Hey everyone, I'm excited to be here. I'm highly interested in learning, understanding, and playing the guitar. I decided a while back to purchase and Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Fender amp. Let me say I love the guitar but I'm finding learning on my own to be difficult. There is so much information out there that it was overwhelming for me. So I went out and bought Rocksmith. What a different it have been for me to start grasping some of the guitar basics. Wanting to know more, I decided to enroll in a guitar class at a local community college. All is well until I found out that I will need an acoustic guitar. From what I have experienced, I know I love the sustain aspect of playing and I'm very highly interested in learning how to play, The Final Countdown by Europe, and of course love practicing via Rocksmith and my amp.

From everything I mentioned could any of you recommend an acoustic guitar with good sustain, electronic pickup, and cost under $380 bucks? Alos, should I get a sustain pedel, if so any recommendations?
Beginning Level
Just Learning, Still Learning, Continued Learning, Always Leading
Check out Recording King and Alvarez, both good quality for their price and you should be able to grab an electro-acoustic in your price bracket (though it might be cutting close). Don't expect it to be incredible, but for your budget they're a good bet for getting the most bang for your buck.
Quote by kingdaveiv
.From everything I mentioned could any of you recommend an acoustic guitar with good sustain, electronic pickup, and cost under $380 bucks? Alos, should I get a sustain pedel, if so any recommendations?
You could easily afford a Yamaha FGX-700 SC, Plus, you'd have some money left over for a gig bag, tuner, and some extra strings.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/yamaha-fgx700sc-solid-top-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar/h74858000003000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CP3rpInj48UCFYUXHwodilYAnA&kwid=productads-plaid^83572735467-sku^H74858000003000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^53736456387

Moving on, (and assuming you don't mind me asking), What the heck is a "sustain pedal"?

If you mean either a distortion booster or a compressor, both of them will likely create almost uncontrollable feedback when used with an acoustic guitar.

Acoustic guitars don't "sustain" like an electric tricked up with effects. An acoustic is an entirely different animal.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 28, 2015,
Thanks everyone for the replies and the suggestions. I plan on heading to a few music stores in the next couple of days to try out your suggestions.
@CC and TD I will heed your advise and hold off on the effects devices.
Beginning Level
So I went looking at those guitars like I said and let me say I was amazed. The Yamaha's and Recording Kings both sounded great but I have to admit the Recording King was a bit louder and rich. Unfortunately, none of the stores had one for under $500. I would not mind the price if I wasn't a beginner and could actually put chords togeater fluidly.

So out of curiosity is $320 a reasonable price for the Yamaha FGX700SC? Or could I do better for that price?
Beginning Level
Last edited by kingdaveiv at May 29, 2015,
Quote by kingdaveiv
...[ ]....So out of curiosity is $320 a reasonable price for the Yamaha FGX700SC? Or could I do better for that price?
The day to day selling price of the FGX-700 is $299.00, online. It could be had for less during one of Musician's Friend's "coupon" holiday sales. In general, that price is final, with free shipping and no sales tax.

It's reasonable to suggest, that $320.00 is a "fair price", in the context of walking into a local store, and walking out with your new guitar.

As for the Recording King, a nickel certainly isn't a high price in the context of acoustic guitars overall.

Some thoughts about the two guitars in comparison. Many people have bought Yamaha 700's, and been happy with them for years without upgrading.

However, if the Recording King sparks your fancy, and you can afford it, there is no reason you shouldn't treat yourself to one.

Ostensibly, guitar players are always looking for the instrument which, "speaks to them". If you've found one such guitar, perhaps it will inspire your learning efforts.

Many players have horror stories, (myself included), about their first cheapo, poor playing, bad sounding, first guitar. I see no reason to suffer in our footsteps, if you have an instrument which sounds and feels comfortable, it could speed the learning process along.

The question isn't whether you can "live up to the guitar now", but whether you might in the future.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 29, 2015,