Yes another one of those threads lol
I've recorded a few songs and gotten a drummer to play with, so before we start playing shows I'd like to get a new amp. We play modern hard rock/metal; Chevelle, 10 Years, Tool etc. So, I'm looking for something loud enough to play over drums, but I use my own distortion, so finding a good amp distortion isn't a necessity.

I've been thinking something like a 50watt with a single 12" speaker, or maybe even a 120watt 2x12 if I can find a good deal. Budget isn't really an issue, but I'm not looking for an Orange or Mesa and spending 800 for a single 12" speaker setup. Something more along the 3-$500 range? Maybe a 60watt by Peavey will fit my needs?

I don't have a preference for solid state or tube, but I don't want a line6 and don't like modeling amps in general, too synthetic sounding imo. I also don't really like marshall's, call me crazy but I don't like their sound and think they're overrated.

I play a PRS SE 245 and a Schecter Omen Extreme which I keep in drop C if that helps anything. Thanks for your input
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
6505?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
fender hot rod deluxe
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
If you're talking about amps, then $800 for a 1x12" combo can be pretty little money y' know.
Also more speaker isn't necessarily better than one speaker - more speakers are heavy, and during gigs you will not need them 'cause they can mic up one speaker alone.

I'd try and see if you can find a used rectoverb or single/dual recto for around your budget.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I would suggest looking into the Peavey XXX or Ultra series combo amps - they are U.S. made unlike the newer 6505 combo (not that the 6505 combo amps aren't nice in their own right). The prices on them have been going up and they are getting harder to find, but they can still be found in the range you're looking at. They have fantastic overdrive channels, and the clean channel takes pedals pretty nicely. You also have the benefit of an effects loop, three independent channels on the xxx, spring reverb, and some other niceties. The Ultra has a shared EQ for the gain channels. I know you like your pedal set up, but having the flexibility of using an amps overdrive isn't something that should be overlooked when paying money for an amp. Get the most for your money, don't compromise, and don't assume you'll never need a particular channel on an amp.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
I would suggest looking into the Peavey XXX or Ultra series combo amps - they are U.S. made unlike the newer 6505 combo (not that the 6505 combo amps aren't nice in their own right). The prices on them have been going up and they are getting harder to find, but they can still be found in the range you're looking at. They have fantastic overdrive channels, and the clean channel takes pedals pretty nicely. You also have the benefit of an effects loop, three independent channels on the xxx, spring reverb, and some other niceties. The Ultra has a shared EQ for the gain channels. I know you like your pedal set up, but having the flexibility of using an amps overdrive isn't something that should be overlooked when paying money for an amp. Get the most for your money, don't compromise, and don't assume you'll never need a particular channel on an amp.

totally agree. the fact that my main amp is a Peavey Ultra 2x12 only has a little (ok a lot) to do with it. getting an amp with good distortion should be a priority since you play stuff that requiers it. belive me it will sound better than your pedals. just get an overdrive and let the amp do the heavy lifting.
+1
Peavey XXX/ultra/JSX
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've honestly never been a fan of the whole head/cab setup. Seems like too much work when you can find a nice combo amp, and usually cheaper. Maybe I'm just being lazy, or haven't found one a like yet.
How would something like a Randall RG80 be? Or a Peavey Bandit?
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
Combos are no easier to move around because they weigh so damn much.

RG's and Bandits will work but they don't sound that good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you don't care about the amp distortion, just get a used Peavey ValveKing 112 or 212 combo and be done with it. $130 - $400 depending on the deal you can find.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Thinking maybe the ValveKing now, or maybe a Bugera 6260, I saw several mixed reviews on Bugera's though
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
You do know that Bugeras are Behringer don't you? Behringer are the epitome of "cheap and nasty." The Valveking isn't one of Peavey's better amps but it's still miles ahead of Bugera for build quality. Bugeras are ok if it's just for home but I wouldn't trust one if you are lugging it around to gigs.
Seriously, look for a used Ultra/XXX/JSX. Those are good Peaveys.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That Bugera 6260 -

1. Bugera and gigging amp probably aren't the best combination of words. There are better values in the used market for gigging.

2. That 6260 is a copy of a Peavey 5150. That amp is not what really anyone would buy as a pedal platform. . . .

For a pedal platform amp the ValveKing will be fine. Look into some of the Fenders as well - I'm just not familiar with their line up.

Now if you wanted to purchase an amp in your budget to have good cleans for a pedal platform AND overdrive or distortion to pull of the tones you want then that's another thread completely and you should listen to the Ultra/XXX/JSX suggestions.

Or how about this, get a used JSX combo. The clean channel is very nice to use with your pedals if you don't like the other 2 channels. It's still in your budget.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably go with a Peavey then. I've always heard good about them.
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
Jet City is another thing worth considering. Depending on whether or not you're into the Soldano sound. You can upgrade the output transformer at a later stage and bridge the gap to an actual Soldano a bit. That's where a lot of the cost cutting is done.
The JCA22H is giggable, just run it as a wedge and mike it up. But ideally, the JCA100H, or a JCA5212 if you want a lower gain amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I use my xxx 2x12 combo more than I do my Mesa combo. That should speak volumes about the xxx. And it was half the cost of my Mesa.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11
I use my xxx 2x12 combo more than I do my Mesa combo. That should speak volumes about the xxx. And it was half the cost of my Mesa.

When you put it that way...
lol yeah I think I'll go with a Peavey. I'm sure I can find one used in the $2-300 range with a little scouring.
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
You can find Peavey ultra/ultra+ for $300ish, but they are becoming harder to find.

Here is a Peavey XXX super40 1x12 (a little different than the 2x12 XXX) for $380
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-XXX-Super-40-Combo-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110546278-i3960608.gc

Here is a Peavey JSX 2x12 for $500, and it is a better amp than the XXX IMO
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-JSX-Joe-Satriani-Signature-2X12-120W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111073174-i4317941.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by WildMiles96
When you put it that way...
lol yeah I think I'll go with a Peavey. I'm sure I can find one used in the $2-300 range with a little scouring.

You're most likely to find the XXX 40 watt 1x12 combo. They are fine amps, but not as flexible. Some have built in digital effects, but I am not familiar with how those sound. The downside to the 40 Watt model is the shared EQ for the crunch and ultra channels. Try to hold out and find a 60 Watt model if you are looking for a XXX 1x12.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by RJH11

No, it'd speak volumes about your tone preference
Only use able channel on that amp is the crunch, crap cleans and uber fizzy diarrhea lead channel.
If you want to get 3 channel amp and use only one, it works I guess
Jsx is a different beast, I love that amp as it covers the whole tonal range, no wonder Satch used it for so long.
Someone has offered me a fender champion 100 2x12 for trade. How would this be as a pedal platform? It's a fender so I expect it might be to bright for the heavy lows I'll need
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
JSX is superior, but more expensive. Cleans on the XXX are sterile - good for a pedal platform, no coloration from the amp. The Crunch channel is supposedly the Ultra channel on the JSX. The Ultra channel on the XXX can be tamed pretty easily. A 12at7 tube in the V1 turns the XXX into a totally different animal.
Quote by WildMiles96
Someone has offered me a fender champion 100 2x12 for trade. How would this be as a pedal platform? It's a fender so I expect it might be to bright for the heavy lows I'll need

What would you be trading? It's a solid state Fender which sells new for around 330.00. So, used, cut that in half, that is about all it is worth. There is a reason why the guy wants to trade it - he can't sell it, and he doesn't want it.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at May 25, 2015,
It'd be either my line6 micro spider, or my crate flexwave. So I think it'd be a fair trade
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
That would be an okay trade, but I think the Fender is going to leave you feeling a bit underwhelmed. Can't hurt to try if it isn't going to cost you anything. But, you have to see an amp for more than something you plug in and turn up loud. Fender amps are not particularly well known for hard rock / metal type music (with the exception of a few amps made for that market like the Prosonic and Machete). Fender tube amps can at least be pushed into a decent overdrive ala Bassman (def. not hard-rock or metal gain), but the solid states are pretty much loud clean amps. If you were looking to do some jazz or country picking - I'd say it would be a perfect amp for you.

But for Hard-rock music... eh. You have to consider the speakers in the combo as well - they are going to be fender special speakers aka Eminence 1258 which are modeled after the Jensen C12N. I don't know how well those will do what you are looking to do. It may end up being a farty mess. I've heard them in Hot Rod series amps with some gain like alt. rock/punk, but never pushed into hard-rock/metal territory with low tuning at high volume.

I would really recommend getting a tube combo more targeted at modern rock music - that way you're investing in an amp you will want to keep for a long time and will likely do what you're looking to do musically. If you want to go solid-state, then at least look for a Randall or a Peavey XXL / Supreme.

It's a convenient trade, and won't cost you a dime, but I don't know if it will end up doing what you are hoping it will. What is your primary distortion pedal(s)?
I've always used the classic DS-1, but recently I started messing around with my multi-effects amp simulators; I actually really like the Rectifier sound, though it may not be an accurate representation.
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
thunderpunk is dead on.

loud =/= good. if you are that desperate for loud, maybe it would work for you.

the fenders suck for high gain. i also don't know how well it would take pedals for OD/distortion.

i think you need to get a cheap decent tube amp, or something like a randall SS, or even peavey. i had the transtube supreme back in 2002, and it wasn't a bad amp for metal. i have also owned several randalls.

for ****s sake, even a peavey VK would work for you. you can EASILY land a 1x12" combo for not much more than $200, if that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by WildMiles96
I've always used the classic DS-1, but recently I started messing around with my multi-effects amp simulators; I actually really like the Rectifier sound, though it may not be an accurate representation.
If you're talking about simulating a Mesa rectifier with the RP50 .. well you're in for a treat when you get your new amp.

I think Chevelle AND Tool are both Diezel and/or Marshall users. A JSX, XXX or a VK with a bit of work will get you in the ballpark but your best bet might be a used Vypyr Tube 60. Put the $29 you get from selling your Digitech and DS1 towards a Sanpera controller and you're away.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A