Me and my friends have recently started a Nu Metal band and we've been asked to write a riff/song in Nu Metal style and I've been on youtube and listened to loads of Nu Metal and I've watched nu metal improvised riffs but I've got some questions...

1) What tuning should I be in?
2) Is drop C okay?
3) Should it be fast or slow?
4) Most riffs on YouTube are complex does it really have to be complex?

Thanks

(I don't know if I'm in the right place but yeah)
The best tip is not to.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Most nu metal bands are either in drop tunings or lower standard tunings - don't try to force songwriting to be what you want, it should hopefully come naturally.

And I don't know what you're listening to that's complex most of the nu metal I know is simple with a great groove
Last edited by jhyby at May 28, 2015,
Quote by smittyanthrax

I don't see how that is funny.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
You know what music you like and you know the artists you like. I'd recommend looking up tabs for those bands. There is absolutely no wrong choice when it comes to music. Do what you want!!!
My input would be the following:
1) Drop D, Drop C, Standard, anything... Stick to the tuning of the bands you like.
2) Hell yes Drop C is okay!
3) How do you feel when you listen to Nu Metal? Are you pumped from fast riffs, massive breakdowns, doomy slow riffs???
4) I can honestly say that what the riff looks like shouldn't matter. Does it sound good? Complex riffs are nice, but if you're throwing your hands all around and it doesn't sound good then you're doing it wrong.

What level of experience do you have?
If you are having trouble playing "complex riffs", or any riff for that matter, I highly recommend you look up some tutorials. Basically you need to slow the riff down. Learn parts of it at a time until you are comfortably playing that part. Then learn the next part. Once you have all the parts down try to learn them together. Start SLOW, then build up speed. I'll tell you that you won't be able to achieve "complex riffs" unless you practice properly.

When you do get that riff down it is a great feeling, but be patient trying to get there.
In my experience, the less complex songs are that way to make room for the vocals, I.e. Korn, P.O.D., Old Deftones
you are actually following too many guidelines, tune however you want write however you want. Creativitiy sufferes when you try to do a style just for the sake of it. Start it out numetal and go with the flow
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
It's all about using your guitar as a percussive instrument rather than for melody. Any melodic hooks should be via electronics and the vocalist only. No solos. And remember random rap incursions (to replace solos).
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by theogonia777
I don't see how that is funny.

Probably because the only time nu-metal is good is for nostalgia's sake. I'll admit I am now 27 and will occasionally rock some Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, KoRn, etc because that is what I grew up listening to....but if a band these days would try to sound like that it would just be wrong.

Also to the OP....I don't understand....you and your friends started a Nu-Metal band but you are here basically asking what nu-metal is? If you don't know how to write nu-metal then you obviously don't really know what it is so why are you forming a band based around it? Makes no sense
Last edited by anthsband at May 28, 2015,
ohjesus

All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I don't see how that is funny.[/QUOTEProbably because the only time nu-metal is good is for nostalgia's sake. I'll admit I am now 27 and will occasionally rock some Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, KoRn, etc because that is what I grew up listening to....but if a band these days would try to sound like that it would just be wrong.

Basically what he said.That's why I found it funny.Its just not relevant anymore.
Quote by aaronfield6
Thanks guys for all the constructive answers you have really helped

You're welcome!
Quote by aaronfield6
Thanks guys for all the constructive answers you have really helped

They've only helped if you took the advice from the first post, the thread should have been closed at that point.