Thanks for the crit, you really should put a link in your posts if you want helped out as well lol.

Lovely bass tone and phrasing of the bass line. It's pretty groovy.

Drums punch through the mix well, Guitar contrasts well with the bass and makes for interesting tonality.
That chorus-y heavy part is pretty mental haha, proper diggin' it. That drum fill into the next section sounds a bit iffy doe.

The outro revisites an eariler section of the song, but clean. And it sounds gorgeous.

This piece of music flows well, and is produced well. I love the rough feeling and pure drive of the piece.

Excellent work lol.
Quote by Skint Out
Thanks for the crit, you really should put a link in your posts if you want helped out as well lol.

Lovely bass tone and phrasing of the bass line. It's pretty groovy.

Drums punch through the mix well, Guitar contrasts well with the bass and makes for interesting tonality.
That chorus-y heavy part is pretty mental haha, proper diggin' it. That drum fill into the next section sounds a bit iffy doe.

The outro revisites an eariler section of the song, but clean. And it sounds gorgeous.

This piece of music flows well, and is produced well. I love the rough feeling and pure drive of the piece.

Excellent work lol.

Thank you kind sir. The bass was recorded through a ZOOM B3 into a Lexicon Alpha, I used the Sansamp Bass Driver patch and Dyna comp for the regular tones and a Rat patch for the distorted tones.

Its nice to know that the drums sound good, I was really worried about them. Superior Drummer is not easy for me to operate.

Believe it or not but all the guitar parts were recorded on an amplified Ovation acoustic.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
Thank you kind sir. The bass was recorded through a ZOOM B3 into a Lexicon Alpha, I used the Sansamp Bass Driver patch and Dyna comp for the regular tones and a Rat patch for the distorted tones.

Its nice to know that the drums sound good, I was really worried about them. Superior Drummer is not easy for me to operate.

Believe it or not but all the guitar parts were recorded on an amplified Ovation acoustic.

Ah I see. What DAW do you use?

Yeah they sound dead on!

hahah really? To be fair that's probably why the guitar parts sound pretty unique in their tonality.
Quote by Skint Out
Ah I see. What DAW do you use?

Yeah they sound dead on!

hahah really? To be fair that's probably why the guitar parts sound pretty unique in their tonality.

Cubase 7 LE Elmo Basic Standard-That-Comes-With-Pieces-Of-Mediocre-Gear-To-Make-You-Pay-For-The-Full-Version. I used Guitar Rig 5 as the guitar and bass amp sim VST, and Kontakt 5 with the Factory Library for the keyboards.

Thank you, I had to try mixing it through various speakers....well, two headphone sets that sound completely differently and stupidly enough my TV's speakers.

Yeah, it does sound weird. Could add a bit of fuzz and get a killer Kyuss like guitar sound. You have to agree though that the clean sound at the beginning with the delay and the flanger sound awesome though.
I agree with skint on the bass tone, it's pretty great. I have to say that the genre isn't really my thing, but there are parts that I really like. At about the one minute mark there's that more mystical part which sounds cool. The track is a little bit boring in my opinion, I think it could be more dynamic but overall the composition is really nice. But I am a prog fan so I might be biased when it comes to dynamics and complexity Certainly not a bad track, even if it might no be my cup of tea.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I agree with skint on the bass tone, it's pretty great. I have to say that the genre isn't really my thing, but there are parts that I really like. At about the one minute mark there's that more mystical part which sounds cool. The track is a little bit boring in my opinion, I think it could be more dynamic but overall the composition is really nice. But I am a prog fan so I might be biased when it comes to dynamics and complexity Certainly not a bad track, even if it might no be my cup of tea.

I can understand that, my guitar player I think had the same opinion about the song. It's not the most headbanging of song. I was going for atmosphere at the beginning.

It's really nice that a person can appreciate a composition even though it's not in his taste, thank you.

Do you have a track you wish me to comment on?
Not really, I like to crit people here just because I think that it's fair and a nice thing to do. I have a track in my soundcloud though, it's pretty damn random and not really up for review, but if you want to hear it go ahead.

https://soundcloud.com/tk95/paahde
Quote by Kevätuhri
Not really, I like to crit people here just because I think that it's fair and a nice thing to do. I have a track in my soundcloud though, it's pretty damn random and not really up for review, but if you want to hear it go ahead.

https://soundcloud.com/tk95/paahde

Smooth as silk...excellent. Like elevator music for the enthusiastic man. The dynamics on the lead guitar are seriously tasteful and dont seem like arbitrary picking choices.

Personally I'd go with a warmer, dead-flatwound sound on the bass, But that's me.

Damn that song is so soothing. Even if the lead guitar sometimes seems a bit out of place. The ending is a bit abrupt.
Guitar0player,
Thank you for the kind review! Now your tune: Interesting intro: not sure if that is a distorted electric piano or ? Guitar towards the beginning reminds me of the Cure, which is one of my favorite groups. Nice intro bass. Not sure if the high distortion part is guitar or bass. Nice organ sound/riffs. Drums are good: on first listen, I thought you went overboard on a couple of the drum fills, but it sounded better on the second listen. Outro is quite nice. Cool song!
Quote by aaron aardvark
Guitar0player,
Thank you for the kind review! Now your tune: Interesting intro: not sure if that is a distorted electric piano or ? Guitar towards the beginning reminds me of the Cure, which is one of my favorite groups. Nice intro bass. Not sure if the high distortion part is guitar or bass. Nice organ sound/riffs. Drums are good: on first listen, I thought you went overboard on a couple of the drum fills, but it sounded better on the second listen. Outro is quite nice. Cool song!

Thank you very much! I was going with a fat Fender Rhodes(Not a Wurlitzer!) type of sound, I tried to make it a bit more human by randomizing the automations which resulted in a slightly saturated sound. I liked it.

The high distortion part is actually both distorted guitar and distorted bass, when you think about it the bass is always distorted cos I used the Sansamp Bass Driver patch on my ZOOM B3 for added grit.
Hi,
The instrumental is produced very well, so well done on that part.
It sounds very classic rock, but it pulls it off very well so well done there as well.

My main critique is that it seems like a backing track more than an instrumental. If you were planning for it to have vocals over the top or something, then fair enough, but it needs something to grab the attention, because it has some nice stuff going on but that stuff isnt interesting enough to support itself, it needs to support a melody. Either a vocal one or a guitar or synth one or whatever instrument you like.

Outro was cool
C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677368
Quote by TommyGunUk
Hi,
The instrumental is produced very well, so well done on that part.
It sounds very classic rock, but it pulls it off very well so well done there as well.

My main critique is that it seems like a backing track more than an instrumental. If you were planning for it to have vocals over the top or something, then fair enough, but it needs something to grab the attention, because it has some nice stuff going on but that stuff isnt interesting enough to support itself, it needs to support a melody. Either a vocal one or a guitar or synth one or whatever instrument you like.

Outro was cool
C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677368

Thank you.

It's odd that I am pretty sure that you're not the first person to tell me that. There was no intention to add any melody on top and let the track hold itself up by sheer atmosphere since I was going for a no frills instrumental song. More or less like you get in bands like Darediablo or Russian Circles, maybe even Focus. This type of instrumental rock music is by far not for everyone. I can see where you are coming from with this.
Sounds awesome are you playing all the instruments or do you have a band? All sounds very tight. You've got a great song but you know what it needs ... vocals, try yourself with some lyrics or find someone, it'd really take it up a level.

Thanks for a crit btw
Quote by SweetenerCorp
Sounds awesome are you playing all the instruments or do you have a band? All sounds very tight. You've got a great song but you know what it needs ... vocals, try yourself with some lyrics or find someone, it'd really take it up a level.

Thanks for a crit btw

No, the drums and keyboards are MIDI files I imported from Guitar Pro, I just use decent plugins that allow variation in the accentuation of notes. The guitar and bass are the only parts actually recorded.

Well, it is supposed to be a pure instrumental song, I preferred to keep it that way. Hell, I would record vocals, I am a half decent singer. I had a Samson C01u which I payed half for but the ****er who payed the other half wont talk to me about giving it back because of his girlfriend or something.

**** it I'll just buy a new one, how necessary is a pop filter?
Sweet jam you have here! The production is good, there is a lot of variety in this piece and it keeps the flow moving forward. If you want it to keep it instrumental, I suggest adding a synth or something that will stand out as a lead in front. Awesome stuff!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677839
Quote by miosanchez
Sweet jam you have here! The production is good, there is a lot of variety in this piece and it keeps the flow moving forward. If you want it to keep it instrumental, I suggest adding a synth or something that will stand out as a lead in front. Awesome stuff!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677839

Thank you! I was very worried about the mix actually. You are not the first to mention I should've have a synth in the lead. Problem is that that type of instrumental music is not really my thing. I more of a post metal type of guy(think Russian Circles).

But non the less thank you for feeling the flow, it is one of the most important things to me.
Hi !
Nice guys !
I like the bass in the introduction. The song is well composed I think, with enough changes to keep interesting for an instrumental.
The mix is also quiet good, the drums are not perfect too me (I think they are too mechanic, like we now that the drums have not been recorded) but it's a small detail. It's really good !

C4C?
Orphenae Midgard

Cheers !
Quote by pierrejo
Hi !
Nice guys !
I like the bass in the introduction. The song is well composed I think, with enough changes to keep interesting for an instrumental.
The mix is also quiet good, the drums are not perfect too me (I think they are too mechanic, like we now that the drums have not been recorded) but it's a small detail. It's really good !

C4C?
Orphenae Midgard

Cheers !

So far it has been a really mixed bag about the changes and dynamics of the song, thank you for at least liking it how it.

The drums are MIDI drums imported from guitar pro, sadly I am yet to figure out how to properly program them in Superior Drummer and stuff.
Cool track, love the piano intro, the bass fits perfectly, it's very punchy. Drums really suit it. I love the 1:00 minute mark and the really heavy part around 1:30. I can't find much wrong, playing is smooth, mix and production is solid. I really enjoyed the outro with the piano, it really helps close off the piece.

C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1676989
Quote by Poisonouspot
Cool track, love the piano intro, the bass fits perfectly, it's very punchy. Drums really suit it. I love the 1:00 minute mark and the really heavy part around 1:30. I can't find much wrong, playing is smooth, mix and production is solid. I really enjoyed the outro with the piano, it really helps close off the piece.

C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1676989

So basically, good flow and decent production. Cant really tell that all the electric guitar parts were recorded on an acoustic guitar. LOL.

Thank you kindly sir.
Hello (again).

Thought I'd give this one a listen too. This is a much better track than Swarm of the Century in my opinion. It' obviously much more developed. The intro with piano and bass was cool. Not too sure about having the guitar panned hard left for the distortion - sounded a tad odd in my headphones - but not as odd as I would have expected. The riffs are pretty sweet and the playing is much tighter too.

An enjoyable track. Thanks for posing it.

Cheers
Quote by RabidBadger
Hello (again).

Thought I'd give this one a listen too. This is a much better track than Swarm of the Century in my opinion. It' obviously much more developed. The intro with piano and bass was cool. Not too sure about having the guitar panned hard left for the distortion - sounded a tad odd in my headphones - but not as odd as I would have expected. The riffs are pretty sweet and the playing is much tighter too.

An enjoyable track. Thanks for posing it.

Cheers

Well doi, This track and Swarm of the Century have 4 years between them and I actually knew more or less what I was doing(recording direct and not via shitty mic placement infront of an even shittier amp at low volume).

The panning was made in order to make the instruments stand out more, specifically the guitar and bass. A technique I learned through Guitar Pro 6.....wait, I thought the distorted guitar was panned left?

Nevermind that, mind fart....it is panned left as you said. It is to make the bass and the guitar stand out. To give the bass/guitar/drums a power trio vibe.
Last edited by Guitar0player at May 30, 2015,
Typing as I listen. First off, I really like the timbre of that keyboard in the intro, and then damn, that bassline. The bass sounds really cool, and I love the little ad lib sounding bits the keyboard is providing throughout. The section that starts at around 1 minute is really cool, very early MGMT sort of stuff, sounds sort of Syd Barrett influenced. This distorted riff section really changes the dynamic in a good way, I like it when the keyboard doubles up that little lick. The section beginning at around 2:30 has a very proggy feel to it, and flows really well going back into that heavier part. The drums sound great considering they were imported from guitar pro! Awesome outro, I love a nice simple, stripped back outro.

I really like the track, it didn't get boring and I could feel the energy all the way through.

Maybe check mine out? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597006
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Quote by Hakoon1
Typing as I listen. First off, I really like the timbre of that keyboard in the intro, and then damn, that bassline. The bass sounds really cool, and I love the little ad lib sounding bits the keyboard is providing throughout. The section that starts at around 1 minute is really cool, very early MGMT sort of stuff, sounds sort of Syd Barrett influenced. This distorted riff section really changes the dynamic in a good way, I like it when the keyboard doubles up that little lick. The section beginning at around 2:30 has a very proggy feel to it, and flows really well going back into that heavier part. The drums sound great considering they were imported from guitar pro! Awesome outro, I love a nice simple, stripped back outro.

I really like the track, it didn't get boring and I could feel the energy all the way through.

Maybe check mine out? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597006

Thank you sir, thank you for understanding the spirit of this form of instrumental music. The keyboard is Kontakt 5's Factory Library Crunchy Mark 1 Fender Rhodes simulation with randomized automation(adds a lot to the livliness of the track). I must admit though that I dont listen to MGMT or Syd Barret(not even in Pink Floyd). So I cant really see the resemblance but these are very kind comparisons indeed, thank you once more.
Hey there,

Thanks so much for taking the time to check out my track and sharing this post.

Luna is a really groovy track. It gave off a 60s vibe for me, especially the bassline and synth. This also feels a little doomy. It reminded me of the band Ghost. There are a lot of cool ideas in here and they fit coheisvely. As for the mix, I think you achieved a nice balance amongst the instruments; I didn't have any issue distinguishing between the various tonal voices at any moment. I would like to mention though that the snare sounded a little mechanical at certain spots.

Here are some moments that captured my attention:
0:22 Awesome groovy bassline here
0:40 Synth and guitars join the party and continue to develop.
1:03 The slightly dissonant chord progression here is excellent.
2:08 Snare hits sound a little robotic here.
2:29 Cool synth melody!

It sounds like you're heading in a good direction with your music, thanks for the great listen.

Cheers!
Sounds like Ghost? Wow man...that is a REAL compliment, I wish I could've captured half of their essence in my music.
I'm gonna go through this as I listen because... I can
0:00 I really like that intro - could maybe do with a lo-fi type of effect (check out iZotope Vinyl which is free)
0:20 That bass tone sounds great! sounds a lot like the one from QOTSA's No One Knows
1:40 Out of interest, what guitar was used here? Sounds little muddy like the tone's turned down a bit. Might sound little better with a really harsh strat/tele bridge pickup sound. I like where it's going so far
2:28 see note 1
3:30 nice ending, but the organ could take a little longer to fade out
Overall: the drums could do with a bit of humanization (should be an option in the MIDI piano roll editor), but other than that, they sound good! Maybe a little compresson.

note1: the track might have a slightly darker feel if you went from b flat major to f minor
e|-x--
B|-3--
G|-3--
D|-3--
A|-1--
E|-x--
(B flat major)

e|-1--
B|-1--
G|-1--
D|-3--
A|-x--
E|-x--
(F minor)

Overall, I think the track sounds really good! Nothing much more to say really
I'm gonna go through this as I listen because... I can
0:00 I really like that intro - could maybe do with a lo-fi type of effect (check out iZotope Vinyl which is free)
0:20 That bass tone sounds great! sounds a lot like the one from QOTSA's No One Knows
1:40 Out of interest, what guitar was used here? Sounds little muddy like the tone's turned down a bit. Might sound little better with a really harsh strat/tele bridge pickup sound. I like where it's going so far
2:28 see note 1
3:30 nice ending, but the organ could take a little longer to fade out
Overall: the drums could do with a bit of humanization (should be an option in the MIDI piano roll editor), but other than that, they sound good! Maybe a little compresson.

Overall, I think the track sounds really good! Nothing much more to say really

Really? Gotta check it out. Do you know any versatile compressor plugins that I can add to tracks or to the over all mix to tighten it up as well?

Not really the tone I was going for but Nick Oliveri has an awesome bass tone that's for sure.

You aint gonna believe me on this one, it's an Ovation Al Di Meola signature acoustic guitar, it's all I had at the moment.

A lo fi effect on the Rhodes at that moment could've done some magic...

Perhaps you a right...maybe I really should've let the organ ring out a bit more.

I got Cubase, you mean the Quantize thing? I seriously dont know how to use it.
Mhmmm spacey I like.

Dang bitch, that bass tone. So glassy and round. Me jelly.

On a serious note, this is some epic songwriting. The track simply flows.

I really have nothing bad to say about the track, it's pretty much flawless. Good enough to go on a record the only suggestion I can give is maybe make the rhythm tone around 1:26 a little more conventional, but that's still a matter of taste, this track is awesome as it is.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Mhmmm spacey I like.

Dang bitch, that bass tone. So glassy and round. Me jelly.

On a serious note, this is some epic songwriting. The track simply flows.

I really have nothing bad to say about the track, it's pretty much flawless. Good enough to go on a record the only suggestion I can give is maybe make the rhythm tone around 1:26 a little more conventional, but that's still a matter of taste, this track is awesome as it is.

More conventional eh? Not bad for an acoustic guitar through a dirt amp.

Thank you for the kind words man, the bass tone is my special concoction.