Hey all, I've currently got a 2007 made in Japan Jacskon DKMG with active EMG pickups and a licensed floyd rose. I've had enough of the floyd and want to get rid of it for something with a fixed bridge (also having problems with adjusting the action) , so I've been given an offer to trade it with someone for a Schecter Damien Elite

Is this a worthwhile trade? What would the differences be, especially neckwise from experience? Thanks for the advice guys
I used to own a Damien Elite. I traded it way due to the name, but honestly it played pretty nice. Sounded like a freight train when you put it into a proper amp.=) On the downside I've seen them sell used at GC for $250. (Granted it had a pretty ugly scratch on it.) The neck seems a bit curvier than the Jackson necks I'm used to. But it's not really a bad thing. It's actually really comfy near the nut.=)
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
I'd say it's a pretty good trade, if you're trying to get out of the Floyd business (and with a Jackson licensed Floyd, I'm not surprised you're sick of it). I love Schecters, and the Damien Elite is a fantastic guitar for its price range.

Personally, though, I probably wouldn't do that trade, but strictly because I have a total boner for Japanese-made guitars. Every one I've played, from any brand, just feels so damn nice. Definitely a huge step up from any other Asian import country. I've played Japanese Fenders that felt better than any US-made Fender I've played, including select-series and custom shop models. I wish Schecter made some models in Japan. But it's okay, because Korea has stepped up a lot, and there are some very nice guitars coming from there. Schecter also uses an Indonesian factory for their lower-end models (including the Damien Elite), and while I don't think they feel as good as the Korean ones, they're definitely not bad, if they have a good setup.

I'd say play the Damien before accepting the trade, obviously, and if it feels good to you, go for it. Like I said, I wouldn't get rid of the Japanese Jackson, but just because I love Japanese guitars, and would never get rid of one if I had one. But that's just me.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Better idea. Put a real floyd in the Jackson
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by GraceByDeath

Seconding this.

The Jackson is a much nicer guitar than the Schecter, having owned a DK2M (more or less the same thing as the DKMG) and having almost owned a Damien Elite.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by GraceByDeath

DING DING DING DING
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Or you could just block the trem in your Jackson and be done with it, you will notice a stronger tone with more sustaine too. I don't think I would ever get rid of my Japanese made Jackson you can't really beat the build quality at that price.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Quote by UFC on VHS
Or you could just block the trem in your Jackson and be done with it, you will notice a stronger tone with more sustaine too. I don't think I would ever get rid of my Japanese made Jackson you can't really beat the build quality at that price.

+1

Although from experience a blocked trem is still not the same a a string thru. I don't have a lot of experience with Schecter but have own/have owned several Jacksons from JS series to USA and I always liked the Jackson necks better than Schecters.
Quote by GraceByDeath

+1

I'd much rather have the MIJ Jackson than the Schecter, especially since you can't get the Jacksons new any more.

Granted, if you really hate the Floyd it still might be worth it. But I'd think long and hard before basically (in my opinion) trading down.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
All elitist bs aside. The big question is do you like Schecters "thin c" neck.

Sure the Jackson has a higher resale, but it has a Floyd too, that seems to always drive prices up.

They're both emg, bolt together so not much there. I'd say if you like schecter necks, do it.
Am I the only one who loves the Jackson licensed trems?

I've had my dk2 since 2005 and the trem never goes out of tune. (The worst out of tune it's gotten is less than a cent off. but it rarely happens) I can dive bomb all I want and it stays in tune.

Meh, too each their own, I guess.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Am I the only one who loves the Jackson licensed trems?

I've had my dk2 since 2005 and the trem never goes out of tune. (The worst out of tune it's gotten is less than a cent off. but it rarely happens) I can dive bomb all I want and it stays in tune.

Meh, too each their own, I guess.

Hi Chaz. Tell Andrea I said hi.

But yeah, when I bought my DK2M used, the Floyd just wouldn't stay in tune because the previous owner ruined the knife edges by adjusting the studs under full string tension. I replaced with a Schaller mainly for that reason, but I just hear more consistency with a proper OFR.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Thanks for the replies guys, I just wondered. For those of you whom have owned both, how do the necks compare?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

I'd much rather have the MIJ Jackson than the Schecter, especially since you can't get the Jacksons new any more.

Granted, if you really hate the Floyd it still might be worth it. But I'd think long and hard before basically (in my opinion) trading down.

i would have a hard time getting rid of a MIJ jackson again.

i did well off mine, but i don't know if i were to do it all over again i would sell it again.

schecter has always been rather meh for me. there are better and worse. i would take the jackson any day.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Any chance you can just put the Jackson down for a while and buy something else? Those Jacksons are nice and from others experiences there's normally regret in selling them.

$200 for an Original Floyd Rose and you should be in business again.

If you're having issues with the setup then maybe take it to a tech before you decide.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by littledude565
Thanks for the replies guys, I just wondered. For those of you whom have owned both, how do the necks compare?

The DKMG's neck is wider, thinner, and flatter than the Schecter.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would have a hard time getting rid of a MIJ jackson again.

i did well off mine, but i don't know if i were to do it all over again i would sell it again.

schecter has always been rather meh for me. there are better and worse. i would take the jackson any day.

yeah i got a jackson dkmgt for a very good price just before they were discontinued. glad i did

and yeah i always found shecters a bit meh too- i haven't tried very many, though, and haven't tried any for several (5+) years, because there aren't any dealers here (i think ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by littledude565

The Schecter is more rounded. They're actually very close to the same thickness, but the jackson will feel thinner because it's more flat around the back. Jackson calls it a U shape, while Schecter likens theirs to a C. I like the feel of both. I'm more used to Schecters, since I own two of them, but I don't feel inhibited playing a jackson.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
The Schecter is more rounded. They're actually very close to the same thickness, but the jackson will feel thinner because it's more flat around the back. Jackson calls it a U shape, while Schecter likens theirs to a C...

+1

I'd say that the Damien Elite's neck is going to be a little comfier because it fits a little better in your hand when you're playing rhythm stuff, but the Jackson feels better when you're playing leads. It's really just a preference thing on the neck shape. I don't own a Dinky but I do own a Jackson and the necks should be fairly close. I love my Jackson's neck, but the Damien Elite's neck...Maybe the frets were curved a bit more if I remember correctly? I liked it. Played great. Was my first experience with XJ sized frets and they're incredible. Bends are easier, tapping is better, hammers and pull offs, and the like. The Jackson has very close to the same fret size though. Just play both and see if you feel like doing it. Both are great guitars at the price range they're at.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Hi Chaz. Tell Andrea I said hi.

But yeah, when I bought my DK2M used, the Floyd just wouldn't stay in tune because the previous owner ruined the knife edges by adjusting the studs under full string tension. I replaced with a Schaller mainly for that reason, but I just hear more consistency with a proper OFR.

Will do, bud.

And yeah, miss-using a trem like that will mess it up. I got mine new and never messed with the stud height after stringing the guitar.
Which is probably why my dk2's trem has held up so well over a full decade.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at May 29, 2015,