Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a small tube amp for bedroom use and small gigs.
I've been using a mesa stack for gigs that I could use from a place I used to take lessons.
at the moments its between these 3:
-blackstar ht5
-peavey 6505MH
-hughes&kettner tubemeister 18

the peavey is new so it'll take a while before I can get one(I'm from europe).
never played with a hughes&kettner before so I don't know how much gain it actually has.

main use will be for metal/metalcore/melodic death so high-gain is a must
any advice?
Can't afford more than 700euro for the head alone since I'll also be getting a cabinet,od and noise suppressor
Randall RD50C. Does all things great.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Jet City JCA22h
also look at the Krank Jr series
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 on the jet city. it's actually all-tube for a start, and a fraction of the price of those others on thomann
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look at the Engl ironball.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
It's almost always out of stock If I remember correctly it was as reasonably priced as the heads, in fact maybe more so. £300 rings a bell but I could well be misremembering as it's been out of stock for a good while now.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The HT5 and the Tubemeister 18 are both hybrids masquerading as tube amps.

Another vote for the JCA22H, here.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
For the stupid prices youse Europeans get them for, I'd get a Vox Nighttrain 50 (~350 Euros) with whatever your favourite boost pedal is. It won't do downtuned metal though, not due to a lack of gain, but due to the fact that it doesn't have the voicing for it. Maybe it'll work for you though.

If not that, then the Laney Ironheart Studio. You can't really go wrong with that, it does 7 and 8 string tones too, although it is a bit quieter than the other amps mentioned. However, believe me when I say that 15 tube watts is darn loud. And you'll have plenty of options to expand with it later on.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Quote by Cathbard

Another vote for the JCA22H, here.

+1 neither are overly great, the H&K is extremely fizzy, and the HT5 is just bland.

i would go jet city or a peavey.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard

Would you mind elaborating on this? Was personally looking at the Bugera G5 myself which I figure would be in the same boat as the HT5. I suspect it has something to do with the single preamp/poweramp tubes?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at May 31, 2015,
Quote by Guitar137335
Look at the Engl ironball.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by GNR4EVER
Would you mind elaborating on this? Was personally looking at the Bugera G5 myself which I figure would be in the same boat as the HT5. I suspect it has something to do with the single preamp/poweramp tubes?

The HT5 has an op-amp front end and a transistorised phase inverter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it seems most people prefer the Jet city
when I asked some people that know more about it that me irl
they told me to go for the h&k
Some people say h&k isn't true valve but I haven't seen anything about that yet online
We had close up photos of its guts in here a while ago. The TM18 has an op-amp front end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
We had close up photos of its guts in here a while ago. The TM18 has an op-amp front end.

thats so sad for an amp called the 'tubemeister' lol

http://puu.sh/i8iTF/ceedaac8ae.png
This is my current shopping basket
I'll probably only buy it in a month~ when I graduate uni
so people can still shout and stop me if they think there's something better

edit:
kinda curious whats the catch with jet city
since its about 200 euro cheaper compared to similar amps
Last edited by stef.van.poucke at Jun 1, 2015,
Quote by stef.van.poucke

kinda curious whats the catch with jet city
since its about 200 euro cheaper compared to similar amps
Made in China for a company that doesn't spend much on advertising
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by GNR4EVER
I suspect it has something to do with the single preamp/poweramp tubes?

You can have an all-tube amp with single preamp and poweramp valves- just it normally won't have a ton of preamp distortion on board, it'll be very vintage-sounding and with a vintage amount of distortion available. E.g. epiphone valve junior, fender champ, vht special 6, vox ac4 etc.

But when an amp has a modern amount of high gain distortion and only one preamp tube, there's a fair chance shenanigans are afoot.

Quote by stef.van.poucke
thats so sad for an amp called the 'tubemeister' lol

It's even worse than that. When challenged by email they swore blind it was all-tube, too.

At least blackstar had the decency to try to weasel out of it by making some shit up about pregain and stuff like that.

(allegedly, in my opinion, etc. etc.)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27747196&postcount=12
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
The HT5 has an op-amp front end and a transistorised phase inverter.

Still, I remember reading that the tube is doing most of the distortion work. If the opamp is just there to cleanly amplify (which SS circuits do well) the signal to drive the tube harder then I'm not sure I really care and count it against either Tubemeisters or HT amps. It just makes the tube distort more, yes? The existence of clipping diodes in Blackstar howevers bothers me more since, depending how they are used, can really affect the the sound in a harsh way.

TS. Also check out the small wattage Randall Diavlo heads and Laney Ironheart Studio. Nowadays there are a lot of choices for lunchbox heads in all price ranges.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ I know someone on another forum said he put it on a scope, and it was only with the gain way up that the diodes really clipped (and even then you couldn't really hear it).

even if that is true, i'm still not keen. i always use this example, but if i buy all-butter croissants I expect them to only have butter in them. being 50% margarine, even if i can't taste the difference, is not ok, because butter is dearer (analogous to tubes being dearer than ss).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
50w wouöd be more future proof if you ever get into band situation and clean headroom becomes a concern. Though apparently the EL84 tubes of jca22h do add a slight (british?) twist to the sound which some people like? Fish where are thee?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Fly on, fly on
yeah I know but people here don't really seem to be fan of the mini version coming out
I probably could get a 2nd hand for around 650 but 120W when I'll also be using it in my bedroom is a bit..
Quote by stef.van.poucke
yeah I know but people here don't really seem to be fan of the mini version coming out
I probably could get a 2nd hand for around 650 but 120W when I'll also be using it in my bedroom is a bit..

Combo or the mini head? People love the combo but nobody has the MH, its not shipping yet. People are merely wondering how close it really is to its big brothers due to the amount of preamp tubes it has.

Volume difference between 50w and 100w is very, very small. The lack of separare master volume is a bigger problem since it makes volume adjusting very touch sensitive process. Jet City also has this problem, there is only one master volume per channel. Keep a steady hand when adjusting volume and you'll be fine.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 1, 2015,
If you want a tube head thats easier to adjust for bedroom volumes check out Peavey XXX or JSX. Both are high gain amps, three channels and separate master to make your life easier for bedroom jamming.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I'ld rather get the head than the combo,just because I'ld like a decent cab.
Fluf/ryan bruce is going to test it out on his channel pretty soon so guess we'll see then how good it really is. But I think it'll be fine since they already had a pretty nice minihead with the valveking and the people that tested it at namm and musikmesse seemed to like it.
In oktober its available at thomann.

doesn't the lower amount of tubes just have to do with the lower wattage? Idk how it relates

I don't really need a fullblown 100-120W amp so I'ld rather avoid that.
Btw the xxx and jsx are pretty hard to get in europe
Quote by stef.van.poucke
I'ld rather get the head than the combo,just because I'ld like a decent cab.
Fluf/ryan bruce is going to test it out on his channel pretty soon so guess we'll see then how good it really is. But I think it'll be fine since they already had a pretty nice minihead with the valveking and the people that tested it at namm and musikmesse seemed to like it.
In oktober its available at thomann.

doesn't the lower amount of tubes just have to do with the lower wattage? Idk how it relates

Power amp, yes. Preamp, no. The preamp tubes are ther for gain stages, fx loop and phase inverter. Big 6505 has 5 or 6 preamp tubes. One is phase inverter which is part of the power amp and one is for the loop. That leaves a lot of tubes for cascaded gain stages which makes the distortion. MH having only 3 tubes is odd. You can get a shit ton of distortion with less gain stages without solid state wizardry (see peavey XXX, 4 preamp tubes and the lead channel is insane, too insane actually) but will it sound the same?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 1, 2015,
then lets say it doesn't, what would be the next best?
jet city vs randall rd20 or laney I'm guessing.
Flip of the coin. Randall is more modern, more metal oriented amp of the two.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
The 6505 mini should be great for lower levels and those types of tones

Randall has some decent offerings, but I'm still not convinced at all. The lower wattage Diavlo offerings are OK, but most don't have any real solid testing/reviews I have seen
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 1, 2015,
Quote by stef.van.poucke
jca22h vs jca50h?
50h is only 50 euro more expensive which is practically nothing

i've only tried the 50, but from what i've heard from people who have tried both, the 50 actually sounds better at home volumes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
from what you listed you want to sound like ass, I honestly can't help you there.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MaaZeus
Flip of the coin. Randall is more modern, more metal oriented amp of the two.

I haven't played the Randall, but I'll disagree unless you've played both. If you have fair enough, but the Ironheart is right about as modern as it gets, and judging by videos it sounds more modern (or CAN) than the RD20. Check out Fred Brum's demo of it.

OP, you shouldn't take Ryan's word for it, and he has said so numerous times himself. If you're after one particular sound, then no other amp apart from the amp that does that sound would cut it, even if it's just different versions of the amp (although the 5150/6505 series are identical to my ear, they may not be to yours). If what you want is a 6505+, then that's what you need IMHO, even if you have to get an attenuator or lower the volume to the pits of hell.

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by 2Crosser
I haven't played the Randall, but I'll disagree unless you've played both. If you have fair enough, but the Ironheart is right about as modern as it gets, and judging by videos it sounds more modern (or CAN) than the RD20. Check out Fred Brum's demo of it.

OP, you shouldn't take Ryan's word for it, and he has said so numerous times himself. If you're after one particular sound, then no other amp apart from the amp that does that sound would cut it, even if it's just different versions of the amp (although the 5150/6505 series are identical to my ear, they may not be to yours). If what you want is a 6505+, then that's what you need IMHO, even if you have to get an attenuator or lower the volume to the pits of hell.

trust me if my budget was unlimited I would xD
^ is there absolutely no way you could save up for just a little longer? How about the combo version? Because surely used 6505+ heads don't run for over 800 euros over there, do they? This is coming from an Aussie btw (our audio equipment prices are astronomical).

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by 2Crosser
^ is there absolutely no way you could save up for just a little longer? How about the combo version? Because surely used 6505+ heads don't run for over 800 euros over there, do they? This is coming from an Aussie btw (our audio equipment prices are astronomical).

USA made gear is much more expensive in Europe. The 6505's go for about 800 Euros or even more.
Fly on, fly on
800? you're joking right?
a peavey 6505+ is 1549 euro here
peavey 6505+212(combo) is 1k

so I'ld rather get the minihead and choose some decent speakers myself
(that was the idea at least)
minihead would be €650 when it comes out here together with a2x12" v30 cab for €200
and throw in a noise gate and od pedal

edit: there's not much used peavey heads, 1 peavey 6505 for 900 but is that worth if I also gotta get an attenuator. the guy also doesn't exactly live close, about a 3h drive .
Last edited by stef.van.poucke at Jun 2, 2015,
Page 1 of 2