Well, this is what happens.

http://newsexaminer.net/food/mcdonalds-to-open-restaurant-run-by-robots/

The Great ****ing Recession continues......
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
This reads like a poorly written parody article (more sources needed), but if it's not then I'm actually surprised. I did not expect the $15 wage lashback to hit so soon.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
This reads like a poorly written parody article

Seriously.
Check out my band Disturbed
I can't recall anyone ever making an error at mcdonalds and sometimes they give me extra food but robots won't give me extra food
cat
Quote by Xiaoxi
This reads like a poorly written parody article (more sources needed), but if it's not then I'm actually surprised. I did not expect the $15 wage lashback to hit so soon.

I got little confused while reading the article tho.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
Employees will get paid more when they have to have degrees in engineering to work at McDs
1. Dont go in self-checkout lines at grocery stores
2. Dont buy McDonalds

Boom, problem solved @ your best capacity
Quote by Xiaoxi
This reads like a poorly written parody article.

I've never agreed with Xiaoxi more.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Ichikurosaki
this is a step in the right direction ideally man shoudl not have to work except scientists and robot enginieers TBH
My thoughts worded in the first comment. <3

It wouldn't change much, even if it is successful, but it would be the first (national) company to take that step, so it would be a start.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
The recession ended years ago and I don't see any other articles about this so I'm assuming fake and gay.

But if it was true that'd be cool, I'd go to that McDonald's.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
NewsExaminer.net
NewsExaminer
New Sex A Miner
New Sex A Minor
Sex A Minor
Eastwinn
Victory2314

Also, this website seems shady. It's (1) a .net, (2) a movie review is titled "‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Is Beyond Good", and (3) this was published on the website). It's not even been a minute and I can't take this website seriously.

Anyway, I, for one, don't welcome our robot overlords. Even if the pay is shit, it's still putting people out of work (cue a conservative adding that this is an opportunity for them to "better their lives" or some shit).

I'm a fast food worker and even I'd rather have robots take my money, I take my own order, and the machines make my food. I don't care for customer service, and this would mean people aren't taking shortcuts,messing up my food order, or using food that should've been in the waste bin because it's past time that it's meant to be held for serving. But my experience suggests part of the reason people are regular customers is because of the customer service, so I don't see this job becoming automated as a regular thing any time soon.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at May 26, 2015,
Lets pretend this is serious I doubt franchise owners, especially new ones, would be excited to pay for their shiny fast food robots instead of just hiring minimum wage joe

And I doubt mcdonald's would be supplying everybody with them free of charge so I doubt you'd hardly ever see them anywhere
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Lets pretend this is serious I doubt franchise owners, especially new ones, would be excited to pay for their shiny fast food robots instead of just hiring minimum wage joe

And I doubt mcdonald's would be supplying everybody with them free of charge so I doubt you'd hardly ever see them anywhere

Employees make mistakes, waste food, ask to be paid by the hour, ask for benefits, steal food, and days off.

To put it into perspective, think about the drive-thru speed of service times. It's estimated at my store that each second is worth $10,000 a year. If robots really are faster, then I'd imagine it'd bring loads of extra profit, granted people don't stop going to fast food restaurants because of the lack of humans working there.

My opinion is practically worthless, though. This is based solely on my experience selling burgers and chicken and I pretty much hate anything to do with finance or business.

There's a human element to the job other than customer service and sometimes. I don't know if robots would be better at it. It's estimating how much product to make (fries, nuggets, meat patties, chicken, salads, the like). Our systems make predictions based on the past week sales and the same week the year before, and so on. It's not always right, and it might slow down the process. Additionally, people are prone to making mistakes, and it may be better/faster for experienced people such as I (seriously, how am I?) to take orders and working the machine rather than people doing it for themselves.
Free Ali
I didn't even read that paragraph but it sounded like you were trying to make it seem like it was plausible but robots are really really really expensive and paying people that know how to program and maintain those robots is a lot more expensive than a minimum wage work

Just the more skilled workers would probably eat any increase in revenue they would see
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 26, 2015,
I skimmed the article and saw the word 'McRobots'. I've decided that I don't actually want to read the article anymore
Quote by Pastafarian96
Yep, because McDonalds really needs a higher profit margin

they will have the higher profit in the near term but as their competitors follow suit and redress the organic composition of capital themselves the entire industry will suffer from a decline in profit

...the more you know!
Hey, I live in AZ. I'll go there and tell you all how it is.
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
Quote by chrismendiola
Employees make mistakes, waste food, ask to be paid by the hour, ask for benefits, steal food, and days off.

You have no idea the buckets and buckets of food we threw away at mcdonalds, just because it sat out for 10 minutes. Robots can't predict what people will order 5 minutes in the future, wasting hundreds of pounds of food is a part of fast food.

That said as a former mcdonalds employee, I've never had an easier job, and there probably isn't many jobs easier than working at mcdonalds.

I made 7.25 usd an hour there...
Last edited by stratkat at May 26, 2015,
Quote by stratkat
You have no idea the buckets and buckets of food we threw away at mcdonalds, just because it sat out for 10 minutes. Robots can't predict what people will order 5 minutes in the future, wasting hundreds of pounds of food is a part of fast food.

That said as a former mcdonalds employee, I've never had an easier job, and there probably isn't many jobs easier than working at mcdonalds.

During the brief time I was laid off, I worked at a place that did hand bindery. Without a doubt in my mind was it it the easiest job ever.

The roles would change from time to time, but I literally sat down and took books (SAT Prep Tests, to be specific) coming off a machine and hand them to someone else for 8 hours.

Other roles included stuffing envelopes, folding papers, and inserting papers into folders. And it payed exactly the same. $7.25 an hour. I think it would be a good job for people who retired but want to keep working, though almost everyone was my age or just a bit older.

Security guard is pretty easy too, I imagine.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at May 26, 2015,
NewSexwhat?

I'm intrigued by this 'new sex' thing, but I don't think I should click that...
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by chrismendiola
NewsExaminer.net
NewsExaminer
New Sex A Miner
New Sex A Minor
Sex A Minor
Eastwinn

i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I didn't even read that paragraph but it sounded like you were trying to make it seem like it was plausible but robots are really really really expensive and paying people that know how to program and maintain those robots is a lot more expensive than a minimum wage work

Just the more skilled workers would probably eat any increase in revenue they would see

You could be right, but I would guess that it may pay off in the long run.

Just one general manager makes about $80k where I work. In a store full of machines, you probably wouldn't need a general manager. Assistant managers and positions above that aren't general manager starts at about $40k. So let's say the median income for these managers is $50k. My store has three managers who aren't the general manager. That's $230k you've saved (note: This doesn't take bonuses into account).

I make $15k, and I think we have 40+ employees. That's another $300k a year paying 40 employees $15k.

So that's (very) roughly $530k/yr. spent paying employees alone. In five years, that's more than $2.5 million.

Ideally, the robots would cut down on food costs because there are much fewer mistakes being made. They're also much faster, so the drive-thru alone should reap loads of profit. If they're 10 seconds on average faster than a human-operated drive-thru- remember I said each second is worth $10,000/year, that's $500,000 more profit made in five years.

So now we've got an extra $3 million in five years because we've fired all of our employees, not counting raises and benefits, and not accounting for food costs from waste made by human error (which are massive, but I don't remember those figures offhand. They've never had me do the paperwork for waste. I can ask, though). That's about what my store makes each year. Now these are very, very rough estimates based on a paradigm where the store operates entirely by machinery and that customers don't stop coming to my Wendy's, so this exercise could have been entirely useless. I've got no idea how much it takes to run a store that operates by machines. But I doubt it's as far from realistic you think it is. We make about $3 million/yr. collectively as a store (granted, we are one of the most profitable ones in our company of 15+ Wendy's), so that's a 20% increase in profit based on this very rough estimate.
Quote by stratkat

I think I have an idea, unless Wendy's is drastically different with its waste procedures.

I'm pretty sure I addressed the prediction issue, anyway, and that humans might actually be better at it. Did your store not have a system that predicted how much product would likely be used?
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
You could be right, but I would guess that it may pay off in the long run.

Just one general manager makes about $80k where I work. In a store full of machines, you probably wouldn't need a general manager. Assistant managers and positions above that aren't general manager starts at about $40k. So let's say the median income for these managers is $50k. My store has three managers who aren't the general manager. That's $230k you've saved (note: This doesn't take bonuses into account).

I make $15k, and I think we have 40+ employees. That's another $300k a year paying 40 employees $15k.

So that's (very) roughly $530k/yr. spent paying employees alone. In five years, that's more than $2.5 million.

Ideally, the robots would cut down on food costs because there are much fewer mistakes being made. They're also much faster, so the drive-thru alone should reap loads of profit. If they're 10 seconds on average faster than a human-operated drive-thru- remember I said each second is worth $10,000/year, that's $500,000 more profit made in five years.

So now we've got an extra $3 million in five years because we've fired all of our employees, not counting raises and benefits, and not accounting for food costs from waste made by human error (which are massive, but I don't remember those figures offhand. They've never had me do the paperwork for waste. I can ask, though). That's about what my store makes each year. Now these are very, very rough estimates based on a paradigm where the store operates entirely by machinery and that customers don't stop coming to my Wendy's, so this exercise could have been entirely useless. I've got no idea how much it takes to run a store that operates by machines. But I doubt it's as far from realistic you think it is. We make about $3 million/yr. collectively as a store (granted, we are one of the most profitable ones in our company of 15+ Wendy's), so that's a 20% increase in profit based on this very rough estimate.

I think I have an idea, unless Wendy's is drastically different with its waste procedures.

I'm pretty sure I addressed the prediction issue, anyway, and that humans might actually be better at it. Did your store not have a system that predicted how much product would likely be used?

We didn't, then again it was nearly a decade ago. If there was a system that predicted it I was never told about it.
Quote by Dreadnought
battle of the fast food nerds

This one time in 1987, ErikLensherr yelled at me at a McDonald's. I almost bopped him in the yiffing nose.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
This one time in 1987, ErikLensherr yelled at me at a McDonald's. I almost bopped him in the yiffing nose.

My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by guitarxo
I can't recall anyone ever making an error at mcdonalds and sometimes they give me extra food but robots won't give me extra food

If this starts at burger king say goodbye to getting an onion ring in your fries

It's all part of the plan
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Having a minimum wage that you have to supplement with welfare to survive is stupid. Why shouldn't McDonald's workers earn more? It is not skilled work but it's still hard work.
Jesus Christ you guys the entire article is nothing but Office Space quotes. They even use the names of Office Space characters!

Recalibrate your satire detectors already.