Hey everyone,
I haven't been on these forums in, well, 6 years! But I'm not sure where else to talk to a group of like-minded guitar players. I have been playing guitar for 11 years now as of this month. I got a new job and am getting paid well and I want to upgrade to a newer, nicer guitar.
In 2005 when I was around 15 years old, my mother bought me at the time a Schecter C1 Classic and this has been my primary guitar for the past 10 years. The guitar has held up very well over the years, I love the sound of it, works well for all styles of music. But, well, this has been my only electric guitar since then and I want to buy something a little newer and nicer.

On memorials day, I decided to buy the following:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2014-sg-futura-electric-guitar

It is a Gibson SG futura, and it is in the box ready to go back to Musicians Friend already. Turns out the min-etuner sucks and the one for the high E string broke on day one. Also in general, I wasn't too crazy about this guitar. It wasn't even the right color! For being the Gibson name, it sure didn't feel like a $1,000 guitar.
Does anyone here recommend a great guitar in this price range? Personally I am looking at the following right now:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-deluxe-ec-1000-fr-electric-guitar

It's an ESP, but so far what I have seen it looks and sounds great. I have also been eyeing up a Floyd Rose for a while now. I will be honest, I play my fair share of heavy metal music and the Gibson doesn't seem that great for metal music. I really like Shecter but I don't know if I want to buy another one, I was kind of hoping to go with something different.

I was looking at Ibanez and Jackson and I wasn't too crazy about the style of those in general. I want something different than the Schecter C1-style body this time. Does anyone recommend something? Basically something good for metal as well as classical rock, preferably light-weight (I have a herniated disc and I don't want something too heavy to stand with) with a different body style than a C1 or "fender" style body (I think that's what's inspired that design). Thanks!
Guitars: Fender Stratocaster, Schecter C1 Classic, Sekova Les Paul
Bass: Peavey Millenium AC 4
Amp: Line 6 210 Spider II
Pedals: FBV Express
Picks: Dunlop .60mm
Cable: Monster Cable
http://reverbnation.com/chunkrecords
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 30, 2015,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 30, 2015,
Hey guys,
Thanks for the suggestions, the Godin looks VERY cool! Fortunately both of those brands are on Musicians Friend so I can look at what they got. I should mention I would like to order from MF again because they are giving me a 15% discount pretty much on any model I pick!

Ghobby to answer you question, I would hugely prefer something brand new and unused for this amount of money. Also like I said I get this nice discount offer as well on something from MF. Also, regardless of the discount, I would consider maybe $1,300 range as well. I want something nice. I was definitely disappointed with the Gibson. Very sad it was a clunker. Gibson needs to quit putting the stupid etuner on everything, it's crap.
Godins are VERY well made, and have a lot of different options available.

You also might want to check out their xtSA, a LPclone with a HSH array.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/godin-xtsa

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 31, 2015,
Quote by sedativchunk
Hey guys,
Thanks for the suggestions, the Godin looks VERY cool! Fortunately both of those brands are on Musicians Friend so I can look at what they got. I should mention I would like to order from MF again because they are giving me a 15% discount pretty much on any model I pick!

Ghobby to answer you question, I would hugely prefer something brand new and unused for this amount of money. Also like I said I get this nice discount offer as well on something from MF. Also, regardless of the discount, I would consider maybe $1,300 range as well. I want something nice. I was definitely disappointed with the Gibson. Very sad it was a clunker. Gibson needs to quit putting the stupid etuner on everything, it's crap.

New and unused definitely has great appeal, I was just asking. Looking for a new guitar is alot of fun, I hope you enjoy whatever you choose.
What's wrong with a Jackson Pro Soloist?

Or how about an awesome custom Agile?
Hey everyone,
I have been keeping up with the replies, thanks. I really appreciate all the responses so far, I don't look at guitars much these days and the local Guitar Center has a stupid amount "Epiphone" on display and none of the good stuff anymore for me to physically try anything.

I was actually looking at PRS and missed that SE series in that price range, thanks for posting that Danustar! That actually looks extremely similar to the ESP I originally posted in terms of hardware. I like the ebony fretboard as well, that is a plus.

I am currently in between the original ESP EC 1000 I posted and the PRS Torero now that Danustar posted. One thing holding me back on the ESP, I don't want to pick a guitar over the name (look where that got me with the Gibson). But ESP, I don't know. Will that guitar be worth anything 20-40 years from now? I heard they have mediocre resale value. This isn't something I want to sell but I would like to keep for a lifetime. A PRS might be better for that.

What about metal music, how is the PRS with metal music? It seems to have the same stuff the ESP has hardware wise. And the colors, I guess they only have purple and the silver, what do you guys think looks better? I'm kind of leaning towards the sliver. I've had the screen open with it for a while and more I see it the more I want this silver PRS!
i wouldn't base a guitar purchase on resale value, especially a mass produced middle level guitar.

LTD EC1000's aren't bad, but personally for the money i think jackson does better. IMO ibanez even more so.

are you contemplating used guitars at all? because any new guitar loses most of its value walking out of the store .

are you using the amp in your signature?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You shouldn't really be concerneced with resale value for anything new in your price range. With very few exceptions everything will be made in China, Korea, or southeast Asia and will not hold well compared to the built in use stuff. So just find a guitar you like.

Maybe check out the prs s2 line? There's some stuff there in your price range.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Used is your best bet, no question.

Look into used ESP Standard series, PRS S2s, and similar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ibanez prestige, possibly some EBMM's, PRS CE's, etc. just start looking around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
LTD EC 1001, Pro Series Jackson of your body choice, wait for the Agile Semi-Custom shop to open, or an Ibanez Trashed suggests
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .