Please be more specific. They are different guitars, give us this info: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

The biggest difference is on the pickups. LTD has active pups and Jackson has passive pickups. They will also feel different in your hands because the neck shape and fretboard radius are different.

Personally I would choose the Jackson because I don't like active pickups and I prefer the compound radius. But the LTD neck is quite comfortable too. If the pickups aren't a deal breaker, then you should try them out and see which one feels best to you, because that's where they differ the most.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 24, 2015,
Budget? - absolute limit is 1000

Favorite Artists? - Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Saxon

Preferences? - definitely want a strat style body

Pickups? - not sure, never really tryed passive pickups

New or Used? - would like to get it used for cheaper

Location? - Highland, California

Current Gear? - My current guitar is a dean vmnt dave mustaine got it for around 700
im worriedi wont get enough metal tone out of the jackson passive pickups, will I?
Of course you will get a metal tone out of passive pickups. Those aren't Jackson stock pickups, they are Seymour Duncans. If I'm not mistaken, Dave Mustaine used passive Seymour Duncans on the early albums. He now uses an active version of the passive SDs he used to have. Honestly, his signature set is one of the few active pickups I actually like.

I suppose your VMNT has the active pickups that I'm talking about. They are very good.

I play metal and I don't like EMGs. They sound too thin and sterile for me, but they are good for tuning down, like B and C standard.

Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden uses passive pickups too if I'm not mistaken.

If you go used you have many other options, you can probably get better guitars for the same price as those 2 you mentioned.

I don't live in the US, so I don't know where to look for used gear in there. Can't help you with that, so I'll let someone else give you recommendations about that.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 24, 2015,
Passives are awesome for metal, and that combo is like the standard for metal.

It does depend on your amp though.
Id get the Jackson cause im loving the fretboard on mine atm more than my LTD.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
@DANYFS yeah man the Dave Mustaine Active Seymore Duncans are amazing, would never change them. oh man this is such a hard decision for me haha!
Personally I couldn't resist getting that gorgeous Soloist if I were in your situation.

US-made Jacksons, the stuff that the pros use, come with passive pickups, so there's no way you can't get enough of a metal sound with the Soloist.
I'd personally take the chance with the Soloist because they look incredibly dope and I really like the neck profiles that Jacksons typically have.

You cannot go wrong with either. They're both very good guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by camerjamer1
im worriedi wont get enough metal tone out of the jackson passive pickups, will I?

you can certainly get metal out of passives. both Saxon and Maiden used passives on all of their classic albums. many modern metal bands use actives but they definitely aren't needed.
I'd recommend the Jackson SL2Q. I have a Jackson RRMG that has the same neck on it. BUT I will also toss this one into the mix because it has actives and some other things you're into. You may love it, never know.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-pro-dinky-dk2rmg-m-electric-guitar/j16657000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CLnO3pmk28UCFZWHaQoduGAATw&kwid=productads-plaid^80557974747-sku^J16657000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by camerjamer1
well guys im gonna go for the Jackson then... Thanks for all your help!

Happy to help. If I get a shot at trading for one of those, I'll probably go for it myself. lol
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yeah, for what you want the Jackson is more the guitar you want.

Dave used the JB/Jazz combo for years before switching to his actives - which are basically the JB/Jazz, but active.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I don't have a Soloist Jackson. But I've played quite a few.
Some of the best guitars I've ever played.

MAKE SURE YOU POST A NGD THREAD!!!

EDIT: Also, what color are you getting. I'm digging the Transparent Black, personally.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at May 25, 2015,
Getting the Transparent black (Its quilted as well). can't wait to get this in the mail!
Quote by camerjamer1
Getting the Transparent black (Its quilted as well). can't wait to get this in the mail!

NIIIIIIICE!!!
I would've gone with that color as well.

Take some pics and post em ASAP when you get it.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by camerjamer1

Solid choice. I saw a Transparent Red on one of those once upon a time on Craigslist. I was pretty interested. I think it was the cheapest I'd ever seen an Ebony board, a real Floyd, and a neck through with quality pickups. Not that it's a cheap guitar, just affordable for how nice it is. Started making me believe I could get something I really wanted without selling any siblings. Can't wait to see the NGD!
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz