Okay so I just bought an EMG 85 from a friend and I already had an 81 installed so I just switched the bridge positions. Now I need to put the 81 in the neck but I don't want to spend 40 dollars for new pots, jack, battery bus, etc because all of that is already set up. Do I have to buy that whole pack or is there a 1 pickup wiring pack?
Why do you want to put the EMG 81 in the neck position? I'm quite curious about that.

To answer your question, I've never seen wiring for just 1 EMG. Looked around the web and didn't found any. But someone else probably knows of a place to get it, so you should wait until someone else sees this thread.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 29, 2015,
Because I want to use it for solos and see how it performs in the neck since I typically use my neck pickup for melodic lead parts. Plus 85s sound better in the bridge in basswood. Like my LTD MH-1000 and Schecter Holt V are both mahogany I'm pretty sure so the wood darkens the pickups a bit. Plus the Schecter has an 89 so I haven't tried an 81 in the neck of that. After rambling for hours: I want to see how it is in basswood lol.
Quote by PiercedBand
Because I want to use it for solos and see how it performs in the neck since I typically use my neck pickup for melodic lead parts. Plus 85s sound better in the bridge in basswood. Like my LTD MH-1000 and Schecter Holt V are both mahogany I'm pretty sure so the wood darkens the pickups a bit. Plus the Schecter has an 89 so I haven't tried an 81 in the neck of that. After rambling for hours: I want to see how it is in basswood lol.

If you're playing with distortion, you won't notice much differences just because the wood is different. If you think it darkens a bit, then it's probably your eq settings or something else.

But if you play cleans, then yes, it may make some difference, but still, wood isn't the most important factor. And also, the 81 doesn't deals with cleans very well. The 85 is more well suited for that.

I think you are the first one who tells me that really. I know of some people who had EMG 81 in both bridge and neck positions and ended up switching out to an 85 in the neck.

But to each his own of course. I am not a fan of EMGs, I prefer passives, so since I don't like them, I may not be the best person to give you much more info about that.
Quote by DanyFS
Why do you want to put the EMG 81 in the neck position? I'm quite curious about that.

A lot of people put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. They sound better that way imho

For TS: do you just need a schem or do you need wires and such? what do you mean by one pickup, are you just adding another pup or is the guitar only one pup?
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at May 29, 2015,
I've even seen 85/60 combos. I think the 85 is as regular as the 81.

Any who I am talking about wiring it rather than a diagram. Like I said, I have already got everything hooked up except the neck pickup so I just need like one wire
What exactly do you need? You can buy a single quick connect wire in eBay. Search emg wiring and sort lowest price.

I understand you are swapping the bridge 81 with an 85. What was in the neck to begin with that you want to replace with the 81?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
^this is what I want to know, a passive or another active?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Ah just a stock Dean passive. It's got great cleans, nice bass and everything but I want to use the neck for leads and it's really muddy with distortion
Odd, I'd think it would sound very weird with the active setup... Well yeah just eBay that stuff, I'm sure you can get what you need
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by boblittle
A lot of people put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. They sound better that way imho

For TS: do you just need a schem or do you need wires and such? what do you mean by one pickup, are you just adding another pup or is the guitar only one pup?

i like an 81 in the neck more than in the bridge. i like the 60 in the neck most.

81's and 85's are both neat in the bridge, it depends on flavor.

i have a Gibosn SG with dual 81's, with just two off/on switches and it is just nasty.

i have a charvel with an 81 in the neck and an 85 in the bridge. i like it better that way.

it is stupid easy to go between different EMG's, they have the connect at the pickup, you can swap two in minutes and see what you like.e

IMO 85 and 60 (neck and bridge respectively) are the best EMG;s for my uses
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by PiercedBand
Ah just a stock Dean passive. It's got great cleans, nice bass and everything but I want to use the neck for leads and it's really muddy with distortion

Ok so currently you have an 85 in the bridge and a Dean passive in the neck then correct?

And this is working?

Who swapped the original bridge passive with the 81?

Actives require the stereo jack to engage the battery and different value pots.

You're options are to purchase each individual piece you need or to buy a kit.

If you go the a la carte route take an inventory of everything you have installed in the guitar and compare that to a kit.

Have you opened up the cavity and made sure that whoever installed the 81 used the EMG wiring system or is everything soldered together?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by PiercedBand

That's weird, EMGs are supposed to have "clean" distortion. They are designed to prevent muddyness. Something must be wrong with the wiring, probably because you use passives with actives. Read the post above me.