So I've narrowed it down to these two guitars but I can't decide between them even after watching some youtube demos. I've been to a GC and a local non-chain store and was only able to try a Fender Jazzmaster (which I did like) so I figured I should start a thread here.

I don't have a scale length preference. I'm used to 25.5 inch necks but I do have smaller hands so whichever one I get, I'm sure I'll adapt to the neck.

My favorite genres (for playing) are 90's indie rock, post-rock, and surf/garage. I love warm cleans, but also want the opportunity to get darker + jangly + angular tones. better compability with pedals is also useful. I don't plan on doing any mods (except for maybe changing the bridge if I run into issues).

My amp is a Princeton Reverb reissue.

What do you think I should go with?
personally i prefer the jazzmaster but that's just me. if you tried one and liked it then go for it. the jaguar will have a sound somewhat closer to a strat (but not exactly).
Try each one if you can. If you're not a masochist, you'll probably swap out the bridge as you say, and maybe the nut too, as well as using strings of at least 11-49 or so if you ever mean to use the trem.

My personal preference is for the Jag, which is janglier, but they're both fantastic guitars (Some people might disagree with me but I have a huge amount of praise for the VM range) and especially for the amount you pay. Since you want both very trebly and warmer tones on one guitar, they can both work pretty well; the rhythm circuit switch featured on both does a lot to extend your available range of tones, the philistines who block it off notwithstanding I would argue that the Jaguar's bass-cut switch will be useful for the other extreme, the very trebly sounds.

So I'd personally go with the Jag (and I did ) but either should do the job nicely for you.

Just for the record, I would recommend one other mod, which should be very much possible to do yourself (it's one I've been driven to do and, scared though I was while doing it, it was quite easy), which is the one discussed under "String breakage" here. Or you can just as easily wait and see whether you actually get string breakage problems in the first place. Just be aware that if you do, there's an easy fix about.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Jazzmaster with Mastery Bridge
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Quote by icanhasgodmode
Jazzmaster with Mastery Bridge

I have as much admiration for the mastery bridge as anyone, but it's not exactly cheap. On the VM offsets the nut will probably be the bigger tuning issue than the bridge, especially if you stick a Mustang bridge on there.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
yeah the reason i'm getting a squier instead of a fender is to keep it cheap. i want to be able to do one or two really cheap mods to do away with playing issues (e.g. strings going out of tune or slipping out of place) and then just play it as is.

really appreciate the answers so far! i watched more demos and this specific one is making me lean toward the jaguar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m7H9bsJ88c