I have two different chord sheets plus often look online, and often times I'll see the same chord with the same fingering be given different names. Why does this happen? For example this chord... X02213 is called both Am7 and C6 on the same chord sheet!

What I'm most curious about, is the name of this chord: X02010. I find myself using it in my songs a lot. Is it Am7, C6, or something else? I'd love to put a name on it, but more than that, would help me have a better understanding of chord sequences I think. Thanks
Quote by panman36
I have two different chord sheets plus often look online, and often times I'll see the same chord with the same fingering be given different names. Why does this happen? For example this chord... X02213 is called both Am7 and C6 on the same chord sheet!

It happens because those two chords contain the same notes, for any given set of notes there are any number of ways of naming what you have, the correct name depends on the context really but most people tend to stick with the simplest name for most purposes.

Quote by panman36
What I'm most curious about, is the name of this chord: X02010. I find myself using it in my songs a lot. Is it Am7, C6, or something else? I'd love to put a name on it, but more than that, would help me have a better understanding of chord sequences I think. Thanks

That chord again could be either because it contains the right notes for both names. I would more quickly name it Am7 though, because that's a simpler chord that more people will likely know off the top of their head.

Basically what you need to do is learn some theory, read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?search_type=columns&value=the+crusade
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod is correct...its context...what chord comes before and after will define its function and the name of the chord..

example-Should Bmi7 be called D6?:

G Bmi7 Emi7 Ami7 D7 GMA7 this is a I iii7 vi7 ii7 V7 IMa7 progression..so in this context its Bmi7. The D6 would be a Major 6 chord and does not function as a minor chord which the iii7 in this progression requires.

hope this helps
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at May 28, 2015,
1. Try this thread next time.
2. Am7 should be correct for x02213 or x02010, the bass is A.
3. Xm7/(X+2) and (X+2)6 (e.g. Bm7/D and D6; Ebm7/Gb and Gb6) can be considered the same thing, in that the notes used are the same. But they serve different harmonic functions.

Check the Musicians Talk forum, seriously!