?

Better pic:
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

People build and sell those for stupid money around here, often with only 3 or 4 strings.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Buy some cheap tele necks and build a couple then. Most of those 3 or 4 string cigar box guitars are almost unplayable. Chinese necks are cheap man. Add your own label. Job done.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
that shit is glorious. one of those pickup covers that fit on the ashtray bridge would look awesome on it.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
ripping slide gear right there. nice job cath!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
but wouldn't a cuban cigar box be better. i heard that the wood in those boxes has far better tone

nice bet that guitar really smokes
Very nice work Does it sound like a hollowbody or have bad feedback?

^^ LOL, well played
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks, guys.
It is a Cuban cigar box. The box is just decorative, the steel plate does all the work.
And no, no more feedback than any of my other guitars.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Very cool cath would love to here it in action as when my grandfather passed away he had loads of old cigar boxes I snatched up. Now to find some cheap necks and start the creation.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
It is mildly louder acoustically than say a tele but still not very loud. So the steel must be resonating a little - but very little. If I make another, I may try 1/4" steel but I doubt that it will make a lot of difference.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sorry that I haven't recorded any clips yet. Been having problems with my recording rig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

And no, no more feedback than any of my other guitars.

thanks, sounds good
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The neck dive was a PITA at the last gig so i added a strap hanger. It's actually 6mm steel. it runs down the entire length of the body.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Looks like you got a place to put a pick holder, now!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That is a very cool guitar. May try my hand at one for a camp ground rig with my little DC philco table top radio/tube amp.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Cathbard, how is the neck access with the new strap hanger? Not too close to the thumb, is it?

My thumb goes nowhere near it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire