Hi

I just want to know, that any of you use an ear plugs(guitarists)?
I have a 6505 with 2x12 cab, and I won't to hurt my ears. My room isn't big, so maybe that is the problem. I downloaded some android app, it's called sound meter, I don't know how much is trustworthy, but it show 80-90 db. I read that at 90 db is already harmful.
I never use earplugs but I sometimes use headphones, only when playing with drums.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
jams yes
attending concert yes
doing concerts no

we tend to have a pretty low stage volume so my ears aren't ringing the day after a gig
Okay, I play home also loud, becouse the 6505 can't be quiet . At 0,5 volume is already loud.
I wear them when drumming for sure. Usually if I am playing with a drummer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
No
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If I'm just noodling around than no but practicing on something louder than 3 on the Laney's master volume I'm plugging my ears. Got some nice acoustic filters.

Also wear them to band practice and concerts.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
when i was young and doing the band thing - no

practice at home - no

concerts- sometimes

playing in band now- yes
Concerts, absolutely.

Practice, never- I keep the volume low.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It depends. I usually don’t wear them at home, but I recently picked up distortion pedal with an internal power amp that pushes the amp so hard I can’t use it without earplugs. With classic rock levels of gain it puts me at 90db and rapidly goes past 100db. Sadly it sends the preamp of my five-watt amp into meltdown so I have to use it that loud.

I usually take a pair to shows in case the band are too stupid/amateurish to play at reasonable levels. When I forget them I get a pair from a bartender.
Quote by jpnyc
It depends. I usually don’t wear them at home, but I recently picked up distortion pedal with an internal power amp that pushes the amp so hard I can’t use it without earplugs. With classic rock levels of gain it puts me at 90db and rapidly goes past 100db. Sadly it sends the preamp of my five-watt amp into meltdown so I have to use it that loud.

I usually take a pair to shows in case the band are too stupid/amateurish to play at reasonable levels. When I forget them I get a pair from a bartender.

i own a lot of big amps, and a handful or two of OD's, and none make the difference between no ear plugs and ear plugs.

what pedal are you talking about?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what pedal are you talking about?

It’s a Monstro Matamp pedal. This pedal has FET power amp (similar to the DAM Sonic Titan so it can simulate the fuzzy sound of a big amp played at crazy volumes. In a nutshell it lets me get Matt Pike’s Dopesmoker tone at 95db instead of 130db. To put it in perspective, with the boost off this pedal has no trouble boosting my volume by more than twice what a Big Muff can. I don’t ever turn the boost on—my five-bedroom house just isn’t that big.
Quote by diabolical
Depends who you play with. Our last drummer was such a caveman that he was even amplifying himself, brought a whole PA system to mic his kicks through it...so I had to.

My drummer does this...and his DW is quite the loudest kit I've heard...and then he mics it.

I injured my ears a few years ago shooting a 9mm and a 357 mag (with my drummer interestingly). I was deaf for about a month and took steroids and got a lot of my hearing back fortunately. I don't have a ringing but more of a constant noise. Before then after like a jam or something and my ears were ringing I didn't think a thing about it...now I always wear earplugs at the first moment I think I need them. I've been jamming, gigging, and going to shows pretty frequently here the past couple of years and I always have earplugs and my hearing hasn't been harmed again which is good. SAVE YOUR HEARING!!!
No, I'm admittedly a stupid ****. I'm probably going to get tinnitus for it, I already do have a mild bit of hearing loss - of course, being a chaotic madman with his ears 2 inches away from a Bugera 333XL through a Peavey 4X12 on 8 is the perfect recipe for hearing loss.

I no longer play in that band though, I tend to let the P.A. do a lot of the work these days. The band where I was playing at festival volumes in had a 800 Watt Markbass into 2 Orange Cabs turned up to 5 and our drummer had a John Bonham or Neil Pert level drum kit that too was loud.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I usually don't, but I have them with me just in case. I try to keep stage volumes low and when attending shows, I have them handy, but I don't often use them. Last time I remember using them was at Sunn 0))), which made sense. :")
I just downloaded an app for my phone that measures SPLs. With my 6505+ at "2" it reads 115 db. That's a bit louder than where I set it for practicing, but not a whole lot.

I think it's time for me to start wearing earplugs.

The problem for me is that most ear plugs make the tone sound terrible. I spent ~$25 on some musician's earplugs last year and it seems like they cut out all the lows and highs, leaving only honky mids. I really don't like the sound I get when using them.
No, sounds too weird to me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Practicing at home? No. While I sometimes turn the amp up its never in stupidly loud volumes, just above shouting loudly.

Concerts? Oh yeah. Not only I want to protect my hearing I cant hear properly when things get too loud. Something in my ear starts to rattle/distort and its quite uncomfortable feeling.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by KailM
The problem for me is that most ear plugs make the tone sound terrible. I spent ~$25 on some musician's earplugs last year and it seems like they cut out all the lows and highs, leaving only honky mids. I really don't like the sound I get when using them.

It might not sound good, but it’s better than tinnitus.

Also, the plugs sold to musicians usually only have a 10–15 db volume cut. That’s not especially effective if the music is 100+ db in the first place.
Quote by KailM
I just downloaded an app for my phone that measures SPLs. With my 6505+ at "2" it reads 115 db. That's a bit louder than where I set it for practicing, but not a whole lot.

I think it's time for me to start wearing earplugs.

You do have to shell out before ear plugs are actually good to wear. I wear mine for concerts and practices involving drums. They were 120 GBP custom moulded ones and they're pretty close to a flat response. I just notice a teeny loss of bass. You can barely feel them in though
When I was younger and playing in bands - I didn't. I should have though. No damage was done as far as I am aware, I think I hear just fine. My wife would disagree.

Just jamming in the room, no need for them. Even with slightly higher volumes, I don't use them. I just watch the line of fire, I tend to sit or stand out of the way of the speakers to limit direct impact. And I tend to limit the amount of time that I play at higher volumes.

When playing with a drummer - that is when you should use ear plugs. Not just due to the increased overall volume, but because the cymbals are what will trash your ears more than anything.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.