Hey guys, I've been pretty keen to paint my jazz master for a while now have been reading up on it tonight. There seems to be some conflict over drying times.

I have a gig in 27 days but I won't need it then, it's only a 35 minute set and I can get through with other gats. I will need it ready 8 days after that, so about 35 days.

Say I started tomorrow, would this give me enough time for it be sanded, painted e.g. e.g. and then dry, and put it all back together before the gig? Theres a couple photographers going so would like to have a shiny new paint job on my offset.

Thanks
If you're using a nitrocellulose lacquer, plan on a pretty long drying period.
If you're using a polyester/polyurethane paint, it'll be cured a lot sooner.

Photographers won't care what your guitar looks like (worst case, they have Photoshop!), and if you keep it moving, they're not going to get a clear crisp shot of it (unless they're using flash) <G>.

Other options besides painting conventionally:

1. Transit Vinyl. These will usually go under the name Axe-Wraps, etc., when applied to a guitar body. You can make your guitar look like almost anything (including a new shiny jazzmaster) by simply applying a $35 hunk of transit vinyl. You can print almost anything on it (including a fancy maple top or an EVH "tape" setup or whatever), apply it in an afternoon, put your pickups back on and be ready to play that evening. It'll actually last for years, but when you're ready to take it off, you just peel. Your underlying paint will be just fine.

2. Plasti-Dip. This is the same company that used to make that plastic dip stuff for tool handles. It's a rubberized-style paint that can be sprayed on just like car paint, complete with graphics, bursts and all that. It dries quickly and you'll want to build up at least four coats of the stuff, and perhaps even more. It can be clear-coated, pearlized, the whole shot, and it will look exactly as if the guitar was painted conventionally. When you're tired of it, you can peel the whole thing off and your underlying original paint will be exactly the same as when the stuff went on (but it will have been protected the whole time).

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

https://www.dipyourcar.com/PlastiDip-Spray-cat/
http://www.plastidip.com/
Really depends on what kind of finish you want?
How much experience you have?
How much actual time in those 35 days? An hour a day, 2 hours, 6 hours?
Power sanders available or handsanding?
Agreed with highgear, I refinished a guitar in a week and handed it back to the guy, only because I knew he would leave it out for a while before gigging or getting heavy with it. How much free time do you have?
Cheers for all the replies, I do know the photographers won't care about the guitar, but a big gig is enough motivation for me to do something I've thought about for a while.

That Vinyl wrap looks pretty nice, but If you think thats enough time for it to be used at a gig I'd rather give it a paint.

I'm handy enough, and a buddy of mine wants to help as a pet project too, but no experience with anything quite like this. I have quite a few power sanders about due to renovating a house for the last year. My regular day would allow a lot of time to work on the guitar. I'd say 2 on a bad day, and up to 8 on a good day if I focus on it.

Allowing for trial and error, but with a fair few hours and two sets of hands, do you think 7-10 days is reasonable. Then drying.

Also when do you reassemble the guitar?
Don't reassemble until it's cured. The only clear I'm familiar with and recommend is Dupli-Color. It's usually cured in 7-10 days, depending on temperature and humidity. You low humidity and mid 60s Fahrenheit.

If you're wanting to paint I'd say you could tear down and strip it in a day. skim it in wood filler, finish sand , wash the next. Let it dry a day. Prime let it cure 24 hours, wet sand , wash, let it dry a day. Color coat. Let that dry 7 days. Wet sand, wash dry a day, clear coat let it dry 7 days. Wet sand, wash, dry, buff. Assemble.

So theoretically what, 26 days if you work diligently.
Quote by mastaphoo
Agreed with highgear, I refinished a guitar in a week and handed it back to the guy, only because I knew he would leave it out for a while before gigging or getting heavy with it. How much free time do you have?

Did it hold up? Just curious because I've had a few items I've tried to rush on and I get gas bubbles between the paint and clear a few months down the road.
Duplicolor (acrylic lacquer) is magical and so easy to use. I painted a guitar in one day and played it the following evening.

The Telecaster neck (not in pic) was installed the following evening before the show.
Quote by Ippon
Duplicolor (acrylic lacquer) is magical and so easy to use. I painted a guitar in one day and played it the following evening.

The Telecaster neck (not in pic) was installed the following evening before the show.

man that looks awesome

I to have refinished a guitar in 24hrs.....as long as you don't push your finger down on one spot for a couple of minutes it should be fine