0 0%
1980 or earlier
6 35%
1985 or earlier
6 35%
1990 or earlier
3 18%
Voters: 17.
So after a Facebook debate today, i'm curious as to what UG has to say.

Pedals first hit the market around 1960, 55 years ago. How old does one have to be to be called "vintage"?
mojostompboxes.com
Anything non-digital is vintage, even if it was made in 2015.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
i think you'd have to take each effect on an individual basis. if you are talking Fuzz for instance then you'd be talking 60s to maybe early 70s. on the other hand Phasers would be 70s and something like Chorus would be 80s.
Technically speaking, the market definition of "vintage" is something that is seven years or older. So in all likelihood, most of your rig is vintage.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
My personal definition of "vintage" gear is something obviously old but currently works very well. And that's in general but not rigid. That's just specific for my purposes though. If I had to put a number on it, I guess I would say 25 years old. But because "vintage" is so widely used as a buzz word, I add in the limiter that it has to work well currently.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by necrosis1193
Technically speaking, the market definition of "vintage" is something that is seven years or older. So in all likelihood, most of your rig is vintage.

Where did you read that and more importantly why did you believe it when you did?

The only place I can find that claims that 7 years is vintage is on the Apple website, specifically referring to their own policies on parts support. I really hope you have a weird uncle who is lying to you about what words mean and not that you think that the Genius Bar is responsible for 'technical market definitions.'

To answer the question, anything with one pot that is frozen or dirty beyond repair (or has had such replaced), and does not have a 9v adapter input, is vintage.
Good question. I have some 80s gear that I don't consider vintage. So I guess personally I would say 35 years? Ish?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think it has to have been out of production for at least 20 years. I swear we had this same thread about a year ago
I would define vintage as something that was made in the early days of whatever particular pedal you are talking about.
Like Vintage for Fuzz Face may be older in years than Vintage for a Tubescreamer.

And I don't think being in working condition is a qualifier as vintage, market value yes, as a qualifier for being defined as vintage, no (As long as it has all original parts).

But to put a definitive number on it, I would go 20 to 25 years.
Last edited by CodeMonk at May 28, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
i think you'd have to take each effect on an individual basis. if you are talking Fuzz for instance then you'd be talking 60s to maybe early 70s. on the other hand Phasers would be 70s and something like Chorus would be 80s.

its complicated, but this is the best reasoning i have read.

it really varies with things though, it is a EXTREMELY subjective term. too subjective. its one of those words that gets slapped on things that a lot of people use to make something seem more valuable. its a word i really don't like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
1700s
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its complicated, but this is the best reasoning i have read.

it really varies with things though, it is a EXTREMELY subjective term. too subjective. its one of those words that gets slapped on things that a lot of people use to make something seem more valuable. its a word i really don't like.

agree on use of term. if you dig deeper on the meaning then it becomes a little clearer. while many want to use it as a blanket term it just isn't. for electric guitars it should mean the early years of any given brand. way it's most often used is to lump everything together and say if it was made before (fill in often arbitrary year here) then it's "vintage" if made after then not. that doesn't really work. for instance take a BC Rich guitar. early models were made in the late 70s to early 80s. it would seem safe to say that a "vintage" BC Rich would have been made in those years. many balk at the idea of a late 70s to early 80s guitar as being "vintage"

same principle would apply to effects. early or "vintage" digital effects could be from the late 70s to early 80s. for something like a fuzz then you are talking older.

at this point "vintage" is just a buzz word ment to imply that it is worth more whether that's true or not.
Quote by monwobobbo
agree on use of term. if you dig deeper on the meaning then it becomes a little clearer. while many want to use it as a blanket term it just isn't. for electric guitars it should mean the early years of any given brand. way it's most often used is to lump everything together and say if it was made before (fill in often arbitrary year here) then it's "vintage" if made after then not. that doesn't really work. for instance take a BC Rich guitar. early models were made in the late 70s to early 80s. it would seem safe to say that a "vintage" BC Rich would have been made in those years. many balk at the idea of a late 70s to early 80s guitar as being "vintage"

same principle would apply to effects. early or "vintage" digital effects could be from the late 70s to early 80s. for something like a fuzz then you are talking older.

at this point "vintage" is just a buzz word ment to imply that it is worth more whether that's true or not

that is exactly it IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Old enough that some sucker on TGP will pay more for a damaged “vintage” pedal than for a shiny new one.
I've never really cared. When I'm shopping for stuff myself, all I care about is whether it works and if it's cool sounding/looking. So if I'm looking at something and the seller says it's vintage, I don't even think anything of it. Although I will give the guy a weird look that kind of says "seriously?" if the thing is any less than 20 years old. That's the same line I draw at my store. I pretty much never use the term unless a customer prompted it himself, and if someone asks about vintage stuff, I'll show him any used stuff we have that's more than 20 years old. There's usually not much. A guitar or two and maybe an amp. If that.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Vintage gear is quality equipment that people have gradually spent increasing sums of money on well in excess of what it was originally priced at, as its longevity has been preserved by the artists that became well known by incorporating this in their sound and those who want to follow them.

If the gear remains the same price or drops or isn't well known then its vintage only in age not in quality, or badly broken or something.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Vintage: Around long enough for the company to make some minor changes so that people can talk about how the pedals built prior to those changes are better because of reasons.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by Roc8995
Where did you read that and more importantly why did you believe it when you did?

The only place I can find that claims that 7 years is vintage is on the Apple website, specifically referring to their own policies on parts support. I really hope you have a weird uncle who is lying to you about what words mean and not that you think that the Genius Bar is responsible for 'technical market definitions.'

To answer the question, anything with one pot that is frozen or dirty beyond repair (or has had such replaced), and does not have a 9v adapter input, is vintage.

Awesome response. Saved and will be quoted in the future

For me, anything in my 2 1/2 flaptop bins of old closely packed tiny metal boxes is vintage if you want to buy it from me, useless space-grabbing junk if you talk to my wife and annoying when I want to use one because I forgot to take out the battery and it's now all corroded, for me.
Quote by necrosis1193

My socks and underwear are mostly vintage.
The use of "vintage" to describe something without a specific year attached to it is a bastardization of the word, usually used by someone who wants to add value without adding any real detail.

I understand that language evolves, but this isn't evolution, it's simply marketing.

If you really want to use the word, take a clue from the wine community and use it correctly. "Vintage" isn't about any specific age, it's to describe when the product was created. "Vintage 1987" and "Vintage 2014" are both equally valid and actually provide relevant detail. "Vintage Tubescreamer" does not.

Quote by necrosis1193

According to who?

Quote by dspellman
My socks and underwear are mostly vintage.

I think you're confusing antique and vintage...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at May 28, 2015,
Quote by Roc8995

And leave my weird uncle out of this.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 28, 2015,
Quote by necrosis1193

And leave my weird uncle out of this.

Great answer, we should all get our word definitions from the Ebay community, especially from users like mamamari1978 in response 18...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Vintage/How-old-does-something-need-to-be-to-be-considered-vinatge-or/m-p/2599543#M20071

FFS!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Great answer, we should all get our word definitions from the Ebay community, especially from users like mamamari1978 in response 18...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Vintage/How-old-does-something-need-to-be-to-be-considered-vinatge-or/m-p/2599543#M20071

FFS!

A. Well I do always make my smartest statements at 1 AM
B. Do you sincerely think that I have been on this website for seven years yet would be dumb enough to say that gear as old as my account is vintage without being facetious

Quote by necrosis1193
A. Well I do always make my smartest statements at 1 AM
B. Do you sincerely think that I have been on this website for seven years yet would be dumb enough to say that gear as old as my account is vintage without being facetious

I'm pretty sure you thought the answer made sense at the time. It really looked "official" the way that Google presented it, and I expect you just went with it.

No harm, we've all done similar things, and I appreciate it because it gave me someone to make fun of this morning!!

Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I'm pretty sure you thought the answer made sense at the time. It really looked "official" the way that Google presented it, and I expect you just went with it.

Not that it matters, but "So in all likelihood, most of your rig is vintage." makes me unsure
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Arby911
The use of "vintage" to describe something without a specific year attached to it is a bastardization of the word, usually used by someone who wants to add value without adding any real detail.

I understand that language evolves, but this isn't evolution, it's simply marketing.

That's the real answer.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A lot of valid and humorous but true opinions. I'll add my useless 2 cents. First off the word vintage is like the words "collectable" and the worst phrase of all "limited". Everything made is limited till they decide to stop making them. How many "limited" editions of anything have we seen. Anyway back to "vintage". First off I think vintage should mean "good" and often "better than what came after". Second I think vintage should mean that it is highly desirable. And lastly vintage should mean no one makes anything exactly like this anymore. Here's an example: I own a box full of Ibanez Tube Screamers (original TS-9, two TS-10, Super Tube, TS-5, and two TS-7). In my opinion the TS-10 fits my idea of "vintage" but not the TS-9. Why? Because the Ibanez TS-9 is still in production and is made with the same parts and sounds identical to one made in 1983. The TS-10 is no longer made and was not the same as a TS-9. It sounds different and currently sells for about $150.00 or more on EBay so apparently it is desirable. That's vintage. Anyone who buys an original 1983-84 TS-9 for $400-500.00 has fallen for the "vintage is better" myth.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 28, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
A lot of valid and humorous but true opinions. I'll add my useless 2 cents. First off the word vintage is like the words "collectable" and the worst phrase of all "limited". Everything made is limited till they decide to stop making them. How many "limited" editions of anything have we seen. Anyway back to "vintage". First off I think vintage should mean "good" and often "better than what came after". Second I think vintage should mean that it is highly desirable. And lastly vintage should mean no one makes anything exactly like this anymore. Here's an example: I own a box full of Ibanez Tube Screamers (original TS-9, two TS-10, Super Tube, TS-5, and two TS-7). In my opinion the TS-10 fits my idea of "vintage" but not the TS-9. Why? Because the Ibanez TS-9 is still in production and is made with the same parts and sounds identical to one made in 1983. The TS-10 is no longer made and was not the same as a TS-9. It sounds different and currently sells for about $150.00 or more on EBay so apparently it is desirable. That's vintage. Anyone who buys an original 1983-84 TS-9 for $400-500.00 has fallen for the "vintage is better" myth.

i disagree with that. theres a certain type of person who appreciates something rare and vintage for the reason that it is vintage. i'm not one for the sound of them, but there's something about a really old pedal that makes it a pleasure to own.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
but there's something about a really old pedal that makes it a pleasure to own.

Yeah, the fact that it's old and we've been conditioned to believe that necessarily means it's good.

If you had a thirty year old pedal but you didn't know it was thirty years old, it wouldn't be "a pleasure to own". At least not any more than any other pedal you may have. Maybe if it was just a really good sounding pedal, that would make it seem special. But that doesn't have anything to do with the age, necessarily.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6