Page 1 of 2
How are we lads, haven't posted anything for years and that was when i was a complete spastic and made daily posts about "which pickups should i get for christmas" and shit ahah.

Anyway, Looking to spend something between $400-$600 on a new amp, looking at the Spider IV 75 or 120.

I play a lot of Alternative like the Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys and Muse. So naturally I need to easily change from crunchy blues tones to full on fuzz A LOT.

Anyone have any other suggestions or is the Spider IV the way to go?
Tanglewood 85 Les Paul <3
Vox V847 <3
Orange Pix Crush
preparing for onslaugt of laughter. trolling i'm sure.

just in case though, dude even years ago this board had a healthy disdain for that series of amps.

get a Peavey Vypyr or perhaps a vox valvetronix for that style of music.
Ye saw it coming tbh. IDGAF about tube amp elitists, if it sounds good, i like it ya feel?

and ye i was thinking maybe one of those fender mustang may give appropriate clean tones
Vox V847 <3
Orange Pix Crush
Ye righto mate ill take them into consideration
Vox V847 <3
Orange Pix Crush
Quote by Useful Utensils
if it sounds good

This is where the Spider falls down

Nah, they're not as bad as all that, but the Vypyr's the better option by far. Don't dismiss people who disagree with you as tube amp elitists. A lot of the people on here dead set against the Spider are people who know a lot more of what they're talking about than either of us.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 28, 2015,
A used Spider Valve combo would be good, but not the regular spider. Here is a 1x12 SV combo for $299
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Spider-Valve-40W-1X12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111030817-i4251059.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Useful Utensils
Ye saw it coming tbh. IDGAF about tube amp elitists, if it sounds good, i like it ya feel?

and ye i was thinking maybe one of those fender mustang may give appropriate clean tones

my australian filter must be off today. the Spyder isn't the most versatile cheap amp. you asked i'm sayin. ye feel

as for being a tube snob you will note that i didn't say get a tube amp.

still thinking troll
Anti-tube snob is just as bad as a tube snob. Tubes never indicate whether an amp is good or bad.

But the Spider is still shit. I'd get a Line 6 Vetta combo.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Useful Utensils
I need to easily change from crunchy blues tones to full on fuzz A LOT.

That's as simple as engaging a fuzz pedal. Get a decent amp and a fuzz pedal. That's all you need. I would recommend a Bugera BC30 or V22 and some pedals.
Can't you get a Peavey Classic 30 for that kind of money? If not new, used at least. Would look at that.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Ye righto lads, sounds like you're just all talking shit about the Spider IMO

thought i'd get some fair feedback and comparison but nah lol
Vox V847 <3
Orange Pix Crush
Quote by Useful Utensils
How are we lads, haven't posted anything for years and that was when i was a complete spastic and made daily posts about "which pickups should i get for christmas" and shit ahah.

Anyway, Looking to spend something between $400-$600 on a new amp, looking at the Spider IV 75 or 120.

I play a lot of Alternative like the Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys and Muse. So naturally I need to easily change from crunchy blues tones to full on fuzz A LOT.

get a small tube amp ( Blues Junior etc. with a fuzz pedal and a distortion pedal.
That peavey classic thing looks aight

about 830 tho and out of my cheapass price range lmao
Vox V847 <3
Orange Pix Crush
Quote by reverb66
get a small tube amp ( Blues Junior etc. with a fuzz pedal and a distortion pedal.

I would bruz but too expensive for me :')
Vox V847 <3
Orange Pix Crush
A few questions. What are your needs? You play a lot of (insert whatever) and that is good to know. But are you just a bedroom player? Do you play in a band and gig? Do you gig frequently or infrequently?

If you are just looking for a flexible amp to piddle away on in your bedroom. Go for the Line 6 spider amp. At the end of the day, you're the only one who will have to listen to it anyway. Same thing goes for the Mustang and Vypyr amps. Which is better or worse makes no difference if you just plan on grunting chords out behind closed doors. You could also get a pod and use headphones. Whatever floats your boat.

If you are planning on gigging, invest in something higher end. You'll be happier, and your band mates will like you more. Not because the amp is more expensive, but because your amp isn't making the rest of them sound like they suck. Invest in something that can handle the bumps of the road. Save your money. No need to just buy an amp at "x" budget because you're in a hurry to get an amp. Hold out for a bit and buy something higher end. And yes, if you like Line 6 stuff, they have higher end models than the Spider 4 series.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Roland Cube, Yamaha, Fender etc. all make great low end digital amps. Find the one you like the most - they are all in the same ballpark.
Two things.

Firstly, if you like what the Spider sounds like then buy it.

Secondly, given that you are looking at Spiders one other suggestion is a Vypyr. IMO the Vypyr is a much better sounding amp but the only thing that actually matters is what you think.
The Spyder and the Mustangs are the most successful amps on the market today because they offer a pretty decent combination of sounds and effects coupled to a low price tag. A couple of years ago, Line 6 quietly became the largest manufacturer of amps, with a market share of around 38%, and with over a million Spiders sold. They remain the best-selling amp at each of their respective levels. Fender launched the Mustangs to compete with them, and they've done extremely well.

In an Internet forum, they'll get trashed a bit because they're going to be the amp that everyone "moves up" from when they see themselves getting better. Sort of like the AT&T commercial where Lily admits she does Bedazzling and then gets embarrassed by it ("You admit that?").

On MyLesPaul there's an inordinate preference for Phaez amps (whaddya mean you've never heard of them) and a loud and vocal (but relatively small) group will suggest them every time a "what amp?" question comes up. Here the 6505 reigns supreme, with a few people championing Randalls.

Bring bags of salt with you when you ask these questions <G>.
I agree with that to an extent but honestly it's more that there are better amps for the money. If people trashed them because it's what they had first then ALL starter amps would get trashed.

The Spider isn't bad, you can just do better for the money. But if you prefer the Spider to everything else then who cares.
No hate here for Spyders or Line 6 in general. When I was in high school getting gear on a landscaping job budget, it worked perfectly for me. I still have the Behringer bass combo I got around the same time, which I still use for recording today (10+ years later) no shame.

After owning one myself, I'd say by all means, get something else, even the cheapest clean combo (Roland Cube, Vypyr, Mustang, small Yamaha amp) and a cheap fuzz pedal (look into companies like Joyo, Modtone (scroll down, trust me), and Mooer) and go with it that way. Same for a crunch sound, look into a super cheap pedal. They're out there, do some research on places like Reverb.com and eBay and see what you can find.

Overall, my biggest issue with the Spyder was the lack of flexibility. The tone controls are sub-par, and you end up with tones that sound very flat. Even the cheapest $20 pedal will be way better than that.

Just my opinions, no hate for Line 6 here.
Quote by Useful Utensils

i don't really think the spider is the best amp for those artists.

if you were into dimebag then maybe.

there's tons of great amps in your price range that excel at the tones you want, much more so than a spider.

Peavey classic 30 or 50, Traynor YCV50 or YCV40, Crate Vintage Club 30 watt, blues jr and some pedals, even a Hot Rod Deluxe with the right mods/pedals would do well.

certainly better than the spider.

that's honesty, dewya feel it?
Most of your tone will come from pedals anyway. If you're going for a Spider, see if you can't get the Spider Valve. More power, and is actually gig worthy.
Spyders sound great at low volume but I found that with mine once it hit about 60% volume it didn't matter how much you cranked it the thing was not going any louder, my 100 watt head had trouble keeping up with my buddies 40 watt tube combo, though that might have been in part cause of the crappy speakers I was using . Anyway go with a small spyder for practice but get a nice tube amp if your going to be playing in a band, gigging etc. Also for fuzz get a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz you will never regret it.
Im liking some of these replies aha. A lot more open-minded tbh. Cheers guys ill make sure to look into the other competing amps.

I'm a ****ing shit guitarist and the only gig I've ever played are school talent shows so I don't think this decision will haunt me too much lmao
Vox V847 <3
Orange Pix Crush
Quote by Useful Utensils
Im liking some of these replies aha. A lot more open-minded tbh. Cheers guys ill make sure to look into the other competing amps.

I'm a ****ing shit guitarist and the only gig I've ever played are school talent shows so I don't think this decision will haunt me too much lmao

seems like you're the one that needs an open mind. you asked for opinions and then got on people that didn't confirm your thoughts. being a "shit" guitarist doesn't mean you should have crappy tone. who knows with better gear you may discover you aren't so bad after all.
I'll employ a great saying of my country now.

Yeah nah mate.
Vox V847 <3
Orange Pix Crush
I own a Spider III, and a buddy of mine plays through a Spider IV. I personally dislike the Spider III a lot because it sounds very fake, and the range of sounds is lacking. The Spider IV is a little bit better, but still doesn't have a very versatile range of sounds. For versatile, look at a used POD 2.0 or pocket POD if it fits your tonal style. It even has the amps of the Spider IV built in as some of the amp models.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
Just one perspective...
I gig a lot and often use an amp in the backline if I am changing venues quickly. There are a lot of very useful amps but I would choose almost anything over a Spider if given a choice. It just hurts my ears to play thru it.

They do offer a lot of different sounds so it's may be ok as a first bedroom beginner amp. There are a lot of better first bedroom beginner amps IMO though.

Examples:
Roland Cube series
Fender Mustang
Peavy Vypyr
Fender Super Champ X2
Laney Cub
Vox Valvetronix

Go play through some amps and really spend an afternoon letting the guitar tones ring out. See if you agree. If a Line 6 Spider still sounds like the cat's meow to you, buy it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's like this thread wasn't posted to GG&A on purpose.

A Spider would be reasonable for a beginner with a sub $100 budget. But after that, there are much better options. And at $600, you can get some fairly decent equipment.

I'd recommend something like a Jet City, 20w. Not sure what happened, but one of their combos was $299 recently. They are still buy-able under your budget. Add a fuzz pedal and you're set. c:
Quote by Will Lane
It's like this thread wasn't posted to GG&A on purpose.

LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For those bands you listed, the Mustang 3 and 4 will sound better. I have a 3 and it can get those sounds pretty good. The Spyder's, to me, sound cheap and sound like a toy.
for the money, you can do wayyyyy better than a spider.

if you want modeling, look into the peavey vypyr tube 60 or 120. or even a spider valve (i wan't a huge fan, but you might be).

here is what i would do. buy a line 6 POD 500 and get a powered wedge or a set of cheap recording monitors (KRK rockitt are pretty cheap and not too bad). you will have a shit ton of presets, you get DEEP parameter adjustment. and it sounds good.

also if you have it, and two years down the road you want to gig. you can plug the pod right into the mixer and you are good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I play similar sort of music. I have a vox ac15c1 (tube amp) which covers all the blusey and indie rock tones perfectly. I'd recommend getting the ac15c1 and a big muff fuzz pedal and you'd be sorted .
Fender Baja Telecaster
Gretsch G5422tdc
Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Random3

The Spider isn't bad, you can just do better for the money. But if you prefer the Spider to everything else then who cares.

I agree also I started with a spider 30w and I actually liked it more compared to other amps people recommend on here a lot ( not including the mustangs and vypyrs I haven't tried them so I can't speak for them) if spiders suck so bad then they wouldn't sell as many of them as they do. Line 6 in general makes decent product maybe not for the professional but for all us guys and gals who just jam out in our house or with friends line 6 is great. Spider, the newer DT series, pod, m9-m13 pedals they're all not as bad as people say
Quote by USMC_0352_Vet
I agree also I started with a spider 30w and I actually liked it more compared to other amps people recommend on here a lot ( not including the mustangs and vypyrs I haven't tried them so I can't speak for them) if spiders suck so bad then they wouldn't sell as many of them as they do. Line 6 in general makes decent product maybe not for the professional but for all us guys and gals who just jam out in our house or with friends line 6 is great. Spider, the newer DT series, pod, m9-m13 pedals they're all not as bad as people say

spiders are pretty much shit. you seem a tad off base about line6 though. i don't think very many people would tell you that a DT, POD, or M-series are bad. in fact IMO they are excellent. however, the spider doesn't follow that trend.

if they suck so bad, why do they sell them? because they appeal to novices and beginners that get them shoved down their throat at GC. i think at one point despellman said they were the best selling amps by sales as we speak.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by monwobobbo
my australian filter must be off today. the Spyder isn't the most versatile cheap amp. you asked i'm sayin. ye feel

as for being a tube snob you will note that i didn't say get a tube amp.

still thinking troll

Quote by USMC_0352_Vet

You do know that popularity isn't an indicator of...anything except popularity...right?

They sell a lot of them because they are at the right price point for people who don't know any better. Awesome marketing, garbage product.

Not all L6 products get bashed here, but the Spider series has earned it. (Spider Valve excepted)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
please no. dont do this. if you google "should i buy a spider" im sure there is as much as you need to read. or search this site.

DONT. DO. IT. much better options.

almost anything you google is a better option. peavey. is a hard to argue with solution.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Page 1 of 2