Hollow Body Sides: Mostly Laminated?

In general do most semi-hollow/hollow body guitars have laminated sides? Are there any good examples that have solid sides?

Would there ever be a semi-hollow/hollow body guitar that has a laminated top/back but has solid sides?

Thanks.
There have been examples of solid wood in the past, but those haven't worked so well. They simply feedback too much.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Most electrics have solid sides. Where acustic have a laminated peice bent around the shape of the body electrics are a solid block with pockets machined out and a top glued over.
Quote by bachfantasia
Hollow Body Sides: Mostly Laminated?

In general do most semi-hollow/hollow body guitars have laminated sides? Are there any good examples that have solid sides?

Would there ever be a semi-hollow/hollow body guitar that has a laminated top/back but has solid sides?

There are a lot of both.
If we're talking semi-hollows on the order of an ES-335 (or similar), there are guitars that are laminated tops and bottoms (formed via heat/steam) and there are guitars that are CNC carved from chunks of wood. Gibson has both versions in the shrunken-335 style (I've forgotten between the 336 and the 339 which is which). They've also got the flat top Midtown series, which LOOK Like a 335 in a photograph, and that have the same general body shape and paint job, but which have a back and sides that have been hollowed out from a single chunk of mahogany and a flat top that's been glued onto the back/sides. Carvin makes the SH series of guitars, for example, that have a CNC-carved mahogany back and a top carved out of a 2" chunk of figured maple.

If you're talking laminated vs. solid as in acoustic guitars -- generally speaking the tops are single thickness spruce/cedar, etc. with either solid or laminated wood sides and back. But that's not necessarily true when it comes to archtops, which can have a laminated top and solid sides/back.
Quote by dspellman
There are a lot of both.
If we're talking semi-hollows on the order of an ES-335 (or similar), there are guitars that are laminated tops and bottoms (formed via heat/steam) and there are guitars that are CNC carved from chunks of wood. Gibson has both versions in the shrunken-335 style (I've forgotten between the 336 and the 339 which is which). They've also got the flat top Midtown series, which LOOK Like a 335 in a photograph, and that have the same general body shape and paint job, but which have a back and sides that have been hollowed out from a single chunk of mahogany and a flat top that's been glued onto the back/sides. Carvin makes the SH series of guitars, for example, that have a CNC-carved mahogany back and a top carved out of a 2" chunk of figured maple.

If you're talking laminated vs. solid as in acoustic guitars -- generally speaking the tops are single thickness spruce/cedar, etc. with either solid or laminated wood sides and back. But that's not necessarily true when it comes to archtops, which can have a laminated top and solid sides/back.

Hmmmm... What about the backs? How often will you find Laminate tops and sides with a solid back? Like the M75 Aristocrat
^ Not very often I'd have thought. I wasn't even aware there were any until you linked to that Guild Good spot.

Pretty much what dspellman aid, there are a lot of both these days.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A laminate is (usually) stronger, so it makes for a sturdier/less prone to damage guitar. It is also a bit cheaper, in that the builder does not have to find one really nice piece of the appropriate wood if the guitar uses a laminated back/sides/top. But as others have said, there are plenty of both out there.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley