Hey everyone,

I'm sure you get tired of new guys asking what kind of amp head to get, but here I am. I mostly favor metal like Parkway Drive, but I also like bands like Manchester Orchestra who aren't nearly as heavy or shred-oriented. I love the idea of a 6505 Plus, but I would greatly like to get the input of other more experienced and well-versed amp aficionados such as yourselves before I decide to pull the trigger on any head. I'd love to have the ability to play metal like Parkway, while still being able to play the crunchy tones of Manchester and others from they genre, ideally while staying within the <$1000 range (looking for used amps also). I've got an LP with EMG81/85 setup, and purchased an 4x12 Orange cab, so that's what I've already got to work with. Please help a poor, uninformed soul.
the boards exist for guys to ask ?s so no problem there.

sounds like a 6505 would be a good bet. used at the $1000 mark you may be able to find a few other options. you may also want to look at EVH amps as well.
sounds like you want a 6505.

some similar bands use different mesa dual/triple rectifiers as a contrast to the 6505+'s. the main advantage there is that IMO the mesas have better cleans.

see what you like.

what is your budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So to be clear, by saying 6505, are you both suggesting that I go with the 6505+ that I'd said I was interested in, or are you recommending the 6505?
If you like the 6505 series amps, then that is pretty much what you'll want to buy. Not much else out there aside from a Bugera clone is going to sound like a 6505.

Of course, with the budget you're working with, that does open the door for Mesa or even a used Framus Cobra if you look hard enough. You may even be able to find a used Orange amp in the 30 watt range. You could also mess with peoples heads a bit and look for a used Fender Prosonic - which can do metal in spades. Looks like a typical Fender, but breathes fire when pushed. You have a lot of options.

Tell us a bit more as to what your needs look like. Do you use a lot of pedals? Do you make use of the clean channel quite a bit? You told us the style of music that you like, which tells us what you like to play... But: do you play in a band - three piece or more? Is there another guitarist in the picture? What does his or her rig look like? Or are you primarily a bedroom guitar warrior? A lot of questions, but it helps us help you. Tell us some more.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by greene.tc789
So to be clear, by saying 6505, are you both suggesting that I go with the 6505+ that I'd said I was interested in, or are you recommending the 6505?

There are very slight differences between the two so it would depend on what you want. The general concensus is that the 6505 has slightly more balls while the 6505+ is tighter with better cleans. The differences are fairly minimal however. The 6505+ also has EQ on both channels whereas the 6505 has only one, small differences like that.

The standard pedals to go with a 6505 would be some kind of boost, like a Tube Screamer, and some kind of noise suppressor, like an NS2 or an ISP Decimator. You can of course run the amp without however it will be noticeably more controlled and less noisy without the pedals.
6505+
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
I havebt been in a band since high school (7 years (Jesus Christ, 7 years??)) so I guess im just a bedroom warrior hoping to fall into a heavy metal band while still maintaining my freedom (the option) to play other genres. I've really only given thought to the 6505+ (Between 6505+ and 6505) but I guess I'm not closed to the idea of the 6505. I've heard from a few sources that parkway drive mainly uses their clean channel (through 6505+) and just using lots of pedals. I have the Wylde pedal I run through for overdrive and I've looked at a few distortion pedals throughout the time I've played. Also, I've got a multitude of guitars ranging from Gibson LPs to ESPs, and I'm looking for an American Tele for the right price (after I purchase a head of course). Any other info I can give to help paint a clearer picture of myself, please just ask. I really appreciate the attention this post has received and your willingness to respond is great!
if you're thinking of clean channel then you might want to go elsewhere than a 6505. nobody buys them for their clean sounds and it seems like a waste to use them that way.

prioritize the sounds you want. if you want something more versatile then perhaps a Peavey JSX/XXX would be a better bet. those have 3 independent channels and can cover more ground that the 6505. thye don't do the br00tz as well though (add overdrive and you should be good).
If you would like an idea of what the clean channel on the regular 6505 can sound like check out the first track on my album in my sig.

If set up properly it can handle clean tones no problem, but I do agree that buying one purely for cleans would be a bit silly.
Seriously, look into a used Fender Prosonic. You'll have all the genre flexibility you could ever want. The Fender Supersonic is pretty good as well, but doesn't have quite as much gain as the Prosonic. You can totally do metal with it. And it is a great pedal amp with those awesome Fender cleans. I'll say it, and I'm sure someone will want to slay me for it - the Prosonic is very Mesa-ish. It has the different rectifier settings, class a or ab settings, and other niceties. Just a fantastic amp that didn't get the love it deserved when it first came out. They are a little harder to find, now since they stopped producing them in the early 00's, but if you find one, it's a great amp.

The other things is that with you being a bedroom guitar warrior for the time being, you're gunna want to be attentive to the whole "volume" thing. 6505 series amps like to be pushed. They sound okay at lower volumes, but they really don't start breathing until you turn them up a bit. If you can play loud at home, that isn't an issue then.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
i am not a huge fan of the prosonic or supersonic, but they aren't the best, nor worse. the cleans are great, but the gain is too fizzy and scorched/sizzley (i can't find the right word).

i would recommend them for anything like the gain channel is on a 6505/6505+.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
They do have that pronounced fizz, but it can be dialed out, and speaker/cab selection makes a huge difference. Most of the demos you find online are of the open back combo models, or guys twanging on a tele through them.

Pretty much any amp he buys is going to sound great through that Orange cab if he sets the eq right. The 6505 is a can of bees as well if you push the gain too high on it. But that same accusation gets thrown at a lot of amps, including the mesa rectifiers, or the infamous Blue Voodoo like I have. A lot of people complain about amps being too fizzy/sizzley because they treat them like an JCM 800 - they just crank them wide open.

Modern amps only need to go about midway on the gain and then boost with a pedal to tighten up the low end. EQ in the loop helps a lot as well. It's usually the high and presence knob that add fizz to the tone. Cut the highs back and boost the mids with an EQ pedal in the loop - happiness.

What speakers does the Orange cab have in it? I'm guessing vintage 30's? Mid heavy speaker, which will pump up a mid-heavy amp, or be a nice help to the more American style amps like Fender and Mesa which are more low mid or mid scooped in emphasis. 6505+ is a great rock amp. But, I wouldn't call it a great pedal platform though. It can do the job, but I'd be looking for something with a better clean channel if I wasn't intending to use the amp's own gain for distortion.
Quote by ThunderPunk
They do have that pronounced fizz, but it can be dialed out, and speaker/cab selection makes a huge difference. Most of the demos you find online are of the open back combo models, or guys twanging on a tele through them.

Pretty much any amp he buys is going to sound great through that Orange cab if he sets the eq right. The 6505 is a can of bees as well if you push the gain too high on it. But that same accusation gets thrown at a lot of amps, including the mesa rectifiers, or the infamous Blue Voodoo like I have. A lot of people complain about amps being too fizzy/sizzley because they treat them like an JCM 800 - they just crank them wide open.

Modern amps only need to go about midway on the gain and then boost with a pedal to tighten up the low end. EQ in the loop helps a lot as well. It's usually the high and presence knob that add fizz to the tone. Cut the highs back and boost the mids with an EQ pedal in the loop - happiness.

What speakers does the Orange cab have in it? I'm guessing vintage 30's? Mid heavy speaker, which will pump up a mid-heavy amp, or be a nice help to the more American style amps like Fender and Mesa which are more low mid or mid scooped in emphasis. 6505+ is a great rock amp. But, I wouldn't call it a great pedal platform though. It can do the job, but I'd be looking for something with a better clean channel if I wasn't intending to use the amp's own gain for distortion.

parkway drive is definitely not prosonic/supersonic tone. they are straight 6505+/recto tone. most orange cabs are V30. one of the thundererb cabs has K100s ,and one of the jim root cabs have generic orange speakers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Yes, my speaker has 4 V30s. I've done some looking and I'm not finding much by way of Framus or Splawn around my area (West Virginia, so no surprise there), but I'll keep looking because I'd love to hear how they sound in person. Unless I'm really getting wires crossed, aside from the framus and splawn, it seems like yall are really endorsing the 6505+ as long as Im not desperate for regular use of crystal clear cleans.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
parkway drive is definitely not prosonic/supersonic tone. they are straight 6505+/recto tone. most orange cabs are V30. one of the thundererb cabs has K100s ,and one of the jim root cabs have generic orange speakers.

Absolutely true, Fender amps aren't going to do what a 6505 can do. A lot of modern metal bands use 6505 amps, and if that is the tone the OP wants, then OP needs to get one. There isn't really a more reasonable substitute. The 6505 is probably the most popular metal amp at this point time. There are alternatives, but they tend to be more expensive than the Peavey. You can throw a rock and hit someone who has a 6505 and plays metal.

However, the OP stated that he also likes playing things along the lines of Manchester Orchestra. They use Fender amps. The 6505 isn't going to pull off that tone. The 6505 does have the crunch channel, and it sounds good - but it is more Marshall than Fender in tone.

The OP will either: need to buy both a 6505 and a Hot Rod Deville (best solution), or the OP can compromise and find a flexible middle of the road route (High Gain Fender). Would he rather have an amp that can do a number of things well or an amp that can do one thing perfectly? He will have to answer that himself.

Fortunately, I am at a point in my life where I can afford to have a variety of amps for different things!
A JSX would be much better for a middle ground for high gain and cleans. The prosonic is a decent amp, I was just saying that it is too much of a compromise for high gain tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The JSX is a good call but if you can up your budget a little the Mesa Roadster would set you up for a very long time. It covers from Fender cleans, classic rock, blues, and pretty much all of the metal subcategories Mesa style and does them all very well - it's like a Lonestar / Mark I / and Dual Rec all together in 4 channels with 3 modes each.

Check it out since you're willing to go $1000 already. Guitar center used can hook you up.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
+1 on the roadster.

at that price I would also look into a Peavey 5153 50 watt.

It is overbudget, but I really love my Fryette sig:x. Its one of the most flexible amps at used for $1100 maybe a tad more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If nothing else, all of these suggestions have really taught me A) how little I knew about amps and the variety in which they come, B) that I am horribly indecisive, and C) that this is going to definitely come down to me plug-and-playing about 10 different setups before I can finally decide. Since ThunderPunk mentioned a High Gain Fender, are there any specific high gain Fenders anyone favors? Though I'm still leaning toward the 6505+ for the first head I buy (hopefully the first of a few), I still like the idea of an amp that can do a number of things well over an amp that does one thing perfectly.

So torn. So terribly torn.
honestly i disagree with the high gain fender movement. you will get very nice cleans, but i really don't think that (the prosonic and duosonic) will give you the type of gain you are looking for. its not a terrible amp by any way, stretch, or form, i just don't think that is the gain thatwhat you want.

as far as the others go, see what you can demo and go from there. unless you are really lucky, most of the amps listed may not be near you (i didn't take note where you lived if you did say).

go and give what you can a shot!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by greene.tc789
If nothing else, all of these suggestions have really taught me A) how little I knew about amps and the variety in which they come, B) that I am horribly indecisive, and C) that this is going to definitely come down to me plug-and-playing about 10 different setups before I can finally decide. Since ThunderPunk mentioned a High Gain Fender, are there any specific high gain Fenders anyone favors? Though I'm still leaning toward the 6505+ for the first head I buy (hopefully the first of a few), I still like the idea of an amp that can do a number of things well over an amp that does one thing perfectly.

Well you're going to hear a bunch that the 6505/6505+ amps are one trick ponies. The new EVH 5153 are supposed to be more versatile in general.

My experience with the 5150 (same as a 6505) is that it can do 2 sounds well at a time and you have to work at it. On day one you will need a tubescreamer and a good EQ pedal (I use the MXR 10-Band) and probably an assortment of tubes. Many say you need a speaker change on day one as well (I ended up swapping the speakers).

So in my opinion you can get a great sound out of the Crunch "channel" with the gain up around 7 and the lead channel will still scream by putting in a 5751 in the Phase Inverter slot.

You can also coax some decent cleans out of the green channel by putting a 12DW7 in V2 and it won't affect the lead channel. Reverb and Delay help the clean setting.

I found that with the limited footswitch of the 5150 (the 6505+ is a bit different and I believe you have Crunch control which would help) you really had to work to get versatility out of the amp and then you were limited to choosing between only 2 at a time.

So just some quick math $400 for the 5150 combo, $75 for the MXR 10-Band, $30 for a Joyo Vintage Overdrive, $30 for a Joyo D-Seed Delay, $180 for the 2x V30 speakers, etc. . . It adds up quickly (and those are all used prices except the overdrive) and while the nickel and dime route spreads out the cost all in I could have had something way more versatile.

I love the high gain metal sound but sometimes I want something else. That's why I ended up getting the Roadster - 4 channels of bliss. . .

For versatile amps look at JSX/XXX, Carvin V3, Mesa Roadster or Mark IV/V, Laney IronHeart is worth a look.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by greene.tc789

If you want brootz - the 6505 is going to do that. It can also do a nice hot-rodded marshall thing. If you can get your hands on a Mesa, that would be awesome too. Then again, not everyone likes the "Mesa" sound.

Fender doesn't get a lot of love from the high gain crowd. The Prosonic, Supersonic, and Machete are the only Fender (tube) high gain amps I can think of off the top of my head. The Machete looked promising, but the price tag on it was crazy high when it was new. There isn't much out there of quality as far as reviews or demos go - that I'm aware of. I've never seen one or heard one in person.

There was an amp called the Fender Metalhead, but we won't talk about that. It's bad enough that I called it by name.
FWIW, I just picked up a Bugera 6262 (5150II clone) with a 3 year warranty for less than 200 shipped. The cleans aren't the best, but that price point and your budget I'd still have plenty to work with for another amp with better cleans. It might be something worth looking into unless you want one amp that does it all.