Hello, so I have decided that it's time to upgrade my transistor 8inch speaker amp to a tube. I am not planning to play gigs and will be using this at home so I don't need loud one. It should be below 10 watts, or be able to switch to less than 10 watts, it should be combo with 1x12 speaker or head and cab, want to play blues rock(joe bonamassa style) to hard rock/punk(rise against,papa roach,linkin park). My budget is 400€. I'm currently looking at laney cub 12 combo which I can get for 300€ or should I save money for laney IRT15h + cab which will cost me about 550€? I was hoping you can help me decide or recommend something in that price range which will be good for me. THanks
i will say the irt15h can cover a LOT of ground. i had one and it's a great unit. very versatile little tube head for sure.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Jet city 22h and a Harley Benton 2x12/1x12 Vintage from thomann.
The only difference is the 1x12 is open back.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I like both the Laney amps, also play thru a Tiny Terror. Orange has a very unmistakable Brit sound but it is a good sound and very useable at lower volumes.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
jet city looks nice, but I am afraid 22 watts will be too much for me. I am playing in apartment and if I crank it up too much neighbors would go crazy Thats why I like Laney - they have 1 watt input jacks
orange tiny terror looks nice, but has only 1 band EQ so I guess I would need EQ pedal with it and that would just be way too much above my budget
Quote by ondruskaj
jet city looks nice, but I am afraid 22 watts will be too much for me. I am playing in apartment and if I crank it up too much neighbors would go crazy Thats why I like Laney - they have 1 watt input jacks
With tube amps, not very many modern amps are made anymore where you have to crank the volume to get distortion and fullness. Modern amps have preamp and master controls, allowing you to dial in dirt with preamp and adjust volume with the master. So 22w is fine as long as you keep the master volume low for your apartment. c:
Quote by ondruskaj
orange tiny terror looks nice, but has only 1 band EQ so I guess I would need EQ pedal with it and that would just be way too much above my budget
Tiny Terrors would be great for punk/hard rock without an EQ pedal, maybe an overdrive though. For the JB sound I think it would work.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 30, 2015,
Quote by ondruskaj

Not necessarily, you can set it up bright and control with guitar treble control. It is an interesting amp and responds to dynamics. Depending on your pickups and amount of distortion you need it might be ok just to go guitar->amp. Try it in a store if you can.

Listen to my Egregore link - "High Speed Fracture" is all recorded with a TT.
I have a laney irt60h and its a good head.

I'd really recommend an eq pedal to run through the fx loop though. Makes the amp sound SO much better

I'd recommend it

Edit: just saw you said head + cab + pedal is out of your budget. Still recommend

Quote by ondruskaj

They don't have one watt input Jacks (at least mine doesn't) but they do have a built in wattage control which is super useful
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at May 30, 2015,
Quote by ondruskaj

The TT is a classic less-is-more approach. It is a very good sounding amp that delivers a lot of tonal variation from 3 knobs. Many newbies think more knobs are better but the TT proves this is not true. Pros often choose it in the recording studio for this reason. A TT is not for everyone but it is a very viable choice for the music you listed. Worth a test drive.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'll certainly think about tiny terror. It is however quite expensive sitting at 450€ at my local store and since I don't have cab, I would need that also ... looks like I'm gonna have to save more money.
Quote by chookiecookie
They don't have one watt input Jacks (at least mine doesn't) but they do have a built in wattage control which is super useful

IRT15H does have 1watt input + it has mp3 in which is really cool feature on my current amp, I love playing song on background and jamming to it and no other tube amp in this price range has this feature
A little more could get you a used Traynor YCV20 or Peavey Classic. Awesome amps. Very versatile.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
just bear in mind 1 watt cranked up will still likely be too loud for your apartment. and those lower wattage settings often don't sound as good as the amp on the full power setting (i haven't tried the ironheart).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have the dual terror (big brother to the tiny teror) and i love the damn things.

the single knob EQ is all you would ever need. it works great and i don't feel more need for anything on that amp.

it is great quiet as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There's also a Tiny Terror combo, that was the one I was suggesting. Traynor is also another great option, but I don't think they have them in Poland (that's where you live, right?).
Laney VC15 might be worth looking into as well.