This is mostly just curiosity. If you didn't already have a combo, head or cab is there any cheap combo that's particularly suitable for a second life as a cab?

I assume many of the modeling amps are out of the running due to full range speakers, right? You probably wouldn't get good results with hooking that up to a tube head unless you changed out the speakers, right?

But something like a Fender Frontman 212? I am under the impression that those are intended for working musicians, people who play in church bands, bars, etc... I don't know how they're voiced though. What would they sound like with a Marshall head plugged in?
(Or is it even possible to plug the Marshall directly into the Fender without doing some minor wire switching?)

Hope I explained myself well enough... As I said it's mostly just curiosity anyways.
The trouble is that any combo that's cheaper than a cab is gonna have pretty poor quality speakers in.

Many of the modelling amps actually have guitar speakers but again, poor ones.

What would be your (hypothetical) aim exactly?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by paul.housley.7
This is mostly just curiosity. If you didn't already have a combo, head or cab is there any cheap combo that's particularly suitable for a second life as a cab?

I assume many of the modeling amps are out of the running due to full range speakers, right? You probably wouldn't get good results with hooking that up to a tube head unless you changed out the speakers, right?

Most cheap combo modeling amps don't have full range speakers.

But they also don't have speakers worth hooking up to anything else, either.
Oh I'm just creative about looking for cheap gear. There's a Red Bear head for sale near me that piqued my interest but I don't think it makes sense for me considering that the only speakers I have right now are the little one in a micro cube and the 8 inch celestion that came installed in my Kustom practice amp.

I was thinking I should get a cab anyways and I don't have much perspective on the relative qualities. I can see proper cabs going for anywhere from 200 on up, and complete amps -for example a JC-120 - at 500. I don't understand the overlap. Is a used dedicated 500 dollar cab going to sound significantly better than a used JC120? I saw a Twin in the same price range too.

I don't have any immediate plans to buy anything. I'm just curious.
Red Bear amps are actually really nice, they use a weird preamp tube that is plentiful, but not a big variety of makers to choose from.

If you want a cab woth good speakers but don't want to spend a fortune look at the offerings of Marshall-Boogie (they are a real company(Iguess)) They start at $299 + shipping and they have decent speakers in them

www.ebay.com/itm/2X12-Marshall-Boogie-Custom-Cabinet-Purple-Celestion-WGS-also-black-or-orange-/261898365072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfa5be890
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by paul.housley.7
I can see proper cabs going for anywhere from 200 on up, and complete amps -for example a JC-120 - at 500. I don't understand the overlap.

The overlap is three hundred dollars for what amounts to a not very good cab.

A JC120 has decent speakers for that amp but they are not versatile speakers. Same with a Twin. If you want to spend double for a stupidly heavy amp that can work as a "just ok" cab, you've found a bargain. If you want a cab with a quality, versatile Celestion or Eminence you can get those for half the price and a third the weight.

Try a Marshall head through a Twin sometime if you get a chance. It's not great. It's not the worst thing in the world either, but I don't see the point in spending more on a half-assed, super heavy cab just because it has an amp built in. A Twin is a mediocre cab at best for most amps that don't sound like a Twin, and if your head sounds like a Twin, why bother with it at all?

This is like wanting an egg and buying a chicken. If you just wanted an egg, you got in over your head. If you're happy with your purchase, you probably wanted a chicken in the first place.
Thanks fellas. I'm not exactly surprised that I got the answers I got but I am glad I heard it from you guys.

I'm not going to buy that Red Bear but I listened to a few demos on youtube. Wow. That is a cool sounding amp. I heard it's basically a Marshall clone? Is it like an 800?
Quote by paul.housley.7
Thanks fellas. I'm not exactly surprised that I got the answers I got but I am glad I heard it from you guys.

I'm not going to buy that Red Bear but I listened to a few demos on youtube. Wow. That is a cool sounding amp. I heard it's basically a Marshall clone? Is it like an 800?

no, it was it's own beast, had a sort of mid range bark similar to a Marshall.

My only issue with them is they were covered in speaker cab carpet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you could find a Line 6 Spider Valve amp cheap they came stock with V30s. I bought mine for $175, sold it for about the same, it was worth more than that for the speakers alone. Should've kept it....
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9