Hey guys, I've been intrigued by Jazzmasters for a while now, and they seem to have a pretty good niche (when concerning mainstream guitars).
I'd like to use it and really show off its uniqueness in the music I play and write right now, which are mainly post rock and popular song covers.
I feel like it would be a really interesting guitar to have in the stable, and use it as more of a secondary use instrument.

I'd like to spend under $1000 for it. I am located in Manitoba, Canada. I would rather buy used, but could buy new.

How are the necks on Jazzmasters? I own a PRS CE, and a Tele, and the neck on the Jazzmaster seems much beefier or rounder I guess, than either of them. Are there any slimmer necked JMs, or is that just how they are?

Also, I've heard quite often that now, more often than not, you should upgrade the bridge and saddles(?) to Mastery. How much of a difference does this really make? And how much would it be to buy, and how much of a pain would it be to install?

Thanks for your time guys. I appreciate it.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at May 26, 2015,
Necks vary depending upon year of manufacture and if it is MIA - MIM - or MIJ. As for the trem bridge on them, they can be finicky if you don't take the time to figure out their quirks. Would you make use of the trem? You can find hardtail versions if you want to by-pass that aspect of the instrument altogether.

Jazzmasters do not come with P90's as those are a Gibson pickup, they have Jazzmaster pickups - which are different. Of course you can buy P90 style pickups that will fit in the jazzmaster, same if you get a humbucker model.

What exactly are you looking for in a Jazzmaster and we can go from there. You could also order a warmoth (or through a similar company) and customize it to your specs.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
My apologies, my signature really came into play on that one.

I guess I'm just looking for a standard Jazzmaster then, with the Jazzmaster pickups. It also doesn't necessarily have to be a Fender, but I'd like the body to be the same. The switches and everything would be nice to have. Honestly, it would probably be part GAS instrument, and part writing/recording instrument.

I think that I would like to keep the tremolo. The bar is removable, correct? So if I didn't necessarily need the trem, I could remove the bar.

I'm looking for something that is a little bit more "loose" and "raw" than my PRS. My PRS is great for articulate tones and most metal, especially with my Mark V, but I'm looking for something different.

I'd mainly be using it for post rock type stuff. Fuzz, reverb, delay, and other effects galore. I also feel like it would see much more time in the studio than on the stage.

Playability wise, I haven't touched one in a year or more, but I really like the look of them. I think its a unique guitar, and have been GASing for one for a while.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Hey guys, I've been intrigued by Jazzmasters for a while now, and they seem to have a pretty good niche (when concerning mainstream guitars).
I'd like to use it and really show off its uniqueness in the music I play and write right now, which are mainly post rock and popular song covers.
I feel like it would be a really interesting guitar to have in the stable, and use it as more of a secondary use instrument.

I'd like to spend under $1000 for it. I am located in Manitoba, Canada. I would rather buy used, but could buy new.

How are the becks on Jazzmasters? I own a PRS CE, and a Tele, and the neck on the Jazzmaster seems much beefier or rounder I guess, than either of them. Are there any slimmer necked JMs, or is that just how they are?

Also, I've heard quite often that now, more often than not, you should upgrade the bridge and saddles(?) to Mastery. How much of a difference does this really make? And how much would it be to buy, and how much of a pain would it be to install?

Thanks for your time guys. I appreciate it.

You're correct, the newer MIA Fender JM neck is slightly thicker than the original/vintage version. If you like it slightly thinner, check out the Squier (MIC). The 2 MIJ versions I have are a bit closer to the original. If you need it really close to vintage, check out Musikraft's Thin C replacement neck.
Over the years, Reverend has made quite a few offset guitars with P90s- hardtail or with Wilkinson, Bigsby or in-house trems- that are well made and sound great. Some are 25.5" scale, some 24.75". So you could get the aesthetic and the overall tone, but they DO lack the switches. Interested?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 26, 2015,
Danny, I did take a quick look at some of the Reverend guitars, like the Warhawk, but they seemed to angular to me. But thats just my opinion.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
'S'all good. If everyone like the same guitar, we'd all be playing Strats.

If you haven't already, you might check out this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1664800

Lots of info on offset guitars, don'tcha know.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 26, 2015,