Not sure if this is the correct forum for this topic

Basically i just bought a UV pen and light so i can security tag my guitar in the event it gets stolen, i know where i'm going to place it but i'm not sure what to 'tag' it with as i'm planning on moving out soon address and postcode aren't a option, anyone got ideas?
Quote by Tcrumpen
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this topic

Basically i just bought a UV pen and light so i can security tag my guitar in the event it gets stolen, i know where i'm going to place it but i'm not sure what to 'tag' it with as i'm planning on moving out soon address and postcode aren't a option, anyone got ideas?
Driver's license # + Name? Make sure you don't place it in a place where it could get rubbed off, like on the flip side of a backing plate.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 30, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
Driver's license # + Name? Make sure you don't place it in a place where it could get rubbed off, like on the flip side of a backing plate.

I was actually thinking out the inside of the electronics cavity plate, a thief wouldn't think to look there
Your legal name and the registry number with the authority? Not sure if you have that where you live, but in my country, we do. It's a number that you're known with in the system of the government and it never changes.

EDIT: Also, I'd mark it where it can't be dealt with. Covers can be replaced.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Your legal name and the registry number with the authority? Not sure if you have that where you live, but in my country, we do. It's a number that you're known with in the system of the government and it never changes.

EDIT: Also, I'd mark it where it can't be dealt with. Covers can be replaced.

What you described sounds like what we have in the UK called a National Insurance number

Edit also technically anything can be replaced as my guitar has a bolt on neck they could replace the neck if they wanted
Last edited by Tcrumpen at May 30, 2015,
Write that the instrument is cursed and that by stealing it they have evoked the wrath of Nephran-Ka.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Stolen From: your name here
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If you have a cell phone that you're not planning on changing the number of, use that.

If you have close relatives who aren't moving in the forseeable future, use that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 30, 2015,
Quote by theogonia777
Write that the instrument is cursed and that by stealing it they have evoked the wrath of Nephran-Ka.

The only obvious answer.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Tcrumpen
What you described sounds like what we have in the UK called a National Insurance number

Edit also technically anything can be replaced as my guitar has a bolt on neck they could replace the neck if they wanted

Yes, something like that. And you could mark the neck where it goes into the pocket and mark the pocket as well while you're at it. The chances that those areas are ever refinished are slim as well.
Quote by I K0nijn I

Don't you have that tattooed inside your upper lip when you're born there?

We have Social Security numbers in the US...
Last edited by dspellman at May 31, 2015,
You should consider putting an RFID chip in your guitar. Gibson is/was putting them in their guitars as part of the production process (more to be able to track them in the factory, I think, than anything else). Carvin WAS using the SNAGG chips (I think they may still put one in for you if you request it, but they're no longer doing it as a part of their production process) that allow you to register your guitar via the SNAGG database.

RFID chips are routine these days, showing up on package labels, credit cards, dogs/cats and much more. RFID chips are passive until you hit them with a specific radio wave. This provides them just enough power to transmit (short distances) whatever information they've been encoded with. Folks are now walking around with special wallets and credit card cases to *prevent* their credit card information being casually read by thieves with covert RFID readers.

The trick with all of these methods (including UV ink) is that the police need to know to look for whatever method you've used to ID your property. RFID scanners have become ordinary in some police stations these days and are non-intrusive, but you're unlikely to find any police who will disassemble a guitar to find the sneaky place where you've hidden your information. And, too, it's a PIA for the next owner ("but I'll NEVER sell my guitar!" Fooey).
Quote by theogonia777

Mine worship Bon-Hiki. I've found them gathering at the various solstices and at certain phases of the moon and thrumming to invoke the glowing presence of the Lord of Kumbaya. Scares the **** out of the cats.
There's a company called Micro-trax that used to have a pretty good deal on micro RFID dots, perfect for tagging instruments. Check 'em out.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Anyone tagging anything with something that can be used for identity theft is asking for trouble. How stupid are you people..?
Quote by arv1971
Anyone tagging anything with something that can be used for identity theft is asking for trouble. How stupid are you people..?

Not as dumb as this chick.

Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Btw. Cell phone number.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by GraceByDeath
Btw. Cell phone number.

No guarentee that will stay the same, my guitar will easily outlast my phone contracts