I'm a total noob at theory, and would like to start writing songs with my band. I can't come up with anything decent no matter how hard it try. We've come up with basic outlines (tuning, time sig, tempo) but can't get a riff, solo, or chord progression to save our lives. Any tips?
Learn songs by other people to get ideas.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
As Alan said, work on learning songs by other people to get ideas. Also, maybe familiarize yourself with the chords built from the major scale. With that, then you could at least figure out some progressions like the common I IV V or I vi IV V.

When writing your own material, your ears are probably the most important thing, though. After getting comfortable with learning other bands' songs, you'll have be able to decipher some good riffs/progressions/etc.

Just remember, it's ear first and theory later especially when writing material. Theory is basically giving names to and describing what you're doing, not the rules to playing. So, if you play a C, G, Am, F progression, you can then use theory to tell your bandmates to say "Hey, I'm playing a I V vi IV in C major."
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by auzzietaco
I'm a total noob at theory, and would like to start writing songs with my band. I can't come up with anything decent no matter how hard it try. We've come up with basic outlines (tuning, time sig, tempo) but can't get a riff, solo, or chord progression to save our lives. Any tips?

Have you thought about expanding upon your musical knowledge to get exposure to more ideas and possibilities?

Best,

Sean
You don't need theory... Just learn songs from the genre you are interested in and take from that. Like for me I play thrash metal so I incorporate a lot of triplets, power chords, and multiple styles of soloing. Try out what is best for you first, theory later. You'll just become confused

Also, how are you coming up with these time signatures and everything WITHOUT the music? Just curious
Quote by PiercedBand
You don't need theory... Just learn songs from the genre you are interested in and take from that. Like for me I play thrash metal so I incorporate a lot of triplets, power chords, and multiple styles of soloing. Try out what is best for you first, theory later. You'll just become confused

If you had learned theory you would know that those (8th, 16th, 16th) aren't called triplets. See, you didn't learn theory and you'rethe one that is confused.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
No triplets are an 8th and two 16ths and no triplets are three 16ths. You don't seem to understand the concept of tuplets in music. Because you never learned your theory.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at May 31, 2015,
I think that you're still thinking of galloping and not triplets.