I used to play just heavy stuff on my electric stuff but have recently joined a church band and recognize my setup schecter hellraiser and peavey 6505+ don't sound week doing much else besides metal. Im tempted to sell my Russian muff, delay, and wah, and od for a multi effect set since I'm playing a little bit of everything. I know im wasting my emgs and peavey with the effects board but I can always go back and get an overdrive. Opinions?
A good MFX unit can cover a lot of ground and do it pretty well, but I personally prefer discrete pedals, and only use my MFX gear for practice. My main reason is that if something goes wrong with pedals, you'd usually only lose a single part of your tonal arsenal, which is an inconvenience. But a malfunctioning MFX unit is a disaster- you could lose everything.

That's a worse case scenario, clearly. And depending on your budget and tonal needs, you might be able to afford a pair of identical MFX units to moot that issue.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by papathaddy
I used to play just heavy stuff on my electric stuff but have recently joined a church band and recognize my setup schecter hellraiser and peavey 6505+ don't sound week doing much else besides metal. Im tempted to sell my Russian muff, delay, and wah, and od for a multi effect set since I'm playing a little bit of everything. I know im wasting my emgs and peavey with the effects board but I can always go back and get an overdrive. Opinions?
I'd suggest a multi effects just for delays, reverbs, eq, etc. Keep all of your boxes. Muffs, wahs, and OD's have their place in worship music.

I use separate dirt boxes for my drive sound into a ValveKing, and a Zoom G3 in the loop plus a Wah and clean boost. You might like the G3. Worship music for a guitar involves a lot of delay and reverb, the G3 does that well. In front of the amp, I have an overdrive and a distortion pedal, you have an OD and the Muff.

The only thing you might want to change completely is the guitar. If you have active pups, they might be too strong of a signal and you'll drive your inputs too hard. I think the 6505 will work okay if you keep it clean.

If you want a multi-effects that does worship music by itself, POD HD500X. But really I don't think you need one, just a unit that can give you some delay and verb presets.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 29, 2015,
I'd get a POD(keep the pedals you have) and hook up to the PA. Or get yourself a Powered speaker and get straight through that.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
How about getting something like a POD HD500X or a Boss GE-10 and running it in 4 cable mode?

That will let you select either your 6505 pre-amp or one of the amp sims in the MFX. You can also change effects settings and order with each of your patches.

So you could have 1 preset that only adds delay to your mind crushing 6505 lead tone, another setting that has Fender Blackface emulation with a chorus, etc.

You could also just run the POD directly into the PA and leave the 6505 at home or use the direct method as a backup.

At least this is where I'd start. The older model HD500 (without the X) is pretty readily available and affordable used now ($250-$300).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I did that a few years ago, went to all line 6, had a POD HD500 and a Line 6 DT25 Amp. Great setup, but I was never thrilled with it. I ended up selling the line 6 stuff and went back to my Marshall amp, and stomp boxes. It's all preference.
Quote by Clbryant1981
I did that a few years ago, went to all line 6, had a POD HD500 and a Line 6 DT25 Amp. Great setup, but I was never thrilled with it. I ended up selling the line 6 stuff and went back to my Marshall amp, and stomp boxes. It's all preference.

You're right, Clbryant1981. It's all preference!

Papathaddy:

I really understand your search for something new or a bit more ' all-in-one.
I've actually done the same thing for about a year now.
I switched my stompboxes for a Boss GT-10 - that really helped me out and gave a more freedom, when playing.

First I started out with just hooking my GT-10 up to my amp's input and just using the effects, OD/DS, reverb, delay, chorus, etc, not the built-in amp and cabs. That worked well and gave some good sounds - but a little bit of knob-tweaking is required - but you'll quickly learn that!
After a while I tried running my GT-10 throught the Effects Loop Return on my amp, that allowing me to use the built-in preamps and cabs from the GT-10 and then By-passing my amps Preamp section. That worked really great and I got some very natural sounding tones!
Then, after some research, I wanted to try just connecting my GT-10 straight to the PA System. I tried it and it ended up really blowing my mind - also I like that I don't necessarily have to bring my amp all the time and having to mic it up, when not always having the time..

There's a lot of ways to go around this, but if you feel like trying out a MFX-unit - then go for it and see if it's something for you!

Good luck!
I get this same idea in my head every 5 years or so, then it turns out horribly

The last time I got the great idea to switch to a MFX was last year. I was smart enough (and had the cash) to buy a GT-100 from L&M BEFORE selling any of my pedals. They have the 1 month return policy, so I figured what the hell. I played with it for about 3 weeks, then came to the same realization I always do; The effects may sound pretty good, but its not the same as having dedicated pedals. So I wiped that puppy back to L&M, and grabbed myself 3 new stopmboxes

But to each his own. I'd suggest if at all possible, acquire the unit you want to buy before you sell all of your pedals, and wish you didn't.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at May 29, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
A good MFX unit can cover a lot of ground and do it pretty well, but I personally prefer discrete pedals, and only use my MFX gear for practice. My main reason is that if something goes wrong with pedals, you'd usually only lose a single part of your tonal arsenal, which is an inconvenience. But a malfunctioning MFX unit is a disaster- you could lose everything.

That's a worse case scenario, clearly. And depending on your budget and tonal needs, you might be able to afford a pair of identical MFX units to moot that issue.

That's what I've done; I have more than one Pod. A pair of used Pod HD500s will be around $500, and one of them can pretty much cover anything you're going to want to do with a worship band.

I've certainly got enough discreet pedals, but since I'm usually not buying Joyos, I've found that a couple of Wampers can come pretty close to the cost of a pair of used HD500s.

Danny, take a look at your pedalboard and do a quick calculation of how much it would cost you to get a duplicate of everything in your rig.

While you're at it, look at the multiple points of failure that you've got that could shut you down (including the power supplies, connectors, etc.cables, etc.). And if you've got a MIDI switching rig, things get *really* complicated.
Apparently I'm not the only one whose done this in the past and regretted it fairly soon after. Never again. That's just me though, you can do whatever you want but be warned.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Keep what you've got and just buy a Pod H500 to run into the PA for the church bs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
another vote for POD and keep your regular rig for no church playing.

+1, mfx for Jesus, pedalboard for Satan.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978

wish i said that
Danny, take a look at your pedalboard and do a quick calculation of how much it would cost you to get a duplicate of everything in your rig.

Oh, a few thousand, no doubt. More if I plugged ALL the damn things in!

And that is sort of an element in my Year of the Pedal: I'm making distinct boards for different genres, so I'm buying multiples of each kind of pedal- not necessarily duplicates- I want to use.

While you're at it, look at the multiple points of failure that you've got that could shut you down (including the power supplies, connectors, etc.cables, etc.).

I know all that. But it is about what KIND of failure you're willing to risk, and how easy it is to deal with. With a 10 pedal board, besides the pedals themselves, you have a couple dozen cables, the power supply the guitar, and the amp.

And, of course, the operator.

In contrast, a MFX pedal drops about 30+ failure points out of the equation. BUT- as stated before- if it fails, it is a disaster since you could lose everything. Which is why you buy a duplicate...which is still very affordable, compared to the pedals.

IME, though, the second major problem with MFX device is that each and every one is, in a way, like a standard pedal, in that each type has their own distinct sound. I've yet to find one I felt:

1) does all of its multiple effects equally well
2) mimics all the tones & options of a given kind of pedal
3) mimics the tones & options of the specific pedals I prefer within a given type

Quote by lucky1978

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 30, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Oh, a few thousand, no doubt. More if I plugged ALL the damn things in!

And that is sort of an element in my Year of the Pedal: I'm making distinct boards for different genres, so I'm buying multiples of each kind of pedal- not necessarily duplicates- I want to use.

I know all that. But it is about what KIND of failure you're willing to risk, and how easy it is to deal with. With a 10 pedal board, besides the pedals themselves, you have a couple dozen cables, the power supply the guitar, and the amp.

And, of course, the operator.

In contrast, a MFX pedal drops about 30+ failure points out of the equation. BUT- as stated before- if it fails, it is a disaster since you could lose everything. Which is why you buy a duplicate...which is still very affordable, compared to the pedals.

IME, though, the second major problem with MFX device is that each and every one is, in a way, like a standard pedal, in that each type has their own distinct sound. I've yet to find one I felt:

1) does all of its multiple effects equally well
2) mimics all the tones & options of a given kind of pedal
3) mimics the tones & options of the specific pedals I prefer within a given type

danny, what you need is a new amp

i don't use many pedals, but i do have different boards for different amps as well. mainly OD's, delay's and a wah or a modulation pedal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If my pedalboard goes, I just plug straight into the amp. If the amp blows, I plug the mfx into the desk. However, these days, I just use a small analog pedalboard rather than the GT-100 - but I do have a Bad Monkey in the bottom of my gig bag, it can drive a desk good enough to finish the gig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup

danny, what you need is a new amp

He hunts me like I am Ahab's white whale!!!
(Not that he's wrong...)

Quote by lucky1978
Apparently I'm not the only one whose done this in the past and regretted it fairly soon after. Never again. That's just me though, you can do whatever you want but be warned.

I have two and a half flappy-top bins packed tightly with FX pedals acquired since the Spanish Inquisition.

I got to a point where I realized that most audiences really didn't care. *I *did, but they didn't know the difference.

I don't NOT use pedals any more, but the MFX gizmos certainly make my life easier, lighter weight and cheaper where the really cool stuff isn't warranted.
Quote by Cathbard
If my pedalboard goes, I just plug straight into the amp. If the amp blows, I plug the mfx into the desk. However, these days, I just use a small analog pedalboard rather than the GT-100 - but I do have a Bad Monkey in the bottom of my gig bag, it can drive a desk good enough to finish the gig.

If Cathbard blows, they cable-tie him to a mike stand, tilt his head back as if he's "feeling it" and tie his picking arm to the kick pedal (pulleys). Unless they have a spare Bad Junkie in one of their gig bags.
Quote by dspellman
I have two and a half flappy-top bins packed tightly with FX pedals acquired since the Spanish Inquisition.

I got to a point where I realized that most audiences really didn't care. *I *did, but they didn't know the difference.

I don't NOT use pedals any more, but the MFX gizmos certainly make my life easier, lighter weight and cheaper where the really cool stuff isn't warranted.

Same here...too bad it too me 15+ years of gigging to realize it. I betcha if I had done everything with just multifx noone would have noticed like another local guy did it.

Small nasty Digitech Multifx into Behringer power amp and speakers, he did about 10+ years with it, no one complained he sounded bad. Funny thing is he was using custom shop Jackson guitars at around $4k each
Last edited by diabolical at May 30, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
I got to a point where I realized that most audiences really didn't care
Right. Cathbard's Bad Monkey for example. Play well through the most basic gear and punters won't know or care that your rig's not packing germanium trannies and gold pins everywhere. The converse also applies.

+1 for the Pod HD500 straight to PA in this instance.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by dspellman

WTF next thing you'll be telling us is that you could play an Epiphone LP into a Valveking with a cheap mfx and the audience would be fine with it

the advertising execs have a nice man with an armless jacket just for you in the back room.
What I've noticed is that other musos pick what's wrong, the audience just know "shit's not right" but they'll rarely know why. If you play well enough, you can get away with anything - but that's what you're doing, getting away with it. I prefer to have all my ducks in a row from the get go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i don't use a ton of pedals, have no use for a MFX unit. for me it doesn't matter if i have to hit a few more switches. i like sounding good. it depends on the audience and where, but i think more about how you sound than you think. however i know that they couldn't tell the difference between a pod, or standalone pedals.

however i like to know that MY tone is exactly how i want it. i want to feel good about how i sound. if i like how i sound, i play better.

i may be different than you, but that is just me .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Cathbard
What I've noticed is that other musos pick what's wrong, the audience just know "shit's not right" but they'll rarely know why. If you play well enough, you can get away with anything - but that's what you're doing, getting away with it. I prefer to have all my ducks in a row from the get go.

You're right, but the guy I was referring to - noone picked out on it.

@Thrashed - tapped and danced on effects for quite some time, honestly it didn't make a difference live, just that my switching was hell when having to go from one sound to another.
Quote by diabolical
You're right, but the guy I was referring to - noone picked out on it.

@Thrashed - tapped and danced on effects for quite some time, honestly it didn't make a difference live, just that my switching was hell when having to go from one sound to another.

i don't use a ton of pedals (as i said). usually a wah, two OD's, a microvibe, and a delay. i have no problems. i don't think a POD is going go give me better OD tones than my zendrive and timmy. nor have the nice long sweep of my fulltone clyde. it could be close, but not what i want. i can carry five pedals and a power supply to a gig.

YMMV. however, i probably do have less of a pedal board in use than most. i have different pedal boards for different amps/rigs, but i sti;l keep it simple.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by diabolical
...tapped and danced on effects for quite some time, honestly it didn't make a difference live, just that my switching was hell when having to go from one sound to another.

I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Martin-OCTA-SWITCH-MK-II-8-channel-Pedal-Switcher-OctaSwitch-Used/111643944644?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D17e1456c6afa4796b624c4c07bac3f97%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D231193171363&rt=nc

@Danny - the CM Octa is really sweet, not in my genre though at that gig.
I go back and forth depending on the requirements. Did a few orchestra gigs with small pedalboard into Orange Tiny Terror, tuner, chorus, two ODs and a delay pedal.

For my band thing since I am also the vocalist, I need quick switching so I basically used midi switchable analog preamp (Sansamp PSA-1) and controller it via a Boss GT-10 in 4 cable method. Signal went into either JCM900 fx return or Peavey 50/50 power tube amp. That way all my patches were saved before I got to the gig and had to run just a few cables which I had all color coded.

Pedalboard was almost as easy but the switching wasn't and the opportunity to knock something off was greater than the other setup.

I have a Voodoolab midi switcher and rack patch bay, which I might take on the road next as I am growing a bit tired of multifx and have a few new gizmos I want to play through. Just the fact that I'll have to sit down and program and run all these patch cables makes me reach back for the multifx.
A multi effects unit works really well for church stuff.

I usually use just my RP1000 for church but I've also used my full rig before

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't use a ton of pedals (as i said). usually a wah, two OD's, a microvibe, and a delay. i have no problems. i don't think a POD is going go give me better OD tones than my zendrive and timmy. nor have the nice long sweep of my fulltone clyde. it could be close, but not what i want. i can carry five pedals and a power supply to a gig.

YMMV. however, i probably do have less of a pedal board in use than most. i have different pedal boards for different amps/rigs, but i sti;l keep it simple.

i'm with you on this. 4 pedals is all i use (wha, overdrive, delay and phaser) and i only use most of them when i really need to. never wanted to do the pedal dance with a 7 foot pedal board or have 20 pedals all clumped together to the point where i had to pray i hit the right one or didn't hit 2 others while turning on the one i want. i also of course have a footswitch for channel changing which gets a fair amount of use.

i do have a seperate board for hendrix type stuff but that is only 3 pedals (fuzz, wha and phaser) i'm pretty old school when it comes to playing live. worrying about nailing the little things on the record just isn't me. most fo the guys i looked up to in the late 60s into the 70s had a couple of pedals and just went for it live. didn't sound just like the record but usually the excitement of the playing more than made up for that.