Hi everyone, I've been playing guitar for the greater part of my life 15 years, played mostly classical guitar, metal and rock and some jazz. But I've never played in a full on thrash band until now. My new found problems are the main thrash beats, municipal waste/toxic holocaust, etc.

C- x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
S- -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o|
B- o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-|

Like so...

My main issue is the snare being so loud I tend to hear it as my down beat. Has anyone here have this problem and gotten over it?

Are there any tricks I'm missing? I can get away with it by (cheating), playing everything half a beat of, but I'm not getting groove yet. :/

Thank for any feedback.
F
Quote by Franggus
Hi everyone, I've been playing guitar for the greater part of my life 15 years, played mostly classical guitar, metal and rock and some jazz. But I've never played in a full on thrash band until now. My new found problems are the main thrash beats, municipal waste/toxic holocaust, etc.

C- x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
S- -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o|
B- o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-|

Like so...

My main issue is the snare being so loud I tend to hear it as my down beat. Has anyone here have this problem and gotten over it?

Are there any tricks I'm missing? I can get away with it by (cheating), playing everything half a beat of, but I'm not getting groove yet. :/

Thank for any feedback.
F

Self Discipline, to play it slowly, accenting the down beats, identifying any syncopated events, slowly at first. Sing the rhythm. I always tell our students, "If you cant count it or sing it out loud right, you'll never play it right". By slowing the parts down until the beats become natural at a speed that is according to your terms, not the song's you'll quickly be able to "know" the song more, so that when you do speed it up, it's not lost.

Do you know how to count rhythms, subdivided in 8ths, 16ths etc?

Best,

Sean
I've experienced that phenomenon before - hearing the snare as the downbeat in a fast thrash beat.

I resolved it by listening to lots of thrash drumming and consciously feeling for the groove. Once you learn the feel of the beat, you'll stop hearing the snare as the downbeat.

Try slowing it down by counting a beat on every other bass drum hit, so there's 2 offbeat snare strikes in each beat. This might make the groove more understandable. The drummer is just creating rhythmic tension by playing in double- or quadruple-time.
Yep, I have the same problem. If the bass drum is loud enough or when the hits on the hi hat or ride cymbal are on the first and third count, it's usually easier to hear. Just play it slower and try to stay in the groove while slowly increasing the speed back to the base tempo.
Quote by muffinduck01
Yeah......

Nothing wakes you up faster then that feeling of warm shit where it shouldn't be.

Quote by T7E
Bumpety

My GF just rammed my butt hole for like 10 minutes with a lubed up drumstick