Page 1 of 2
To me, it's pretty much "The King's Speech" in recent memory. Good but forgettable and total Oscar bait.

What about you guys?

If you are looking for Best Picture winners and nominees to remember, here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
lord of the rings ofc

King's Speech won because every other nominee was meh.

Braveheart over Apollo 13 will never cease to perplex me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
How Green Was My Valley. Ordinary People. Crash. Argo. I don't think the Academy gets it drastically wrong very often, but those ones spring to mind.
How The Great Ziegfeld beat out The Story of Louis Pasteur in 1936 will never cease to infuriate me.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
How can a speech win an award for best picture?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Went through the list and chose only movies that I didn't like or found meh.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Dances With Wolves
Forrest Gump
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
The Artist

Actually, the only one in there that I didn't like was Dances With Wolves. The other ones are just okay and unremarkable. I don't remember how much I disliked Forrest Gump.
i had to look up what's won over the years b/c i don't usually pay attention to dumb awards things, so i'm gonna say Rocky.

Hurt Locker, too.

a lot of the nominees are shit, too.

oh, yeah, and LOTR Return of the King. i mean, really?

i don't really care anyways. Hollywood circle jerk bullshit.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by seventh_angel
Went through the list and chose only movies that I didn't like or found meh.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Dances With Wolves
Forrest Gump
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
The Artist

Actually, the only one in there that I didn't like was Dances With Wolves. The other ones are just okay and unremarkable. I don't remember how much I disliked Forrest Gump.

Sometimes Seventh I swear you're trying to make me not like you.
1939: Wizard of Oz should've won over Gone With The Wind

1940: The Great Dictator over Rebecca

1947: I enjoyed both The Bishop's Wife and Miracle on 34th Street, but I've not seen Gentleman's Agreement so I can't say it was undeserving cause idk

1950: Sunset Boulevard should've won. Should've won every Oscar up until like forever from now.

1951: I've not seen Streetcar Named Desire, but it's Marlon Brando, Kazan directing, and I love the book. So I reckon I'd probably take this over An American in Paris, but I've not seen that either.

1953: Roman Holiday has Audrey Hepburn, so it basically wins automatically, despite how good other films that year were.

1954: On the Waterfront should've had all the Oscar's ever

1961: not seen any of the films, but lol @ "Fanny"

1962: To Kill a Mockingbird should've won. Thanks racist old white people.

1964: My Fair Lady is so boring, and how could Dr. Strangelove (words words words) not win? Shameful.

1973: I watched The Sting when I was younger, so I don't remember much (except thinking it was about The Police), but from what I've heard about The Exorcist (which I've also not seen) that would be a close one? idk, if someone has seen both let me know what you think.

1976: Taxi Driver for sure. And then Network.

1979: I've not seen Kramer vs Kramer, but Apocalypse Now is god tier.

1980: Raging Bull

1983: I actually really like The Right Stuff, so I'll go with that. Don't remember anything but the song from Terms of Endearment, so idk, maybe it is more deserving but I like The Right Stuff.

1984: Not seen Out of Africa, but I really like The Color Purple

1989: Do The Right Thing and Dead Poets Society should've co-won.

1996: Fargo should've had it

1997: I like Good Will Hunting a lot more than Titanic.

1998: Shakespeare in Love? Really? Life is Beautiful for sure, and Saving Private Ryan. Like come on.

1999: still haven't seen American Beauty, but Sixth Sense really is amazing

2000: I'm ok with Gladiator winning, but I like Chocolat and Crouching Tiger etc more.

2002: Chicago is boring. The Pianist is not.

2003: Lost in Translation over LotR

2005: gtfo Crash

2009: Hurt Locker was ok, but Up.

2010: Black Swan, Inception, Social Network, and Toy Story 3 all could've had it. I would put The FIghter in there as well but I haven't seen it :o just heard good things

2011: Hugo or Tree of Life

2013: Her

2014: Selma. but Birdman is still very good.

:y:

Also for shame that Iron Giant wasn't nominated. I'd take it over Up for sure.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by seventh_angel
What weak spot did I touch now ?

Cuckoo's Nest and Hurt Locker specifically
Woah first person to ever negatively refer to OFOTCN. Are you even human?
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I'm gonna answer in the film thread, so we don't fill this thread with that talk, 'kay ?

EDIT: Regarding Cuckoo's Nest. I don't remember The Hurt Locker because it was extremely forgettable apart from that long scene when they try to dismantle the bomb in that street or something. The Hurt Locker is already a movie that is extremely divisive, so please don't hate me for that
I'll comment on the ones I've seen.

Shawshank should have won in 1994 over Forrest Gump, although Forrest Gump is very good.

Saving Private Ryan was robbed by Shakespeare In Love in 1998.

Slumdog was not that great but with the other nominees it was probably deserved.

The Hurt Locker was very good but I am amazed it won against Avatar, Inglourious and Up.

The King's Speech was also very good but personally I preferred Black Swan, Inception and True Grit.
Quote by Random3
Slumdog was not that great but with the other nominees it was probably deserved.

Between the ones on that year, I'd put them like this:

- Frost/Nixon
- Milk
- The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
- Slumdog Millionaire
- The Reader

For real, Frost/Nixon is one of the most underrated ( and forgotten ) movies of the last decade. Slumdog Millionaire isn't even close to being as good as those other three imo.
I hadn't seen any from that year, but I have been interested in Frost/Nixon. So I guess I should watch that or something
Quote by Baby Joel
1989: Do The Right Thing and Dead Poets Society should've co-won.

LOL

also "i've not" is ****ing weird as shit say "i haven't" instead you god damn yahoo

Quote by necrosis1193
King's Speech won because every other nominee was meh.

Black Swan is ****ing incredible

Still haven't seen 12 Years a Slave but I seriously doubt it was anywhere close to being as good as Her (the fifth best film ever made) so I'm going to say that's the least deserved
technically it's grammatically incorrect, because some grammar thing that I can't explain well.

i don't care tho fight me or osmehting but pls don't i'm not v strong
"i've not" is acceptable especially in england.
king's speech was boring. feel good for 40 yo women
i don't know why i feel so dry
Crash is definitely the first one that jumps to mind. There have been several best picture winners that I didn't particularly care for, but Crash was just plain bad.

On a side note, I attended a screening of the first-ever best picture winner, Wings, a few years ago. The film made the rounds to historic theaters across the US, along with the organist who composed the soundtrack for the re-release, which he performed live.

The movie stars Clara Bow (the "it girl"), Buddy Rogers, and a young Gary Cooper. The sheer scale of the production and the lengths that Wellman went to, to film it, are astounding. If you're interested, you should check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wings_(1927_film)
Quote by Eastwinn
"i've not" is acceptable especially in england.

yeah well baby joel is american so he needs to get his shit together hmu
okay so i guess i now know to disregard joel's movie opinions altogether
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
wait are you people serious? How did Crash suck? Lol how was it not worth the Oscar?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Crash is a white person feel good about how we can overcome racism and blah blah blah. I don't think Crash is awful, it's decent, but it is far from Oscar worthy.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
yeah well baby joel is american so he needs to get his shit together hmu

Quote by Eastwinn

Just call me The King's Speech from now on, BOO YA
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
None of you white boys are men enough to mention 12 years a slave?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I've not seen it. And Her is god level so idk.
I've not seen Her but I feel like if I watched it I wouldn't be having fun. Wolf of Wall Street tho.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
oooooooh i see

you're one of those guys who only likes films for fun

i bet you only listen to Jack Johnson as well

pff
I mean that song from Curious George was pretty catchy...
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Page 1 of 2