I'm kind of in the process of figuring out what kind of amp setup i like the best. I have tried a POD HD500 direct to powered PA speaker which sounded good but found myself fiddling more than playing. Owned a handful of tube amps (original peavey valveking, H&K tubemeister 18, Bugera 6260, Peavey 6505+). The valveking and tubemeister just didn't have quite what i was looking for and the other two i sold at the time cause i was in University and needed the money. I play lots of heavier rock and i like that thick bottom end but I just don't have the money or the space for a 212 or 412 cabinet. I need to be able to use headphones so that really limits my tube amp selection. I also have a baby on the way (my first) so playing out loud will probably be minimized in December.

My current solution was I recently bought an Orange crush (which i currently would like to sell) that has an emulated 412 cab line out that i can connect direct to the powered pa speaker i have which gets me good low end but i am just missing that warmth tubes give you. And drive pedals i have (OCD/TIMMY clone, Wampler Triple Wreck Clone) do not sound too special through an SS amp. I have house reno's going on and don't have room in the budget to shell out for another amp.

So basically my specific needs in my amp are an effects loop, the ability to use with headphones, and to a lesser extent an xlr or 1/4" line out that can be plugged directly into my powered PA speaker. The latter may not be necessary if i can find an amp that has a satisfactory low end for what i like. For now i feel my two options are to find a nice sounding tube combo (i don't have a cab for use with a head) with an effects loop and headphone out, or to sell my amp/pedals etc and find another solution like the pod. My main gripe with the pod is the complexity of all the parameters that can be adjusted. If i had to choose a multi effects unit i would prefer something like the Boss ME-80 that is knob based or at least a bit easier to dial in a nice tone. Some amps i considered checking out are the blackstar HT series or a Traynor YCV20. Both amps have the options i require. The traynor is closer to $800 new and the Blackstar HT-5 is $600.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Tubes with a headphone out and good bottom-end

EVH 5150 III 2x12

The POD HD and a powered wedge will probably be of better use to you though since space is a concern.

You can look at the Peavey Vypyr tube 60 it is a 1x12 combo, but I'm not sure about the headphone thing

The new Mesa rectoverb25 1x12 is worth a look for you, but it is $1200ish new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think the Mesa and EVH are well out of my pricerange.

I've owned a Pod and didn't like tweaking parameters so much. I know the amplifi Firehawk or fx100 are a bit dated technology but editing with an ipad may be better for me than using the small screen or a computer which isn't near my gear. For an amp i would like to keep the cost as low as possible. Preferably below 6 or $700
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Last edited by tomsy49 at May 26, 2015,
I think the 6505 mini head has the options you are looking for, and you're already familiar with the peavey tone. So, that might be something worth checking out.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
I think the 6505 mini head has the options you are looking for, and you're already familiar with the peavey tone. So, that might be something worth checking out.

Are they out yet? I would assume they would be near that $700 range
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Yeah the 6505+ mini might be what your after. But it might be just over $700 with a cab.
The peavey bundle w/ 1x12 cab runs $750, the head is $500
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/6505PM112Bn
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Tubes with a headphone out and good bottom-end

EVH 5150 III 2x12

The POD HD and a powered wedge will probably be of better use to you though since space is a concern.

You can look at the Peavey Vypyr tube 60 it is a 1x12 combo, but I'm not sure about the headphone thing

The new Mesa rectoverb25 1x12 is worth a look for you, but it is $1200ish new

That would be a good way to go. I don't have any idea what they go for used though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Go with Traynor. I'm not familar with the one you mentioned, but the YCS100H1 (preferably), or the H2 have all that. I had the H1 for a while, the headphone-out didn't sound spectacular, but the XLR-out sounded amazing. If the YCV20 has a similar set-up you'll be fine, especially if you're using pedals anyway.
I think the ycv20 would be a good choice, but try before you buy. Also maybe try out the ycv40 too. The gain channels pretty decent on both of them.

If you do go for it, check out used. There's a few near me for 400-450
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
What about going with amp sims on the computer here? Need quiet - use headphones. Want sound - line out into PA setup.

I use Peavey ReValver and feel it does a great job for what I use it for. You could get the full blown package and a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones for under $300. Or use free amp sims.

I have 2 amps with headphones out (Randall RG and Peavey Vypyr) and think they both sound like crap.

Maybe something like the Mesa Mark V:25 with the cab clone will sound better but they're $$$

And you need a speaker load on a head when using headphones for the most part.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at May 26, 2015,