Is there a reason I'm not catching onto drop C? Like that's all anyone tunes to anymore, just play in standard or D standard. But the only bands who do this are hard rock bands to make themselves sound "heavier." *Cough Cough* Seether. I ain't got a problem with standard tunings, but why drop? To me that's just cheating your way out of playing because you're making it easier to play chords. Please explain why it's so fantastic and why you can't just tune to C or D standard.
I was in a band that played drop c# it dit the singers vocals (down half a step) and was good for fast heavy riffs (drop d) I never tried lower. I guess it's to give all those people that bought 5 string basses something to do.
Why not? Drop tunings make certain kinds of riffs work better, and D standard, like E standard, is a pretty common tuning, so sticking the dropped 6th string on it makes sense. Drop tunings also let you extend your downward range while keeping all your upward range and keeping most of the fretboard where it normally is.

Also it means you can play a br00tvl power chord with your left hand off the neck. Sounds dumb but if you're able to play stadiums, anything you can do to make it more theatrical is good.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Being in C may make it easier for the vocalists singing range. Using the drop tuning lets you do different chord shapes and what not. Im more of a standard tuning guy myself, but I have nothing against people who like to use drop tuning; and you shouldnt either
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
I have nothing against people who like to use drop tuning; and you shouldnt either

Normally I'd say like, don't tell people what to think, but basically this.

We don't call slide players lazy for using open tunings, do we?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by PiercedBand
To me that's just cheating your way out of playing because you're making it easier to play chords.

Calling a technique/tuning/idea/whatever "cheating" because it allows you to get the same-sounding result through easier means makes you instantly sound extremely dumb.

Besides that:
- more range - drop tunings give you more low end without sacrificing any high end
- completely new and different chord options
- new ways of using even the basic power chords, possible to write riffs using power chords that would be near-impossible in standard

Also I don't see how it's a "trend" in any way, it's one of the more popular tunings, but so is drop D or D standard. Been like that for a long time.
Use the techniques thread if you've got a real question, this just seems like complaining though