Guys. Is it worth of buying? I' m planning to buy some good amp. For thrash, heavy, sometimes some bluesy rock like Sabbath or Zeppelin... And it should keep up with drums.
I want to have advantages of tube and ss amp.
Thank you.
Uh, what's your budget? Your location? Are you willing to buy new or used? Can it be a combo?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Oh sorry. I forgot details. It can be used of course. I want to pay 300 euro at max. I' m from Slovakia. Yes it can be combo.
Quote by jozef2451
Oh sorry. I forgot details. It can be used of course. I want to pay 300 euro at max. I' m from Slovakia. Yes it can be combo.

Hmm. I'm not too familiar with what is available over in Slovakia so I'll wait for the European users to chime in.

FWIW, the VS100 isn't a terrible amplifier but IMO 300 euro might be a bit too much for it. Is it a combo or a head (and if it's a head does it come with a cabinet?)? Do you know of any local stores and what products they carry etc...
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Our market isn' much diffrent from yours... I'm just searching for good combo. That can keep up with drums. I need only advices from experienced guitarist.
Prices are pretty different and something considered a good deal in North America wouldn't be considered a good deal over there so you're wrong about that.

A 'good combo that can keep up with drums' can be anything. Do you need multiple channels? Do you need on board effects or an FX loop? Are you going to be using the amp for most of your tones or will you be using pedals to shape your sound? Are you using clean tones a lot? Do you need extra headroom etc...

Quote by jozef2451
I need only advices from experienced guitarist.

hope you aren't implying that I am not experienced because you'd be wrong.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at May 26, 2015,
For me it's Kustom HV100T. Or Peavy Vypyr 100w. On our used markets are both under 300. New Kustom cost something around 450 euros... And Peavy Vypyr isn't available anymore. Only used.
Quote by jozef2451
For me it's Kustom HV100T. Or Peavy Vypyr 100w. On our used markets are both under 300. New Kustom cost something around 450 euros... And Peavy Vypyr isn't available anymore. Only used.

I'd rather the Vypyr over the Kustom. Vypyrs are pretty solid amps and the modelling on them is pretty decent. The SS ones aren't quite as nice as the tube ones sound wise but they'll smoke a Kustom for sure.

Don't get so hung up on hybrid amps too. You might think they offer 'the best from both worlds' in the sense that they have SS and tube components but they really don't. They can sound good for sure but it's not because it has a preamp tube etc...

300 euros won't get you much but if you can stretch your budget a bit, you could grab quite a few different amps that would work for what you want. Things like Jet City amps and even the small Orange amps can be had for a little more bread.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
From what I can see, it looks like Thomann (a pretty big retailer) does deliver to Slovakia as well so that route is available to you.

If wattage matters and you can stretch your budget a bit, I think this would suit the kind of music you'd like and will be more than enough to deal with a loud drummer:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h_bundle_1.htm

Price includes VAT and I believe you get free shipping too but you'll have to check it out more.

If you can deal with a lower wattage, something like a JCA22H or an Orange Tiny Terror would be cool to have. You can probably find them relatively cheap used as well since they are quite popular amps.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Wow. That's kind of big business... I'll see what budget allows me to buy.
It is but personally I feel it will be worth the extra money. I mean you might like a cheaper amp in the mean time but you will most likely grow out of it pretty quickly and will have to replace it for a decent amp anyway. If you start off with something like that, you won't have to worry as much about upgrading amps since you have more than a decent one to start with.

There's also this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head_bundle.htm

It is smaller (it might not be loud enough with a drummer if you're planning on playing clean passages etc...) but a little more in your budget and not quite as pricey. You could also buy the head separately and maybe find a nice cabinet locally for cheaper that you can use.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I should have mentioned that I'm 16 years old playing acoustic for one year... I don't have income. I search for some small jobs. And e. guitar gonna cost 270 EUR. Jackson JS32 6 string.
That's okay, we've all been 16 once. All I'm saying is that if you save a bit more or prioritize your purchases properly, you can take your money further and have to spend less in the long run.

Like I would spend more on an amp then a guitar. At the end of the day, your amp is responsible for how your sound is shaped so if that part is lacking, your sound will always lack.

Like a 3k + Gibson will not sound good through a little tiny practice amp. On the flip side, the cheapest Epiphone will sound pretty great plugged into an all tube Marshall stack on 10.

There is a line though, you definitely want a guitar that feels nice to play or else you will not want to play but sound is very important too. If you don't like the sound you're producing, that can have just as much of an effect on you wanting to play or not.

IMO it's also easier to find cheaper guitars that play really nice compared to getting a nice sounding, reliable amp for cheap. So if you're gonna cut anything from your budget, cut a bit from the guitar fund.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
That' my opinion about guitar/combo , too. The evolution of my budget is pretty drastic (for my wallet ofc).
When I didn't know nothing about electric guitar amps, combos etc. I wanted to buy some guitar packet for 200 euro. The guy in our local shop told me that it isn't good idea...
Then some guitar from Cort for 200 and Line 6 Spider IV 15... Again, but now guys on UG told me to buy Peavy or something else... And I was thinking what I'm gonna do with gigging... 15W?
Now it' Jackson and combo is still missing...
Quote by jozef2451
That' my opinion about guitar/combo , too. The evolution of my budget is pretty drastic (for my wallet ofc).
When I didn't know nothing about electric guitar amps, combos etc. I wanted to buy some guitar packet for 200 euro. The guy in our local shop told me that it isn't good idea...
Then some guitar from Cort for 200 and Line 6 Spider IV 15... Again, but now guys on UG told me to buy Peavy or something else... And I was thinking what I'm gonna do with gigging... 15W?
Now it' Jackson and combo is still missing...

Yeah the Line 6 isn't really a great amp and most guitar bundles (as in guitar + amp + stand) are pretty terrible as well so it's understandable that people would tell you not to buy those.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I have an 80W valvestate. I can keep up with my drummer so a 100W should be sufficient
Quote by jozef2451
Guys. Is it worth of buying? I' m planning to buy some good amp. For thrash, heavy, sometimes some bluesy rock like Sabbath or Zeppelin... And it should keep up with drums.
I want to have advantages of tube and ss amp.
Thank you.

God no - Valvestates are terrible - they have nothing in common with the amp designs that made Marshall famous and that you hear on records. I speak from experience on this - it is nothing like a real tube amp. There is no advantage of having a hyrbid amp ( I've owned two - a Valvestate stack and a Tubeworks) - they are terrible gimmicks. The amp will definitely be loud enough, but it will suck in comparison to an all-tube amp.

Trust me on this - if you don't hear the difference now, you will when you develop better ears.

Don't think you can save your tone with pedals either - that's a fool's errand ( been there as well) - get a real good tube amp, best you can afford.
Last edited by reverb66 at May 27, 2015,
I should add that if you can't afford a real tube amp, than that amp will get you by and will be loud enough.
Quote by reverb66
I should add that if you can't afford a real tube amp, than that amp will get you by and will be loud enough.

I think that this is the takeaway. I see so many folks on this forum, who are on a shoestring budget, asking for opinions on affordable amps, and they don't really get any helpful information--just negativity. Of course the valve state series is inferior to expensive tube amps, but he doesn't have the scratch to spend on one of those. If I'm asking your opinion on a Honda Accord, it isn't very helpful to tell me how much it sucks, compared to a Ferrari.

To answer your question, I don't think you will really need 100w, just to keep up with a drummer. In all honesty, 40w-50w could definitely get you there. Given your budget, I would urge you to buy a combo, because, obviously, a cabinet will cost you additional money. Orange, Marshall, and Peavey (especially Peavey, in my opinion) make good amps in your price range, if you're buying used. Look around, try some out, and see what fits you.

I own an 8100 (Valvestate) and a JCM2000 (tube). I prefer the 2000, but side-by-side, the 8100 isn't half bad, especially considering that you can snag one for $100-$150 US. If you're looking for a cheap amp, and you definitely want the headroom that 100w provides, you could do a lot worse.