Hello! I've been a member of UG for quite a while (contribuited with a few tabs and so).. I'm planning to do a duo cover with a female friend of mine of the song Christmas Lights by Coldplay, but I can't find a tab for the fingerstyle version of it anywhere! (we're going to use two guitars, one representing the piano and the other will strum regularly)

I've found a video close to what i'm looking for here: (check out the beggining, he starts strumming it afterwards) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4fkDS7MefY

I've started playing guitar five months ago so I'm still a novice, and figuring out a tab like this is pretty hard! Can someone help me out? I just need something to start off with, I think I can handle myself throughout the rest of the song if someone helps me with the begging

Thanks!
Last edited by cheddargt at May 27, 2015,
Is what you are asking for then basically a tab of the individual notes that are played on the piano at the beginning of the song?.... So that while one of you strum the chords the other will try and duplicate the piano...

http://youtu.be/z1rYmzQ8C9Q

If so then I guess you already have one of the chord tabs from this site like this one
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/c/coldplay/christmas_lights_ver5_crd.htm

And all you need is someone to basically tab what is being played in the intro of the song on the piano which to me is what this guy is basically doing.
Quote by DON CZARSKI
Is what you are asking for then basically a tab of the individual notes that are played on the piano at the beginning of the song?.... So that while one of you strum the chords the other will try and duplicate the piano...

youtube

If so then I guess you already have one of the chord tabs from this site like this one
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/c/coldplay/christmas_lights_ver5_crd.htm

And all you need is someone to basically tab what is being played in the intro of the song on the piano which to me is what this guy is basically doing.

Precisely! Sorry if I didn't make myself very clear!
Ok...see If Something Like This Works For You ... If It Does And You Like It And Want Me To Go Farther Let Me Know Ok.... This Is Based On Coldplays Version Which I Have Here... It does Sound Like The Guy In The Video Somewhat.....

Intro To Coldplays Version:

E -15-14-------------
B --------12-13-15---
G -------------------
D -------------------
A -------------------
E -------------------

Or Can Play It Here

E --3-2--------
B -------------
G ------4-5-7-- 
D -------------
A -------------
E -------------

Then 

E -----------------------------------------
B -----------------------------------------
G -0-2-4-0----0-2-4-0-----0-2-4-0----5-4---
D ---------0----------0-----------0--------
A -----------------------------------------

G -0-2-4-0----0-2-4-0-----0-2-4-0----5-4---
D ---------0----------0-----------0--------

Or I Like It Played Here Better......

E -15-14-------------
B --------12-13-15---
G -------------------
D -------------------
A -------------------
E -------------------

E --3-2--------
B -------------
G ------4-5-7-- 
D -------------
A -------------
E -------------

Then:
G -------4----------4----------4------5-4--
D ---5-7---5----5-7---5----5-7---5---------
A -----------5----------5----------5-------

G -------4----------4----------4------5-4--
D ---5-7---5----5-7---5----5-7---5---------
A -----------5----------5----------5-------

Last edited by DON CZARSKI at May 28, 2015,
Quote by DON CZARSKI
I was also looking around on the Internet to see if there was anything already out there... And found this..this may be exactly what you are looking for.... It has the chords and also the tab... For guitar....So if you print this out then both of you will be on the same page as when to play what and when...

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/printthread.php?t=74532&pp=15&page=1

The one you tabbed sounds great! You're a god, man! Thank you so much! Also, how did you find this?! That's some jaw-dropping research skills you've got

The one in the link sounds a bit off in my guitar, particularly. The one you did sounds spot on! Well, if it isn't asking too much, I'd love if you could go farther! This song pretty much loops itself so I think i'll be okay if you wouldn't, also

How did you manage? Did you "transcribe" the piano notes to the guitar or that was simply from experience and knowledge in guitar playing?
Last edited by cheddargt at May 28, 2015,
Basically I just pull up the you tube video and sort of pick around until I get something I like... Especially when it comes to taking piano and making it to guitar...I am self taught so I listen to the piano and then try to make it sound similar on the guitar.... Also, I like to keep it simple... I figure if I give the basic someone can always embellish it more if they want to... I will try and add to this for you...ok... I basically only listened to the beginning of the song and really didn't get too much farther... Mainly because if you didn't like it then it was no sense for me to go on with it...

I will listen to more of the song to see if there are other parts that are different and don't repeat and see what I can come up for you in those places...ok

I have a few tab requests to do here and there but I will get back and add to it as I do it... In case I forget just send me a message... Sometimes as I get busy I forget ?...don't think at any time that you are bothering me because you aren't....ok
Quote by DON CZARSKI
Basically I just pull up the you tube video and sort of pick around until I get something I like... Especially when it comes to taking piano and making it to guitar...I am self taught so I listen to the piano and then try to make it sound similar on the guitar.... Also, I like to keep it simple... I figure if I give the basic someone can always embellish it more if they want to... I will try and add to this for you...ok... I basically only listened to the beginning of the song and really didn't get too much farther... Mainly because if you didn't like it then it was no sense for me to go on with it...

I will listen to more of the song to see if there are other parts that are different and don't repeat and see what I can come up for you in those places...ok

I have a few tab requests to do here and there but I will get back and add to it as I do it... In case I forget just send me a message... Sometimes as I get busy I forget ?...don't think at any time that you are bothering me because you aren't....ok

Oh man! Thanks a ton! You're great! I'll upload some tabs soon too probably (since I don't know much about chords and how to identify them, I mainly upload Brazilian tabs and PT-BR versions of disney songs and such to make the website bigger ). I'll keep trying to tab this one out aswell from what you've done so far, I'll message you back in a week or so if I see no response, ok?
Here Is Another Section That Begins At 2:22 And Basically Goes Until The End Of The Song.....

2:22 Those Xmas Lights Light Up The Street

B ---------------------------3-5-5-3-------
G -4-4-2-0----4----------0-4----------0-4--
D --------------5-2-0----------------------

E ----------------------------------------
B -----3-5-5-3----------------------------
G -0-4---------0-4----4-4-2-0----4--------
D ---------------------------------5-2-0--
A ----------------------------------------

If There Is Another Paert You Need Put The Time In Where It Begins And Ends And I Will Do It.....

I Would Suggest After The First Part That Both Guitars Play Together For A Bit With Chords Until Around This Section And Then Bring It Down A Bit And Play This Part Until The End.. Or Right Before The End Build It Up And Play Chords Together Again....
Quote by DON CZARSKI
Here Is Another Section That Begins At 2:22 And Basically Goes Until The End Of The Song.....

2:22 Those Xmas Lights Light Up The Street

B ---------------------------3-5-5-3-------
G -4-4-2-0----4----------0-4----------0-4--
D --------------5-2-0----------------------

B -----3-5-5-3----------------------------
G -0-4---------0-4----4-4-2-0----4--------
D ---------------------------------5-2-0--
A ----------------------------------------

If There Is Another Paert You Need Put The Time In Where It Begins And Ends And I Will Do It.....

I Would Suggest After The First Part That Both Guitars Play Together For A Bit With Chords Until Around This Section And Then Bring It Down A Bit And Play This Part Until The End.. Or Right Before The End Build It Up And Play Chords Together Again....

Thank you so much! Yeah yeah, I've already separated the lyrics between me and my female friend, probably the parts where we both sing, the guitar will strum along. I'll start practicing this week, my part will probably be the piano and hers, the guitar. I'll let you know asap if there's any struggle with the song! Thanks a ton for your help! Even though not many people will see it, I'll add a special thanks to you, sir, at the end of the video!
Quote by DON CZARSKI
Let me know when you post the video..I would definitely like to see it...ok

Sure thing! It will probably be around december, since there's much practice and training to do beforehand. I'll make sure to message you with a link when I post it. My guitar apparently is with some weird noises at the moment, so I couldn't check out all the parts you tabbed out so far yet. I'm taking it to a guy to fix it and then I'll check out your tab, alright?
Quote by DON CZARSKI
Hope they fix it for you... Sure they will...

I'm back at practicing this right now, sounds really great! Though i'd like to know if there's any way to play this by using other strings aswell instead only one... I don't know, maybe more of an adapted version instead of a precise piano one :P