Hi guys finally i bought an electric guitar. Its an esp ltd ec256, and its my first guitar. Its really a nice looking guitar and is solidly built. But i have some issues with it. Please help me to solve them. The issues are :-

1- First of all i am a total beginner and would like to know what should be the action height. The guitar has an action height of 4mm. Is the action height fine or do i need to change anything.

2- Also the colour of my rosewood fretboard is fading. Dont know what could be the reason.

3- Lately i ve been also learning to do vibratos but this has also raised a new problem. Due to this i am noticing scrathes on my fretwire which feels rough. Is it normal to have scrathes on the fretwire?
1. Action height is personal preference. Where are you measuring the 4mm? Do you feel like you're having to do to much work with your fingers?

2. Perhaps it was treated with something and now it's coming off, not sure. It wouldn't hurt to clean and treat it with some lemon oil next time you change strings.

3. Yes, frets will get scratched by the wound strings.
Quote by dthmtl3
1. Action height is personal preference. Where are you measuring the 4mm? Do you feel like you're having to do to much work with your fingers?

2. Perhaps it was treated with something and now it's coming off, not sure. It wouldn't hurt to clean and treat it with some lemon oil next time you change strings.

3. Yes, frets will get scratched by the wound strings.

Its 4mm on the 12 fret. The playability of the guitar is pretty good.

Will surely apply some lemon oil.

Is there a way to get rid of the scrathes or do i have to live with it?
Quote by cyruseternity
Its 4mm on the 12 fret. The playability of the guitar is pretty good.

Will surely apply some lemon oil.

Is there a way to get rid of the scrathes or do i have to live with it?

I guess you can try and polish it every time after playing. But no one does that. You'll forget about it soon. Keep playing and get the scratches covered by more scratches!
Quote by cyruseternity
Is it normal to have scrathes on the fretwire?

If you rub two pieces of metal together scratches are inevitable. Eventually they even out and you won’t see them.
Lighten your touch. If you're cranking down so hard with your fretting hand that you're putting divots in the frets, you're probably Gorilla Gripping the fretboard. You only need to press the string down enough to touch the fret. You do NOT need to have the string touch the wood.

Check your case -- IT may actually be the culprit in putting scratches into the frets. If it's putting pressure on the strings, consider putting a piece of cardboard or plastic between the strings and the frets when you store the guitar. ESPs (and sometimes LTDs) ship with that piece of plastic in place for exactly this reason.
don't use actual lemon oil on your fretboard - it's acidic and it will soften the glue. lemon oil furniture polish often has other things that may not be good for your guitar. and most guitar polishes that say lemon on them have a very minimal amount of lemon oil.

lack of humidity where you keep your guitar could be drying out the fretboard, and so could your own skin chemistry if you have acidic hands. there could even be products you use on your hands that cause the discoloring. use a fretboard specific product to oil your fretboard.

and yes, it's normal for frets to be scratched. you can minimize this by using harder frets or softer or flatter strings, but these can change your tone. or you can just figure, as jpnyc says, that scratches are inevitable. they are, to some degree, no matter what. learning to play lighter could help, but metal on metal does rub no matter what.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I would also take it to a local guitar repair place and have a professional setup done on it. They will check string height and file or sand any rough fret wires to help prevent anything from happening. It's totally worth the roughly $40 it cost for a setup.