Page 1 of 2
Not sure if this is the best place for this thread, but figured I would put it here as it pertains to electric guitars.

Now, every company has its share of lemons - that is part of life. But, is there a certain guitar that you had always wanted to play, and when you finally got a chance, it left you feeling... meh?

This isn't intended to turn into a bashing/flame session, just an honest expression of opinion. Legitimate reasons please, not because a certain company made the guitar in question.

For me, it was the Ibanez Iceman (System of a Down anyone?). Every time I put my hands on one, I could never pull the trigger to buy one. It just left me feeling, meh. I couldn't get a feel for the Ibanez neck, being that I started out on Fender designs. It didn't feel right on the shoulder either for similar reasons. I never was able to bond with one, no matter how many I played. It seemed like one of those instruments that lightning and fire should shoot out of when you hit the strings, and for me it just felt awkward ha.

So tell me about your experience of disappointment.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Ibanez Fireman. I love big nevks, I love the Injector in my strat, and I love the look. Should be amazing, but it just never felt or sounded right.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Gibson Les Pauls, honestly I've never found one that felt good to me. All seemed too beefy and chunky, that being said Ibanez have always seemed waaaay to slim for me
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
I've felt sort of the same way about *le gasp* some PRS models.

I tried a USA Custom 24 and I just didn't like the way the neck felt and I just didn't like the gaudy aesthetics. It also didn't sound as ballsy as a Gibson LP going into the same amp and I found that disappointing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 24, 2015,
For me, it was pointy guitars. I LOVE the way they look...but I cannot stand the way they feel when I strap one on.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Gibson Explorer, probably. I've always loved the looks of it, but it felt really weird to play sitting down and it didn't sound good compared to similarly priced Gibsons. Also let down when I played a Fender Baja Tele. It just didn't live up to the expectations I had after playing other tele's. It just felt wrong.
Just about every commercially available 8 string out there. Never found one I jived with 100%. I'd go more expensive but I don't use 8 enough to justify the cost.

Also, the Schecter KM-7. Everyone said it was spectacular but it is way too modern feeling for me. Kinda felt like playing a bass more than a guitar haha.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
LTD EC-1000. I really wanted to love it, but couldn't stand the neck, or the sound...

But I'd give it another try...
BC Rich Warlock I remember as a teenage I wanted one ( I had a BC rich s3) got some spare cash and ordered one ,... as soon as I got it a realized this thing is uncomfortably WTF !!

the neck was BC Rich and it was a good guitar But it's poking Me and I don't like being poked that way !!!.. anyway sold it life goes on ...

it happened a second time with a Jackson Kelly tho at the guitar store so i didn't buy it I was like this play nice feels good then tried to do some solo stuff and was like WTF I can even get to the frets above 15 ? is this really how they designed it ? this was a early model I have played one since that did give access to the upper fretboard.
Les Pauls, my favourite artists play one but the lack of the forearm contour and the thickness of the body are deal breakers for me

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
Apart from ym old destroyer, every Ibanez I ever played. Horrible.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by ThunderPunk

Now, every company has its share of lemons - that is part of life. But, is there a certain guitar that you had always wanted to play, and when you finally got a chance, it left you feeling... meh?

In the last 6 years, I've kept rough track of the number of different serial numbers of original '59 bursts I've played (this is LA; they're like Lamborghinis on Rodeo Drive. Everywhere you look), and so far it's 27. Mostly each one is some guy's pride and joy (except for one guy who had four or five of them!) and a big investment. And even though I came *very* close to trading an old car for one at Rumble Seat, I've never felt they were anything special in person.

They were sought out in the '60's for two reasons. One, they (and some '58s and '60's) were the year that combined what we've come to know as basic LP ingredients: the cherry sunburst, larger frets (compared to the "fretless wonder" low low frets) and humbuckers. Two, they'd been discontinued and were hard to find, and because Clapton and Bloomfield were using them. They've been sought out since because a disproportionate number of them fell into the hands of those who would become guitar gods in the '60's.

Vintage dealers will sometimes do impromptu "blindfold" tests after the shows (bag the headstocks, keep hands away from the cutaway horns) and sneak a '59 into the mix of 6-10 guitars. They usually don't do all that well. The pickups are relatively low output compared to moderns, and they're the same pickup in both positions, whereas virtually everything built in the '90's and beyond have bridge pickups that are noticeably hotter than their neck pickups. So you'll have comments like, "pickups seem a bit thin or trebly," etc., and "guitar feels a little cheap." I've seen Agiles and Epiphones win on the basis of sound quality. Go figure.

So much for mythology.
For me it was a Korean-made Dean Cadillac. I know that lower-priced Deans don't get a lot of love here in the first place, but at the time, it was a big step up for me. It felt and played OK, but I just could never bond with it. The strange thing is that I couldn't say exactly *what* was wrong with it, just that it didn't feel right to me.
My first 2 electrics were Deans- a top of the line EVO (which is still an inexpensive guitar) and a USA Caddy. Love those axes to the present day, but I can definitely tell differences. Mostly in the electronics, oddly.

And despite/because of that, I tend to agree with the general UG consensus somewhat, and won't recommend low-end Deans.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 25, 2015,
Probably a CE-22 that I just didn't jive with.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Les Pauls, honestly. They don't sit right on my knee, they don't hang right on my strap, they don't feel right in my hands, everything just feels so wrong
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
There's no such thing as liking a Les Paul. It's called 'dealing with it'

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
There's no such thing as liking a Les Paul. It's called 'dealing with it'

Try a LP clone like the Electra Omega or a Reverend Rick Vito- might just change your tune...

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Try a LP clone like the Electra Omega or a Reverend Rick Vito- might just change your tune...

Yeah but I like Les Pauls.

I'm also a weirdo though.

Really though, if I wanted a bunch of sweet features from a guitar, I would probably skip out on single cuts all together. Would have to be something DC with a Stephen's cutaway. Insane switching possibilities and a floyd rose. I'd want it to be light and probably go for SS frets and a nice Shellac treatment.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at May 25, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Vintage dealers will sometimes do impromptu "blindfold" tests after the shows (bag the headstocks, keep hands away from the cutaway horns) and sneak a '59 into the mix of 6-10 guitars. They usually don't do all that well. The pickups are relatively low output compared to moderns, and they're the same pickup in both positions, whereas virtually everything built in the '90's and beyond have bridge pickups that are noticeably hotter than their neck pickups. So you'll have comments like, "pickups seem a bit thin or trebly," etc., and "guitar feels a little cheap." I've seen Agiles and Epiphones win on the basis of sound quality. Go figure.

That doesn't surprise me. I think if anyone thought they were only testing modern les paul style guitars and somebody decided to sneak an original sunburst les paul in there they'd naturally mistake certain vintage foibles as 'defects'. Also, lots of the early les pauls I've played did feel more fragile than new ones. Lighter, too...

Anyway, biggest let down for me - I want to love G&L guitars, because they sound awesome and the Legacy addresses a few minor issues I have with the classic Fender Stratocaster design as well as one major one (lack of a tone control for that awfully bright bridge pickup). But every time I play one it just doesn't feel "right" to me. It's frustrating, because I can tell they are excellent guitars... They just don't seem to agree with me
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Got myself a BC Rich Gunslinger Retro last year I think, playability was good but was lacking something sound wise. Changed the pickup for an EMG 81, but nope sounded good but was a tad too bright sounding, probably the maple neck/fretboard and angled pickup. Sold it on Ebay lol.
Gear

B.C Rich Wave Signature
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Schecter BlackJack ATX FR
Schecter Omen 7

Bugera 6262 212
Blackstar ID15 TVP
Quote by Blompcube

Anyway, biggest let down for me - I want to love G&L guitars, because they sound awesome and the Legacy addresses a few minor issues I have with the classic Fender Stratocaster design as well as one major one (lack of a tone control for that awfully bright bridge pickup). But every time I play one it just doesn't feel "right" to me. It's frustrating, because I can tell they are excellent guitars... They just don't seem to agree with me

My 2nd and 3rd biggest disappointments are of this nature, but with Fender and Gibson. I looked at I didn't know how many I looked at, searching for my first electrics, and never found anything from either company that felt right in my hands.

In contrast, I have found love with Stratclones and LPclones.

Well. A PRS neck. It was a PRS SE Custom of some form with an ebony fingerboard and jumbo frets. Now I always love ebony boards and jumbo frets, but the necks shape was far too thin for me...And I like a thin neck. Just not that thin. My Jackson RRMG has a "Jackson Speed Neck" on it and it's my favorite so far. Just has a bit of a flatter feel on the back where my thumb goes and it kinda gives me the illusion of something beefier in my hand, while still being unhindered. Whereas the PRS neck just felt too thin, while the board was still a good width. It just didn't sit right with me. Maybe I could get used to it. And it was an SE, and although I don't see an American made PRS being the exact same shape, the American still could be something I'd love.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
A BC Rich Mockingbird.
I get comfortable with most guitars, but holy crap, I tried playing it while sitting and the bastard kept sliding away.
Standing was not so bad. But when I wanted to just practice, the thing was extremely uncomfortable.

I got the thing by trading a wah pedal I never used, so I didn't really lose much by getting it.
I sold the uncomfortable bastard to a guitar shop for about $80.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at May 25, 2015,
For me it was the Slash Epiphone Corsa Rosso. I really wanted it bad... i pre-ordered it as soon as it was announced, waited about a month for the store to get it... Got to the store, and the guy brings it out, and I'm about to wet myself... The guy asks me if I wanted to play it first, which was a good thing. Played with it for about 30 min, and thought "this ain't worth $900 cdn ". I passed on it, got my deposit back.

Also, I was so disappointed with the quality control. The volume and tone knobs were screwed in at angles, although the store said they'd fix it for me, by that time I just wanted my deposit back.
oo also a while back i really wanted a Blackheart Little Giant, so i got one, and was majorly disappointed. I was a noob and it was my first tube amp, i thought there'd be 2 channels like an idiot, and being a 1 channel tube amp it didn't suit my cleans needs so i was so sad and disappointed lmao.

so i traded it and a bit of cash for a Traynor YCV50 and that monster is all the amp i'll probably ever need, i've never had the chance to really crank it and see what it can do volume wise although being 50 watts it's gonna blow my roof off lol.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

not guitars, but recent and both holding a bit of high regard. Bogner Uberschall, and a Diamond Nitrox.

first the Uberschall. i sat on it for a half hour, tweaking constantly, high volume, low volume, with boost, without boost, etc. it didn't sound massive or thundering as people say they are. big bummer. i guess that is $1600 that i don't have to spend. . i have quite a few of nice high gainers though.

second the Diamond. just a fizzy ****ing mess. terrible. i couldn't get anything decent out of it. i just hated it. i gave it 15 minutes, and didn't feel bad getting up. really disappointing. i almost bought one blind five or so years ago, very glad i didn't.

now guitars. the 2015 LP's (and i generally like gibsons)

what the HELL was gibson thinking??? the minitune is pure shit. terribly functioning useless mass on the headstock. terrible, i can tune a guitar faster without one. i didn't like the wider string spacing, but that just comes from being used to something different. but it did not feel like a gibson. saying that, i am a gibson fan. i have seven, from 1982 to 2009, a bit of everything with nothing overly extravagant.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^Edit: Thank you for bringing up Gibson's tuning nonsense, I hate that shit so much. It's bad enough that the unfulfilled desire I've had since I was thirteen to get a Gibson Les Paul may end sooner than expected because I can't get one of the new models because of that shit, and the old models are A. on clearance for $500 less and B. free from the bullshit so more valuable. Gibson loves fixing something that's not broken.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've felt sort of the same way about *le gasp* some PRS models.

I tried a USA Custom 24 and I just didn't like the way the neck felt and I just didn't like the gaudy aesthetics. It also didn't sound as ballsy as a Gibson LP going into the same amp and I found that disappointing.

I've always wanted to love PRS because A. they're gorgeous, B. they're incredibly functional, and C. they're made right here in Maryland, but they just never jive right. A certain character is lacking in the tone of this one, the neck of that one doesn't feel as good as other guitars, it's never the kind of balance you expect for three grand.

Here's another one: Most tubescreamer clones. I own a modern tubescreamer, a very nice 808 clone in the form of a Jekyll & Hyde, and I've used a vintage 808 that a local studio has extensively when I did a few sessions for them before college. Pretty much every single clone or "improvement" I've played sounds less like the vintage boxes than the modern models do, and usually it's a worse sound, for more money. People are paying $300 for boxes that sound more like a blanket being thrown on top of your amp than they do a real original 808.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 26, 2015,
Schecter- biggest let down. Although they look great they are cheap made guitars.I bought a hellraiser hybrid c1 that schecter prices at about 1600,00 euro. After a month the carbon binding on the headstock started to winkle out at the edge. Of course they didn’t replace it neither fix it. The authorized distributer just put some resin and said to me to live with the flaw. Cheap construction, cheap work , awful service and attitude.
^^ sounds like you might have just got a lemon, schecter are usually widely praised for being some of the better asian-made guitars out there, they aren't exactly cheap feeling or cheaply made instruments. and their customer service is usually very very good. Also, did you contact Schecter themselves, or did the place you got it from? An "authorized distributor" sounds like a store of cheap f_cks who don't want to shell out the money for customer satisfaction. Call Schecter directly. Always contact the manufacturer directly.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

sadly i'm another guy that just can't seem to bond with Les Pauls. i've owned 2 over the years so i can't say i didn't give them a fair chance. for some reason i just can't play them. of course many of my guitar heros are LP users so it's a huge let down that they aren't for me.

i did get to play a really great 59 many years back. i was so excited and of course played all the Led Zeppelin licks i knew. the guitar sounded just like jimmy Page through an old marshall amp.

i will mention VINTAGE GUITARS here as well. contrary to popular belief not all are automatic tone machines that play like magic. back when i first started playing 60s strats as well as some gibsons, gretschs and the occasional rickenbacker could be found easily and weren't all that expensive or coveted. played a bunch of them and most were nothing to write home about. i've also played a few 50s axes and while many were nice once again except that 59 LP none really stood out.
Add me to the les Paul list. I owned a 2012 Les Paul 1970's tribute edition and I wanted to love it but I just couldn't vibe with it. Another set back was playing sitting down, very uncomfortable. Neck heavy while playing standing up. I could go on and on. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely a quality instrument but , it didn't click with me.

I now own a 2004 Fender Jaguar HH and I am in love! I love the versatility of it and once I throw in a set of seymour duncan prail split coils I can only imagine the possiblities!
Quote by necrosis1193
I've always wanted to love PRS because A. they're gorgeous, B. they're incredibly functional, and C. they're made right here in Maryland, but they just never jive right. A certain character is lacking in the tone of this one, the neck of that one doesn't feel as good as other guitars, it's never the kind of balance you expect for three grand.

I would like to amend my previous statement. Went to try a Les Paul I was all but ready to buy today, very disappointed in it tonally. Unsettlingly shrill for a mahogany guitar, and as nice as the neck was, the tone just was not there. This lowers the number of Gibsons I played that I genuinely liked to two. On the other hand, I finally found a PRS that felt like a glove, ironically one of the cheaper S2 guitars.

I fit around a Les Paul, but my body won't let me play one because they're heavy and I'm frail. not really a problem either, I don't enjoy the sound a whole lot.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Dean ml 79=bust
Ec1000/viper 1000=bust
Jackson king v=bust, although normal non-pointy v's are comfortable for some reason
Jackson rr5=bust, felt like a 10 when i was 15, felt like a starter guitar when i was 22 lol
All of which i had extremely high hopes for
I never liked Gibson SG's, no matter which model and despite seeming like the ultimate rock n roll machine on paper. Badly balanced, thin and wobbly neck joint and non-existent sustain. The perfect example of something that looks cool and has all the right specifications, but just doesn't deliver.

Strats and Les Pauls all the way for me.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
im not too sure if this is the best place to put this question, but im thinking of buying a gibson sg standard although, looking through some threads about their quality control, im begining to think twice about my decision. anyway, despite what people are saying about the quality, what are they actually talking about; is it mainly the finish flaws or just the playability? or even both? and if it is the playability and how it sounds, is that mainly due to setup issues or just the pure fact that maybe some pickups are faulty?
Again, im not sure if this is the right place to put this but i was just wondering.
Quote by chriswalkerrrrr
im not too sure if this is the best place to put this question, but im thinking of buying a gibson sg standard although, looking through some threads about their quality control, im begining to think twice about my decision. anyway, despite what people are saying about the quality, what are they actually talking about; is it mainly the finish flaws or just the playability? or even both? and if it is the playability and how it sounds, is that mainly due to setup issues or just the pure fact that maybe some pickups are faulty?
Again, im not sure if this is the right place to put this but i was just wondering.

You tell me. What 'issues' are you seeing SG standards having?

Those threads are specific situations too and they don't speak for the whole range of guitars.

This is the wrong place to post this. You should make your own thread.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Page 1 of 2