like the title says. I need ideas for an amp. I've had 2 tubers die on me now, and frankly I'm kind of sick of them. I have a 1969 univox model 1221 I'm hoping I can trade for a super decent SS amp. and before you all start screaming "JC120" I want you to know that yes. I know that JC120s exist. they're great. I want one. a little out of my budget. now, for the stuff you actually care about:

budget: univox amp + cab ($200-$400 trade value)
desired config: 2x12 high wattage
genres of choice: indie. jazz. just cleans. clean clean clean. clean. jazz cleans. post rock cleans. pop cleans. clean.
amps I'm considering: JC120, Fender M80.

why no tubes? they're unreliable, I'm too poor to keep fixing them all. I'm just hoping to get rid of this one before it breaks on me too. they tend to be less clean. I don't want an SS that "sounds like" a tuber. it should sound good in it's own respect.

stay away from: line 6, crate, anything digital, non 2x12s, stacks (heads are ok), unattainable vintage rarities. thanks for your time.
acid eater, gear is at my instagram ( itakenickpics). mesas, strats, vintage jap guits.

play good shit on shitty gear, not shitty shit on good gear

check out jazz, acid, and post rock stuff soundcloud.com/s-w-y-c-h & swych.bandcamp.com
Good luck with that. You should always get what you want but your reasons are silly.

And both Crate and L6 make some decent SS amps, so not sure what your bias there is.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Will Lane
You might like the Roland Blues Cube.

+1 they aren't bad. i don't know if it is best for "just cleans. clean clean clean. clean. jazz cleans. post rock cleans. pop cleans. clean."

ampeg? i don't remember which models though. for what its worth i have a 70 watt ampeg that has really sweet cleans and sounds great, but it does a have a preamp tube. i am not sure if one tube is a deal breaker. loud as hell and clean as a bell.

i don't think there are a lot of options, especially that you don't want it to emulate tube amps. that is what 90% of SS amps are in production (number is random guess).

good luck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Arby911
Good luck with that. You should always get what you want but your reasons are silly.

And both Crate and L6 make some decent SS amps, so not sure what your bias there is.

IIRC some ampeg's have the same circuitry as crates too. (vh140c comes to mind, can't remember name though).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
IIRC some ampeg's have the same circuitry as crates too. (vh140c comes to mind, can't remember name though).

Yep, the Crate GX130 is similar, and the GT3500 is a monster version of it.

OP should of course look at any of the several Peaveys as well.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Yep, the Crate GX130 is similar, and the GT3500 is a monster version of it.

OP should of course look at any of the several Peaveys as well.

i had a transtube supreme (i just mentioned it in another thread lol) in IIRC 2002, and it was a pretty nice SS amp.

BUT... OP doesn't want it to emulate the tone of a tube amp.

JC120 i think it is it for the OP.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The old Yamaha G100-212's are pretty good. I gigged with one for many years.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
first and foremost I'd like to apologize for the tone of my post. I wasn't exactly in the best state of mind.

the blues cube sounds good and I've heard a lot of great things about them, but how loud are they?

I've had more than one crate amp die on me, so that's my bias there. L6 has always sounded like toys to me. I basically don't have the money to be working my amps as hard as I am for about 3 months and then having to replace them. I'm a decent penny in debt from college so I will probably own another tube amp afterwards (or maybe even during, I'm very fickle), but right now I'm looking at solid state. I've always been a fan of Peavey stuff, except the last one I had sounded way dark and inarticulate. there were no subtleties in my playing at all.

believe it or not, I played a 90s B100 II at my last gig though a 4x10 cabinet with 2 ripped speakers and I got compliments on my tone from other guitarists. so I probably will look at that yamaha. thanks again everyone.
acid eater, gear is at my instagram ( itakenickpics). mesas, strats, vintage jap guits.

check out jazz, acid, and post rock stuff soundcloud.com/s-w-y-c-h & swych.bandcamp.com
The Peavey Bandit I would recommend as I have one. It's reliable and sounds good.
Also the Peavey Special Chorus 212 if you can find one. Seems like they only made it for one year a few years back.
H&K Attax gets good reviews too.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
An old Fender Princeton Chorus? I had a lot of luck with one of those.

Have you considered it may be you and not the amps (no offense), like are you transporting them via road bike over a mountain trail or something less exaggerated but equally damning? If the same happens with a ss, it may not be as practical to fix. Isn't the Univox an almost 50 year old, budget amp? Were the previous amps the same?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
my first amp that died was a crate v50, power supply failure, not possibly my fault. never gigged. hate crate. second amp was a Peavey Classic 50, I had a road case for it, took it on many gigs. reversed the IC by accident trying to fix reverb, killed the preamp. no tech wants to fix it. that's my bad. never had a Solid State give me a problem though

So you've actually only had one amp fail you? And a cheap solid state amp is the solution? To each his own I guess.

Have you tried the Acoustic brand amps? I'm not sure bout cleans, I tried it with mid gain, but I was somewhat impressed with 'em and they're dirt cheap. I'd bet the old Fender Princeton Chorus would work really well for you. They're no longer made but I see 'em around all the time. I'm not familiar with the Frontman but it seems the Princeton Chorus was much more highly regarded.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
So you've actually only had one amp fail you? And a cheap solid state amp is the solution? To each his own I guess.

Have you tried the Acoustic brand amps? I'm not sure bout cleans, I tried it with mid gain, but I was somewhat impressed with 'em and they're dirt cheap. I'd bet the old Fender Princeton Chorus would work really well for you. They're no longer made but I see 'em around all the time. I'm not familiar with the Frontman but it seems the Princeton Chorus was much more highly regarded.

that is a little extreme IMO. OP had one fail , then fried another. i wouldn't consider that a damnation to tube amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Any of the Roland JC amps would be a great choice. While they're rare, you might be able to come across a JC-120H and keep the cab! You can find JC-120's for under $500 used. They're really heavy, hence why I would opt for the cab or maybe a smaller one like the JC-77.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
You're maybe 15 years too late as they all slap on digital effects on their new amps and real honest ss amp is getting harder to find.
I have Fender Princeton 112 that is 15 year old and is great. There's also Princeton chorus off the same batch. Loud 60 waters which are quite reliable.
Tech21 have a 60 water that is still what I'd consider clean solid state TM60:
http://tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark60.html

I think maybe Carvin still make something new or Taurus amps out of Poland:
http://www.taurus-amp.pl/guitar.html
Fender Frontman 212.
The Princeton Chorus is cooler but less powerful and it has 2x10s.
I would unquestionably buy the princeton chorus if it was for me.
The Peavey Chorus looks cool. No experience with it.
Check this:
http://carvinamplifiers.com/collections/sx-series/products/sx300-3-channel-100-watt-combo-amp-with-tube-emulation-and-digital-effects

The old ones were great but you can disable the digital fx on these if they're garbage.
Quote by Cathbard
The old Yamaha G100-212's are pretty good. I gigged with one for many years.

^This. These were surprisingly good in both of their incarnations. Beyond that, you might take a look at Carvin's SX-300:

http://www.carvinamplifiers.com/products/sx300-3-channel-100-watt-combo-amp-with-tube-emulation-and-digital-effects

I tried one a few years ago and thought it was noisy, but they may be much improved by now.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Peavey Stereo Chorus, Fender Ultra Chorus, Roland JC-77
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."