i am going to retube my rockerverb soon, and i am not sure what to throw in. i have a shit ton of JJ 12AX7'S and 12AT7's, i have a few mullard and tung sols.

there are 5 preamp tubes, a PI (12AX7), a fx loop (12AT7) and a reverb (12AT7). i don't think i am going to change the effects loop or the reverb (i am not using nor planning to use either.

so i am really concerned with V1-V4. i don't want it to get overly dark, but i don't want it overly bright either. going through the random tubes i have now isn't really practical, expecially since most of my tubes are JJ's and i only have one or two mullards and tung sols. i do have a bunch of EHX (though i don't like them).

what is in there now isn't labeled. the powertubes (6V6) are JJ and don't need replacing.

just thinking about the preamp at this time.

so what tubes would you recomend, and do you think it would be a good idea to put a 12AT7 in the PI slot?

i may try a 12AT7 in V1 and its quick so i will see how i like it. any expectations.

sorry for a long post.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It certainly cannot hurt to throw a 12AT7 in V1 and PI (phase inverter-last) slot.

Tell us what you think. If you have a good glove you can do this on the fly while the amp is on (unlike power tubes).

If the Rockerverb is like the Splawn then V1 is handling cleans and V2 is handling first input stage of both. I'd try the Tung Sol in V1, and possibly pick up a JAN 5751 type tube for either V2 or PI. Swap those around along with the other JJs and settle on what works best. If I were you - I'd start stocking up on NOS preamp tubes. You'll thank me later.

so while swapping preamp tubes, i can pull them out with the amp turned on???

if so, that is handy. where is the best place to check to see what preamp tubes do what.

i am pretty solid on the concepts of the low gain tubes in V1 and the PI. i will have to try it.

what NOS tubes would you recommend exactly. i know they can be great, but i am kind of compulsive that i want to be able to get that sound again if i like it. i am worried that i wouldn't be able to find decent replacements to get it back. i know it seems kind of stupid.

what would be the best way to check to see if my reverb pan is working?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I dropped a JJ12AT7 in both the PI and V1 and I like it quite a bit better. I didn't swap anything else though. Another time i will go through the others.

Thanks!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Sounds good.

Cathbard is the real tube expert around here not me.

NOS tubes to look for would include: GE, Philips, Telefunken, Siemens,
Raytheon, Sylvania, Mullard, RCA.

I picked up some JAN Philips 5751 (drop in replacement for 12AX7) from www.dougstubes.com
Those were only $35 each but that was some years ago.

Www.kcanostubes.com would be another good place to go.

Along with Craigslist and EBay.