Hey guys! I play in a pop punk band Letterswv.bandcamp.com . Lately I've been very unhappy with my tone. My signal chain is as follows. Agile al3010 w super distortion -> polytune, soul food, zoom g3, vox delay lab -> ac30 ->avatar 2x12 w v30 and g1275t

Okay my clean tone sounds amazing. I am using the soul food for drive and sometimes an orange or model on the zoom. But heres the thing. It's hard not to get ridiculous feedback. I can't get the chunk and sustain I want with my gain set low, but when I turn up the gain I get a really thin nasally feeding back tone. I want a gain tone A La the new four year strong stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esCjADNzOy8
Very tight, concise mids and lows. Are there any pedals that will help me do this? any tweaking with what I have that can help? Maybe a different drive pedal? An eq? I really want a larger than life thump out of my chugging but I want the clarity I have with the ac30. Very conflicted here. any help would be appreciated.
Stop using the G3's models and distortion. Also, put the unit the effects loop and use it just for modulations and time based effects. Do the same for your other delay, fx loop.

Set the AC to a crisp crunch. Use some preamp gain and limit it to a good volume with the master control. Boost the low end on the amp. Use the Soul Food to push the amp to desired saturation. The G3 has some nice EQ on it, the parametric EQ could work wonders as well with boosting mids.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 26, 2015,
this is random, may be a terrible idea.

but maybe a rat? i haven't ever tried one on an AC30 though. push the amp into edge of breakup and use the rat a little bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
this is random, may be a terrible idea.

but maybe a rat? i haven't ever tried one on an AC30 though. push the amp into edge of breakup and use the rat a little bit.

This. AC30's love Rat pedals.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
As has been mentioned, Id ditch the G3 if I were you. They're kickass gadgets but they'll mangle good tone. Also, put delay in the loop. Also, I love the Soul Food but I dont think it makes for a very effective stand alone od. I love the sound of the Boss Blues Driver with an AC15, maybe try out one of those, it has a lot more (usable) gain the SF.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
As has been mentioned, Id ditch the G3 if I were you. They're kickass gadgets but they'll mangle good tone. Also, put delay in the loop. Also, I love the Soul Food but I dont think it makes for a very effective stand alone od. I love the sound of the Boss Blues Driver with an AC15, maybe try out one of those, it has a lot more (usable) gain the SF.
If he's boosting the AC with the Soul Food, that would go over a lot better than making the SF do all the work. If boosting isn't possible, you might also want to check out the Suhr Riot, good for clean amp to saturation.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 26, 2015,
+1 To the rat suggestions. My ac30 absolutely loves mine.

That being said, for that low end thump, you might want to get a closed back cab to use as an extension for you combo. Maybe something like an avatar 212?
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by ThunderPunk
This. AC30's love Rat pedals.

good to know i will have to try an AC30 with one.

about the only common voice of amps i have isn't a vox
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Those guys were using Orange RV100's and Mesa Recto's at one point

The open back of the AC30 isn't going to help you out at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ yeah. a rat or something like that is absolutely worth a try, it'll get you closer (and you may even end up preferring it to the tone in the video), but i'm not sure it's the ideal amp for the tone in that video.

EDIT: also try using a tubescreamer or sd1-style overdrive pedal into the distortion pedal as well, to boost it. that will help with saturation and tightness.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
good to know i will have to try an AC30 with one.

about the only common voice of amps i have isn't a vox

I know that Teppei from Thrice was using one for a while with his AC30. Not pop punk, but give an idea of how well those fit together and what kind of aggressive tones you can get with it.

Rat's really are pretty awesome all around. I've run them through Marshall, Fender, and Vox circuits - and always loved the final product. In fact, it is one of the few pedals that I regret selling. Even though I don't really use pedals, it is one that I would like to own again. The other regret was my old tone-lok Ibanez Tubescreamer. I know, not fancy, but I liked it.

Robbgnarly does make a pretty good point. A lot of pop punk bands use Mesa Recto's, usually with another guitarist using a Marshall amp like the JCM 800.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
I know that Teppei from Thrice was using one for a while with his AC30. Not pop punk, but give an idea of how well those fit together and what kind of aggressive tones you can get with it.

If I'm not mistaken, Teppei and Dustin started using AC30's around the time they recorded The Alchemy Index, but don't quote me on that. Teppei might have used a AC30 before that, but at that time he used it together with a JCM800.

But back to the OP: AC30's can get pretty gnarly, but have more of a loose low-end, instead of the more tight bass that you seem to be looking for.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
It sounds crazy, and I might catch some flack for the suggestion, but the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde can get some fairly tight rock distortion. They actually sound pretty good into a clean or edge of breakup Vox and there is enough control over the mids and bass that you can dial in a sweet spot (not too honky, not too boomy). I might actually be part of the moral minority concerning Rats, but they always felt overly compressed and fuzzy past being used as moderately crunchy overdrive. I always had to stack a tubescreamer type pedal into mine to get what I wanted.

Believe it or not, an AC30 with the TB channel ran fairly hot and an overdrive pushing it can get pretty nasty in that pretty (clear) AC30 sort of way. You'll need a closed back cab to get that solid thump, but the AC30 is actually very gainy with a bit of a push up front. The SF should do great at pushing the front of the amp.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at May 28, 2015,
Quote by sg4ever
It sounds crazy, and I might catch some flack for the suggestion, but the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde can get some fairly tight rock distortion. They actually sound pretty good into a clean or edge of breakup Vox and there is enough control over the mids and bass that you can dial in a sweet spot (not too honky, not too boomy). I might actually be part of the moral minority concerning Rats, but they always felt overly compressed and fuzzy past being used as moderately crunchy overdrive. I always had to stack a tubescreamer type pedal into mine to get what I wanted.

Believe it or not, an AC30 with the TB channel ran fairly hot and an overdrive pushing it can get pretty nasty in that pretty (clear) AC30 sort of way. You'll need a closed back cab to get that solid thump, but the AC30 is actually very gainy with a bit of a push up front. The SF should do great at pushing the front of the amp.

Actually you're pretty much on the ball there. I found the Rat to be a fuzzy mess as well but dialed in just a touch it could add something interesting. I think the Jekky & Hyde will do a lot better though so +1
^I also agree with the jekyll and hyde. It's pretty damn nice. I borrowed one for a show with my pop-punk/rock cover band, as part of a makeshift pedalboard, since I usually get almost all of my tones from my modeling amp, but this show was a special marathon kind of thing, with tons of bands, so everybody was using backline equipment. I ended up really liking it, and might get one. The OD setting by itself left a little to be desired, but the distortion was nice, and both of them together kicked ass.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
The J&H is a sturdy, flexible and affordable little dual OD/Dist- worthy of consideration.

The V2 is out of production, and can be found for under $100.

The V3 version is being put out by TrueTone, the renamed Visual Sound.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 29, 2015,
i liked the fulltone gt-500 better than the J&H, at least last time i tried it i did.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!