I'm looking to get a new guitar later this year. I want one with passives since my current one has EMG Actives. I play mostly mid-high gain metal type stuff, and it'll be left in drop C. $800 max budget. I don't really have a preference regarding shape, but I'm not a fan of heavy guitars. Also prefer not to have a tremolo, as I mostly likely wont use it, but if it has one it'll be blocked. Any suggestions?
Fernandes has you covered.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com

And their online store is clearing out some stuff:
www.fernandesguitarshop.com

Also check out Deans in that price range, especially models in the '79s and Chicago series.

DBZ is another company with solid options.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 25, 2015,
Some of the LTD guitars are inside that price range. And the EC models have the classic single cutaway shape without Les Paul weight.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Quote by BlackFalcon17
Whoa, these guitars look pretty damn nice. Where are they based?

Fernandez is Japanese, but like many companies, much of their production comes out of South Korea.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 25, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
much of their production comes out of North Korea.

Ummm...

(Also I thought most of their production was in China?)
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one

Also, I'm pretty sure Schecter is an obvious option to consider here. I think all sorts of Blackjack series are a reasonable option, as there are many models with passive pickups (SD Nazgul/Sentient mostly), and also there's the Banshee series with SD Nazgul/Sentient. If you like heavy stuff and want to tune to drop C, I'm pretty sure they'll do great.
The Schecters are indeed nice due to their amazing stock pickups. You can't get a much better set for metal than the Nazgul/Sentient pair. I've also heard a lot of good things about Fernandez. However, both Dean and LTD are brands that I wouldn't recommend, even though I've not owned a guitar from either brand, I've heard a ton of stories about them falling apart pretty quickly. LTD's I've tried have also felt pretty cheap compared to other guitars in their price range. But that comes down to just personal opinion, a lot of people love them.
Haven't played either unfortunately, but while I heard mixed opinions about Dean, I've generally heard very solid opinions about LTDs in this price range.

By the way, to follow up my previous post, my suggestions:
http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/banshee/banshee-6-passive-2013-12-19-detail - <3 gorgeous, I played the active version and it's immensely comfortable to play.
http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/blackjack/blackjack-c-1-detail - same as above.
http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/blackjack-sls/blackjack-sls-c-1-p-2013-12-05-detail - also absolutely gorgeous, although the Full Shred pickup is not to everyone's liking as it has a more bassy sound, while the Nazgul is far sharper-sounding and more trebly.

But either way, all three are around the $800 area if I'm correct, and are definitely awesome.
Danelectro Hodad? Lipstick humbuckers? Those are metal right?

You could look into the Fender standard telecaster HH. They are going for around 500 right now. That leaves you room to get a nice hard case and do a humbucker upgrade. It's a hardtail. And it comes in either black, white, or silver.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Fernandez is Japanese, but like many companies, much of their production comes out of North Korea.

SOUTH Korea.

Last edited by dspellman at May 25, 2015,
Hahaha nice meme. I have a lot to think about now. Because I own Ibanez guitars and thery are comfortable for me, I think I was having a hard time selecting another brand. Now that my mind is more open, I guess I have a lot of guitars to try out!
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Ummm...

(Also I thought most of their production was in China?)

Damn! I meant SOUTH Korea. (Fixed.)

The "X" models are almost definitely Chinese, and the top end is Japanese, but everything in between is MiSK, AFAIK.

Quote by Kevätuhri
However, both Dean and LTD are brands that I wouldn't recommend, even though I've not owned a guitar from either brand, I've heard a ton of stories about them falling apart pretty quickly. LTD's I've tried have also felt pretty cheap compared to other guitars in their price range. But that comes down to just personal opinion, a lot of people love them.

Low-end Deans- as in $500 or less- are generally pretty terribad, and I wouldn't recommend one. But I own an EVO and a high-end Caddy that are quite nice. In the $800+ range, they're worth considering.

FWIW, my EVO was a $500 guitar...in 2003. That's @$650 in today's currency, so it doesn't fall under my ban.

TheLiberation, looking at the Schecter guitars, and none of the ones that are being sold have the Nazgul/Sentient pickups like on the Schecter website. Has it changed?

Edit: like for the Banshee, "Seymour Duncan JB SH-4/'59 SH-1N." Are they the same thing?
Last edited by BlackFalcon17 at May 25, 2015,
Stay away from schecter. Although they look great they are cheap made guitars.I bought a hellraiser hybrid c1 that schecter prices at about 1600,00 euro. After a month the carbon binding on the headstock started to winkle out at the edge. Of course they didn’t replace it neither fix it. The authorized distributer just put some resin and said to me to live with the flaw. Cheap construction, cheap work , awful service and attitude.
Quote by BlackFalcon17
TheLiberation, looking at the Schecter guitars, and none of the ones that are being sold have the Nazgul/Sentient pickups like on the Schecter website. Has it changed?

Edit: like for the Banshee, "Seymour Duncan JB SH-4/'59 SH-1N." Are they the same thing?

SH-4 is the bridge pickup, '59 is the neck pickup. They are different pickups that will give you different sounds obviously.

Quote by Vassilis1981
Stay away from schecter. Although they look great they are cheap made guitars.I bought a hellraiser hybrid c1 that schecter prices at about 1600,00 euro. After a month the carbon binding on the headstock started to winkle out at the edge. Of course they didn’t replace it neither fix it. The authorized distributer just put some resin and said to me to live with the flaw. Cheap construction, cheap work , awful service and attitude.

You may have got a lemon. It happens But they should have fixed it if it was still in warranty.
Quote by DanyFS
SH-4 is the bridge pickup, '59 is the neck pickup. They are different pickups that will give you different sounds obviously.

What I meant to ask is if the pair is identical to the Nazgul/Sentient, but with a different name. I'm guessing the Nazgul/Sentient set is for the newest models and the places I'm looking at (Guitar Center, Zzounds, Musicians Friend) don't have them yet.
Quote by BlackFalcon17
What I meant to ask is if the pair is identical to the Nazgul/Sentient, but with a different name. I'm guessing the Nazgul/Sentient set is for the newest models and the places I'm looking at (Guitar Center, Zzounds, Musicians Friend) don't have them yet.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood you. I looked around the web and yes, they are like the modern version of the SH4/'59. I guess there should be some slight differences in sound, but about that I'm not sure because I never tried the Nazgul/Sentient set, so I can't help you with that any further.
I've liked about every Schecter I've played, but... They've ALL been heavy. Like absurdly heavy.
Quote by BlackFalcon17

Hm, that's weird, I'm pretty sure the Banshee is a relatively new series and always came with Nazgul/Sentient in the passive version, and I think Blackjacks also tended to have higher-output pickups even in the older versions. Do you have any links?

Quote by Vassilis1981

You're literally the first person I heard have quality issues of any kind with a Schecter. Although the bad service is mostly on the distributor's side then. Also, was it just that? If yes, I think it's hardly valid to say a guitar is cheaply made because of slight issues with the finish?

I have two of my own (a Demon 7, which is a relatively inexpensive model, and a C-1 Classic, which is probably a solid "mid-tier" guitar) and I love them to bits, and I've played several other Schecters at a store and would get another one if possible without hesitation.

We need the_bi99man in here.
come on guys. there are lemons from every brand. some occur more often though.

i personally haven't ever been a fan of Dean. and i had a friend who loved them and had a bunch (cadillac, V, razorback). they weren't shitty guitars, but you can do much better for your money. for example i had my jacksons then, we paid similar prices, but the jacksons won out. also dean tend to have a bad resale value from what i have seen.

also LTD isn't terrible either. i would take them over a dean or a schecter though. i owned a EC400 EC401 and an EC1000, and they were overall nice, but the EC400 was the best. the 401 is the worst of them, (i think that was the first model after they relocated factorys).

i really like ibanez, saying that they are comfortable for me, but not everybody. i would prefer ibanez over jackson over ESP over schecter over dean. lol. thats just me though.

i also wouldn't recommend buying a guitar for pickups. the guitar is the most important. pickups are relatively reasonable. if you buy a guitar with good pickups you can sell/trade those pickups to find something better.

take it for what its worth, because as always subjective when it comes to personal taste.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/