Hi

I run a 6505 at home with 2x12 mesa, and it's a bit loud for me, especially in my working room, which is only 12m2. So I was thinking about ear plugs, but I think the volume control pedal will be the best chioce.
Volume control pedal in the fx loop can really help, or its will impact on tone, or only on lodness? Can you suggest me some volume control pedal? Oe it is better some EQ pedal? Boss GE 7 in the FX loop?
Last edited by venndi88 at May 29, 2015,
Foot controller but sometimes it doubles for a wah as well as volume hence why some have two pedals etc. It goes directly into a port in most of the better models and should be specific to that brand of amp. Check the manual.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Last edited by Deermonic at May 29, 2015,
Quote by venndi88
Hi

I run a 6505 at home with 2x12 mesa, and it's a bit loud for me, especially in my working room, which is only 12m2. So I was thinking about ear plugs, but I think the volume control pedal will be the best chioce.
Volume control pedal in the fx loop can really help, or its will impact on tone, or only on lodness? Can you suggest me some volume control pedal? Oe it is better some EQ pedal? Boss GE 7 in the FX loop?
Just turn the amp down.
Run the volume pedal in the loop. All the goodness of tone remains as you can run your preamp as hard as you like, but hits power amp at a lower volume. Simple. Ask Steve Vai, he knows his shit.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Get an MXR 10 band EQ pedal for the loop. It has -12db volume cut slider. That's what I use.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
An EQ pedal will work. One of these is cheaper than getting a volume pedal if you are just trying to lower the sensitivity of your volume control at low volume levels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Volume-Box-guitar-amp-effect-loop-audio-taper-master-volume-attenuator-/200925904844?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec81dffcc

Your amp has a minimum 47K load impedance on the FX send so you may want to ask the seller about making sure it has a 50K (100K+ would be better) or greater impedance pot. A high impedance volume pedal would be the correct choice if you go that route. Many amps perform better with a low Z pedal in the loop, but the specs for the 6505 point to a high Z (the same pedal as you would put in front of the amp).
Thanks!

If I pull out two power tubes, then will be half as loud? Can it damaged if I pull out two power tube?
Quote by jpnyc
That’s just a volume box. There are plenty of guys selling them on eBay.

True, but it is on par with or cheaper than most volume pedals or EQs used or new. Plus, he does ship it with 2 12" leads.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by venndi88
Thanks!

If I pull out two power tubes, then will be half as loud? Can it damaged if I pull out two power tube?

Instinctively I was going to say no, but I did a bit of Googling and it seems like you can.

This may help: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20713-ask-amp-man-removing-output-tubes-to-reduce-power
Quote by venndi88
Thanks!

Assuming that pulling two tubes halves the power, then the resulting reduction in loudness would only be about 20% or 3db.
Its interesting the footboard for that amp is quite basic and without a pedal.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!