Hiya.

I'm looking for a replacement bridge for my guitar. I'm not sure if anybody else here has experienced the same problem as I have, but sometimes I feel like the large rear-end (where the fine tuners are) of a Floyd Rose-type bridge gets in the way of my picking hand.

I've seen the bridge on Guthrie Govan's signature Charvel model - I haven't actually tried one, but it looks interesting. Do any of you folks know where I can find one of those (the bridge, I mean) or anything similar? And in the case that I find one, will the replacement be an easy install, say, for an Ibanez RG? Or do I need to get some additonal woodwork done? :0

And feel free to recommend if you guys know any other floating tremolo-type bridges (that would help the picking hand problem).

Thanks!
If that is a problem, you need a Low Profile (Low Pro) Floyd Rose. The fine tuners are set way back so they don't get in the way of the picking hand.

Is it an OFR btw? If not, which LFR is it?

Also, can't you adjust the position of your picking hand, or it doesn't feels comfortable in any other way?
Hey, thanks for replying. I checked out the low profile Floyd Rose - I didn't know they had those. Looks like it's probably what I'm looking for. I still want try it out though.

If you're asking about the one on my guitar, it's a licensed Floyd Rose from Ibanez (correct me if I'm wrong).
It looks like this:

Well, for the most part, my picking hand can actually rest comfortably on the bridge - it's just that when it comes to picking on the thinner strings, I feel like my hand isn't as free as it could be, causing me to pick from a restrained-ish angle. For instance, as a result, when I try to alternate pick, I feel like my attack isn't consistent (as in my upstrokes and downstrokes).
Quote by gio.cdsb
Hey, thanks for replying. I checked out the low profile Floyd Rose - I didn't know they had those. Looks like it's probably what I'm looking for. I still want try it out though.

If you're asking about the one on my guitar, it's a licensed Floyd Rose from Ibanez (correct me if I'm wrong).
It looks like this:

Well, for the most part, my picking hand can actually rest comfortably on the bridge - it's just that when it comes to picking on the thinner strings, I feel like my hand isn't as free as it could be, causing me to pick from a restrained-ish angle. For instance, as a result, when I try to alternate pick, I feel like my attack isn't consistent (as in my upstrokes and downstrokes).

You have an Edge Tremolo then (I think). As far as I know, they aren't a direct fit with an OFR without routing the body of the guitar.

Maybe you have to adjust your hand position when picking the high strings. How long have you had a guitar with a floyd rose type tremolo? Is it the first one?
Working with a Floyd requires some technique modification. You really want to avoid resting your hand on the bridge as much as possible. I usually work with light strings and a very sensitive Floyd, and I can easily toss the thing out of tune with my ham-size paws.

Ibanez has some very streamlined Floyds, most of which weren't available as purchasable items off the guitars themselves for a long time. Might look into one of those and replace your current Floyd with one of those.

I've also had great success with Kahlers, which are still double-locking trems, but which aren't fulcrum trems (they're cam-operated). You can sit on them without affecting tune. The fine tuners are still there, but pretty much not a concern. Those aren't going to fit in your guitar without serious modifications (they actually have a plate that fits over the Floyd rout on the top of the guitar), but it's worth finding a guitar that already has one installed to see if you like it better.
Last edited by dspellman at May 30, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Working with a Floyd requires some technique modification. You really want to avoid resting your hand on the bridge as much as possible. I usually work with light strings and a very sensitive Floyd, and I can easily toss the thing out of tune with my ham-size paws.

Ibanez has some very streamlined Floyds, most of which weren't available as purchasable items off the guitars themselves for a long time. Might look into one of those and replace your current Floyd with one of those.

I've also had great success with Kahlers, which are still double-locking trems, but which aren't fulcrum trems (they're cam-operated). You can sit on them without affecting tune. The fine tuners are still there, but pretty much not a concern. Those aren't going to fit in your guitar without serious modifications (they actually have a plate that fits over the Floyd rout on the top of the guitar), but it's worth finding a guitar that already has one installed to see if you like it better.

My Floyd does not seem to be very sensitive to the slight pressure applied by my picking hand. I usually use regular gauge strings (0.10's). Though I find it nice how I can apply the right amount of vibrato on those long, sustaining chords just by pressing my hand down (just a wee bit harder) on the bridge while I'm playing - I think it's a much smoother motion compared to reaching for the tremolo arm.

This is probably why I won't enjoy using Kahlers - although I would still love to try one of those. I've heard that Kahlers have a softer feel compared to Floyds. And indeed, the bridge does look 'flat' compared to the one I have now. Though I would like to ask about a Kahler's tuning stability - I've also heard that Kahlers have problems when it comes to bending strings. How was this problem dealt with?
Quote by gio.cdsb
My Floyd does not seem to be very sensitive to the slight pressure applied by my picking hand. I usually use regular gauge strings (0.10's). Though I find it nice how I can apply the right amount of vibrato on those long, sustaining chords just by pressing my hand down (just a wee bit harder) on the bridge while I'm playing - I think it's a much smoother motion compared to reaching for the tremolo arm.

This is probably why I won't enjoy using Kahlers - although I would still love to try one of those. I've heard that Kahlers have a softer feel compared to Floyds. And indeed, the bridge does look 'flat' compared to the one I have now. Though I would like to ask about a Kahler's tuning stability - I've also heard that Kahlers have problems when it comes to bending strings. How was this problem dealt with?

This series of videos is very informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy1eiMZ5nUk

I tried a Kahler out and I liked how it felt, smooth as hell, but I still prefer Floyd Roses. Easier to maintain, and I couldn't live with the problems stated about Kahler on the videos I posted above. For some reason, I think that the FR has a better sound than Kahler when pulling up. And you don't have as much divebomb range with the Kahler.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 30, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
You have an Edge Tremolo then (I think). As far as I know, they aren't a direct fit with an OFR without routing the body of the guitar.

Maybe you have to adjust your hand position when picking the high strings. How long have you had a guitar with a floyd rose type tremolo? Is it the first one?

Yep, it's my first one with a Floyd Rose type tremolo - and I've had it for a couple of years. Though only recently have I been really conscious of my playing style. I find the rear-end of the Floyd a hindrance when I try to lower my hand to get a consistent attack on the thinner strings.

Do you think an Ibanez Edge Lo-Pro tremolo would fit?
Quote by gio.cdsb
Yep, it's my first one with a Floyd Rose type tremolo - and I've had it for a couple of years. Though only recently have I been really conscious of my playing style. I find the rear-end of the Floyd a hindrance when I try to lower my hand to get a consistent attack on the thinner strings.

Do you think an Ibanez Edge Lo-Pro tremolo would fit?

About that, I can't help you. Search around the web for the dimensions of your tremolo and compare them with the Edge Lo Pro to see if it fits.

See what I just posted above.

May I ask which guitar do you have? I know it's an Ibanez, but which model? That way, maybe I can help you.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 30, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
About that, I can't help you. Search around the web for the dimensions of your tremolo and compare them with the Edge Lo Pro to see if it fits.

See what I just posted above.

May I ask which guitar do you have? I know it's an Ibanez, but which model? That way, maybe I can help you.

Here's my guitar. I think it's an Ibanez N427. The thing is, I can't find a similar looking model (with exactly the same specs - H/H configuration, no pickguard, Floyd Rose, sharktooth inlays) on the internet. So I kinda have a problem identifying this one.

Here is what's imprinted on the headstock:

Here's a close-up on the bridge:

I'll look for the dimensions as well. Thanks for taking the time to help.
N427 does not indicate the model. You have an Ibanez RG (or GRG?), I'm just not sure about the model. Looking at the serial number, I'm almost sure it was made in August 2009. I'm going to look around the web and see what I can find.

Edit: I think I found it. It is a GRG220DEX. You have either an ILT1 tremolo or an Edge III tremolo.

I think it is an ILT1, but I might be wrong.

More info here: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/GRG220DEX
Last edited by DanyFS at May 31, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
I think it is an ILT1, but I might be wrong.

Agreed. I don't know my Ibbys that well, but from what I've seen the infamous Edge III doesn't bear the Ibanez logo on the top of the baseplate, whereas the ILT1 does.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Agreed. I don't know my Ibbys that well, but from what I've seen the infamous Edge III doesn't bear the Ibanez logo on the top of the baseplate, whereas the ILT1 does.

With this said, I think that it would be a direct swap for a Gotoh Floyd Rose. See the last post on this thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/replacing-ilt1-bridge-84945.html

Gotoh and Schaller are just like the OFR, but rebranded and thus cheaper. Some people claim that the Gotoh and Schaller trems are even better than the OFR. I can say that the Schaller is an awesome tremolo and is as good as the OFR because I already tried it, but I never tried the Gotoh.

The Gotoh FR is not Low Profile I think, but this thread says the following:

"The Gotoh fine tuners are angled away from your palm. If you accidentally hit the fine tuners on an OFR, you'll like this. The knurled knobs on the Gotoh are much sharper feeling. The fine tuners on both are very smooth, with a slight edge to the OFR. "

Link: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/133613-Battle-of-the-Floyds-Gotoh-vs-Schaller

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Gotoh produces the Edge tremolos for Ibanez.
Last edited by DanyFS at May 31, 2015,
I guess I still have a lot to learn. I'm still doing research to help me choose between the Ibanez Edge Lo-Pro and the Gotoh Floyd Rose. As of now I'm leaning towards the Gotoh. Haha.

I still can't be completely sure without trying the trems myself though - but this has helped a lot.

Thanks, everyone. I learned a lot from this conversation. I'll be coming back with more questions in the (possibly near) future.
i briefly ran through the thread, and i honestly would just get used to it. most guitars have some hangup that you have to adapt to. for example, my pickup selector switch on my Gibson LP was in the way, and i hit it and it was a pain in the ass, but i got used to it. back when i started playing, i hit the volume knob on my strat all the time. got used to it etc. etc. etc.

nothing is perfect. a new bridge is worth the better half of that guitar. maybe move on, or maybe go all out if you love it.

that is my $.02.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by DanyFS

I tried a Kahler out and I liked how it felt, smooth as hell, but I still prefer Floyd Roses. Easier to maintain, and I couldn't live with the problems stated about Kahler on the videos I posted above. For some reason, I think that the FR has a better sound than Kahler when pulling up. And you don't have as much divebomb range with the Kahler.

I've been using both Kahlers and Floyds for a long time (the oldest Kahlers are on guitars from around '89, and I've got eight or nine guitars with Floyd.

I'm not sure that I value these videos quite as much as you do, and there are issues on both sides of the fence. The video maker owns Floyds, doesn't own Kahlers; the attempt to be "unbiased" stops right there. Pretty typical. It's sort of like your experience -- you own a Floyd, but you "tried a Kahler out." Both the videos and your experience with the Kahlers are extremely limited, and ignore the fact that there are a WIDE variety of saddle materials and cam springs, the former of which affect the sound, the latter the feel.
Quote by dspellman
I've been using both Kahlers and Floyds for a long time (the oldest Kahlers are on guitars from around '89, and I've got eight or nine guitars with Floyd.

I'm not sure that I value these videos quite as much as you do, and there are issues on both sides of the fence. The video maker owns Floyds, doesn't own Kahlers; the attempt to be "unbiased" stops right there. Pretty typical. It's sort of like your experience -- you own a Floyd, but you "tried a Kahler out." Both the videos and your experience with the Kahlers are extremely limited, and ignore the fact that there are a WIDE variety of saddle materials and cam springs, the former of which affect the sound, the latter the feel.

I see where you're going, I might be biased (even it if is unconsciously) because I own a guitar with a Floyd and I only tried a Kahler once. As I said, I liked it when I tried it on my friend's BC Rich KK Warlock, except the pull up sound that I did not liked as much as on my Floyd Rose.

I'm also aware that some people don't experience the problems mentioned on those videos, but I looked around the web because after trying the Kahler I did some research to learn more about it, and I saw some more people complaining about those problems. Then again, my friend doesn't has any of those problems and uses his Kahler perfectly, but I stepped a bit back about Kahlers after reading on the forums so many people having those issues with the Kahlers. Maybe it is a problem with their production and come out many lemons? Or maybe they don't know how to set them up?

Either way, in the future I would like to have a guitar with a Kahler, just because I don't want to limit to Floyds only and I really liked how smooth it felt.
Quote by DanyFS
I see where you're going, I might be biased (even it if is unconsciously) because I own a guitar with a Floyd and I only tried a Kahler once. As I said, I liked it when I tried it on my friend's BC Rich KK Warlock, except the pull up sound that I did not liked as much as on my Floyd Rose.

I'm also aware that some people don't experience the problems mentioned on those videos, but I looked around the web because after trying the Kahler I did some research to learn more about it, and I saw some more people complaining about those problems. Then again, my friend doesn't has any of those problems and uses his Kahler perfectly, but I stepped a bit back about Kahlers after reading on the forums so many people having those issues with the Kahlers. Maybe it is a problem with their production and come out many lemons? Or maybe they don't know how to set them up?

Either way, in the future I would like to have a guitar with a Kahler, just because I don't want to limit to Floyds only and I really liked how smooth it felt.

https://www.google.com/search?q=confirmation+bias&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Don't get me wrong here guys, I'm perfectly aware that we can't trust everything on the internet and that sometimes we are biased towards something, I just found it weird. Maybe stepping a bit back wasn't the correct way to say it, it wasn't exactly what I meant.

But I rest my case. They are both great tremolos and you should go for the one you like the most. As I said on my previous post, I hope I can own a guitar with a Kahler in the future for the reasons I already stated.