Would love to buy a Gibson ES 335 but the price is way too much. I'm looking to stay in the $500 and under range. I've looked at the Epi 335 pro and Ibanez AS models. I think I like the feel and look of Ibanez overall but I wanted to ask the forum what you think. Are there other brands in that range I might not be aware of?
Thanks
It's not really a 335 copy, but the Gretsch Electromatic G5422 is an excellent guitar & is probably within your budget (unsure of $$$ prices).
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
It's not really a 335 copy, but the Gretsch Electromatic G5422 is an excellent guitar & is probably within your budget (unsure of $$$ prices).

And it's a full hollowbody with completely dfferently voiced pickups... Not really interchangeable with the dual PAF rock-machine that is the 335.

A Hagström Viking is one example of a 335-clone. (The originals were different and hollow, but the "reissues" are 335-clones all through.)
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Epi and Ibanez are good choices. Some of the Lawsuit Era no-name Japanese knockoffs were also excellent. Find a 70s JP from Ibanez, Aria, Memphis, Burny, Tokai or other brand. If it plays well and sounds good it is good. They also have some mojo from a time when JP guitars rivaled those from the Gibson factory.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 30, 2015,
Quote by HomerSGR
And it's a full hollowbody with completely dfferently voiced pickups... Not really interchangeable with the dual PAF rock-machine that is the 335.

Exactly why I suggested it. It's a good guitar in it's own right, without having to try & be a copy of something else.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Not positive about this, but I bet Agile makes a pretty good 335 copy. All of their other guitars are pretty on point. I think their 335 copy is called the AS-1000? I'd look into those. They probably make a couple different models at varying build qualities.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Danny, that Manta Ray is a pretty sweet looking guitar. A bit out of my range but worth considering. I would love to try it out somewhere but I don't remember seeing it in any guitar store I've been to.
Quote by ddkk1
Danny, that Manta Ray is a pretty sweet looking guitar. A bit out of my range but worth considering. I would love to try it out somewhere but I don't remember seeing it in any guitar store I've been to.

You might not- they're a small company. But I think they've recently negotiated deals with Sam Ash and/or GC.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Schecter Corsair is excellent but you have to mail order one as pretty much nobody stocks it.
The Epi Sheraton ll are nice guitars in the 335 mode. Catch a 15% off sale at GC or elsewhere and you can pick one up for a hair over $500. Enjoy finding your new guitar.
I've seen plenty Epiphone and Ibanez that were good, played a couple of Oscar Schmidt I liked too.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...