I've been playing about a year, and I think I might be doing alternate picking wrong. When switching strings I don't alternate, I go from downstroke to downstroke, if that makes sense. Does this affect my speed and ability in a negative way or is it fine the way it is?
Sounds like you're economy picking. It's definitely going to give you a different sound that isn't staccato like you would get with alternate picking. You might not notice a difference in sound initially but there definitely is a noticeable difference once your ear is trained with the two.

I would definitely say to try and properly alternate pick. From my experience it helps improve your timing as well. Economy picking can throw your timing off sometimes due to the inconsistent nature of the picking hand.

Ultimately it just depends what sound you're going for. I love the staccato, almost mechanical like sound of alternate picking for playing heavy metal in particular.
Quote by vayne92
Sounds like you're economy picking. It's definitely going to give you a different sound that isn't staccato like you would get with alternate picking. You might not notice a difference in sound initially but there definitely is a noticeable difference once your ear is trained with the two.

I would definitely say to try and properly alternate pick. From my experience it helps improve your timing as well. Economy picking can throw your timing off sometimes due to the inconsistent nature of the picking hand.

Ultimately it just depends what sound you're going for. I love the staccato, almost mechanical like sound of alternate picking for playing heavy metal in particular.

can't say i agree. i've been doing what the OP mentioned for a great number of years and had no issues. you're still double picking the notes on each string just saving the effort when moving from string to string. this of course is only when the last note on any given string is on a downstroke. actually if the last note is a downstroke before the string change i can see no reason to do an upstroke at all.
I've been playing since I was about 6, and I'm 18 now. I used to struggle with keeping alternate picking between strings. A few tips for you:
Try starting your scale/lick with an upstroke rather than a down stroke (I learnt this from watching many Paul Gilbert Videos, and it actually makes a huge difference when alternate picking).
Another tip would be to slow the lick down to around 40-60 bpm with a metronome and practice it at that speed making sure that you are picking in the correct direction for each note. Stay at one speed until you can comfortably play the lick without messing up for one minute straight. once you can do this, add 1 bpm to the metronome and repeat. Stay at the one speed until you can play it fluently with correct picking pattern and no mistakes for one solid minute.
This is how I practice, and I wish that I'd realised this is the most effective practicing routine sooner. I've spent the past 2 or 3 years of my life not progressing as a guitarist because I wasn't practicing properly.
You're economy picking. Using that isn't a bad thing at all. It's one of the fundamental building blocks of sweep picking after all. It's a nice tool to have in your arsenal. But I also encourage you to concentrate on alternate picking as well. Work on your weaknesses.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.