Well, the obvious thing here is that this isn't an original recording, so it kind of belongs to the cover forum :P EDIT: ninja mods strike again eh?

Secondly, if you want to make an impressive video, I'd change a few things around. To be completely honest with you, even though your skills are pretty facemelting, the whole thing sounded pretty ugly. Playing a Paganini piece like that, with speed like that and a ton of gain results in a "smear". It just sounds like an incomprehensible blur. There are a million Paganini shred guitar covers on youtube, to make yours stand out I think that a pure clean tone would work so much better, alongside some improvisation and just plain basic phrasing. Playing it note for note at that speed with a metal tone is something yngwie did way back in the middle ages. Or somewhere back then. But a blues version, or a slower, maybe even fingerpicked version? That would be something worth watching.

But 5/5 for technical talent. You could outman me so much in shredding that I feel weird even criticizing you.
Thats the kind of constructive criticism I appreciate.

Im kinda happy with this recording because I feel now I mostly have the technical foundation down for this piece, so when I record it again I can get more into the feel of it. Its definatly still gonna take alot of time before I get this piece as I envisioned it. Clean guitar tone as you recomended may be a good idea. Blues version though is definetly not a good idea

But one thing: Yes agree there are lots of covers of this, but in my opinion all these covers are way to slow. If you know a guitar version of this at a similar speed than mine (which is 166bpm) I would like to see that (apart from this one awesome russian guy - but he plays some parts slower and then others fast again).
Paganini for me has to be super fast.
Last edited by mrfastfinger at May 25, 2015,
Quote by mrfastfinger
Thats the kind of constructive criticism I appreciate.

Im kinda happy with this recording because I feel now I mostly have the technical foundation down for this piece, so when I record it again I can get more into the feel of it. Its definatly still gonna take alot of time before I get this piece as I envisioned it. Clean guitar tone as you recomended may be a good idea. Blues version though is definetly not a good idea

But one thing: Yes agree there are lots of covers of this, but in my opinion all these covers are way to slow. If you know a guitar version of this at a similar speed than mine (which is 166bpm) I would like to see that (apart from this one awesome russian guy - but he plays some parts slower and then others fast again).
Paganini for me has to be super fast.

Well, paganini is super fast And yeah, I can't recall a cover as fast. Can't say that I like it, but if it's your intention the cover was spot on.
Quote by rickyvanh
Bravo Dude. You played that piece beautifully.

Thats a really nice thing to say in the harsh internet world. Thanks alot.
But I personally think 'beautifully' is a little bit exaggerated BUT I will try to get it to be more 'beautifully' in the future now that I think I can play this piece more relaxed next time, so I basically have the technical foundation down.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Well, paganini is super fast And yeah, I can't recall a cover as fast. Can't say that I like it, but if it's your intention the cover was spot on.

You said something about Yngwie playing this piece way back (middleages). My version is based on an Yngwie transcription but I have never seen a video of him playing this (and not at this speed), so Im pretty sure that doesnt exist. If Im wrong please correct me and send me a link or sth.
Quote by mrfastfinger
You said something about Yngwie playing this piece way back (middleages). My version is based on an Yngwie transcription but I have never seen a video of him playing this (and not at this speed), so Im pretty sure that doesnt exist. If Im wrong please correct me and send me a link or sth.

Nah, I meant that yngwie has been playing metal covers of classical songs for his whole career. I recall him saying that it was paganini that git him into it. I don't know if he has covered this particular piece though, just meant that this style of playing has been around for decades.
dude you are obviously very gifted & must've worked very hard to get to the level where u r.Am also very happy that u've taken Kevätuhri's advice in the right spirit. Like Kevätuhri I too feel very odd.. i won't even call it critiquing cuz its not. I seen all ur vids & u have insane skills.