Hello,
I need a bass guitar and I don't know a lot about it since I'm a guitar player.
My goal is to have a decent bass but my budget is low, as low as possibile without getting a piece of junk.
Also, do I need an amp or can I go directly into the PA?
I live in Europe, Italy to be exact.
Thanks
You don't necessarily need an amp (though I think it's a good thing to have) - you could get a DI box. I have heard that Behringer makes a good cheap copy of the Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver.

I would suggest going to a music store and trying some basses. If you found a bass that you liked, look at the used market, and you may find the same bass for a lot cheaper. People say good things about the Squier Classic Vibe series. Ibanez SR series is also a common choice.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If you own a P.A. system - or if you have access to a P.A. system at the places where you play - then you can always go direct. You just need a D.I. box and two cords. Is this a good idea? Well; it depends on your P.A. system. If it is a good one with plenty of power, then it will work fine. If it is one of the small systems that is designed to handle vocals only, then it would not be a good idea.

As for what basses to consider; we need to know what brands are available in the area of Italy where you reside. And are you willing to buy a used instrument? Are there used instruments available in your area?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Squier Vintage Modified Precision bass

Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
You do not need an amp.
You can buy a DI Box or a SansAmp, or something like the Yamaha PB-1 Bass Preamp and do quite well, as long as the house PA can handle a bass.

You can find used Yammie's for sale around $200. Those who are connoisseurs of such things claim that this is the Pre to own. I have access to 2, and the support company who is taking care of me is selling the one I recorded with back in 07 because they have the 2 better specimens.

Play as many basses as you can. Even those that you do not like the look of.
Learn what you like and what you cannot live without.
I recommend trying out the BTB450 if you can find one, but you will never catch hell for showing up with a Jazz Style Bass. People with small hands love that bass.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B