Hello My 17th birthday is coming up and I've been learning guitar for about a fortnight.

I'm buying my first guitar in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure on exactly what kind of guitar I want. I'm trying to decide whether to go for a steel string acoustic or a nylon classical (which I'm currently using). For the record, I'm aware that steel strings are tougher on the flesh, but I do rock climbing so i'm pretty familiar with calluses and skin-peeling already.

The book that I have been using so far (Frederick Noad's) focuses on solo playing and Spanish classical. I do really like Spanish classical music but I don't want to be restricted to solo playing, my dad only ever learnt solo and never even touched music theory so he thinks I should just get a classical. But I would like to play in groups, maybe even start a band some day, and, while I have a lot of respect for classical Spanish guitar, I'm not a purist and I also want to learn more modern genres. Right now, indie folk and soft rock is my favourite genre, and I would want to be able to play or even write for those styles. I'd only like to learn solo spanish to be able to play for pleasure whenever I want, I don't really have an interest in writing classical.

Anyway, bearing all that in mind, what should I go with? Steel or Nylon strings? Any specific makes or models that people would recommend? The price range is someone limited, I can't spend more than £400-£450 (about $610-$690) Preferably less, but I don't mind one that costs a little over £400.
a few thoughts -

one of the big differences in playing classical vs most acoustic guitars is nut and neck width. classical necks have a nut (it's the plastic or bone strip above the first fret) that's 2 to 2 1/4" wide while the most common acoustic nut width is 1 11/16" but they come in sizes up to 1 7/8". and believe me, that little amount of difference can make a big difference. i find 1 11/16" guitars to be too cramped for me to play freely while some people while some players find 1 7/8" guitars to feel too wide.

you can play every song on nylon string guitars or steel string. i played in acoustic bands using a nylon string guitar.

i now play classical on steel string guitars. i like how it sounds.

so i'd say the first thing to determine is which type of guitar you prefer the sound of - steel or nylon.

the yamaha FG700 is probably one of the best budget dreads out there. if you go with steel, that and the FG730 are nicely made, sound good and the price is right. i love the seagull original S6 - it's my favorite solid top guitar for its beautiful tone and - i admit - it's slightly wider, thicker neck. and it's well made, too. cordoba makes some nice nylon string guitars in a wide range of prices.

if you can give us more info about what you're looking for, we can probably give you some more suggestions.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
^^^^ I think that's good advice about deciding on the kind of sound you want. I mostly play steel string, but the gentler tones of a nylon string are just as good in their own way. - I had mine out yesterday. Plus you can do back strokes, eg rascuedos, without wrecking your nails. I also think they lend themselves better to more discordant kinds of sounds like flamenco.

It seems to me that the world of inexpensive nylon strings is populated with clunkers, so it pays to shop around. I played a couple of Katohs recently that I thought were outstanding and well within your price range. The Cordoba Fusion range seems pretty good, and come with a 1 7/8 neck and radiused fretboard.

In steel strings I would nominate Yamaha and Recording King.
Thank you! I'm really torn between the Seagull and the Yamaha now, leaning slightly towards the seagull I think. I guess it will just come down to trying them out myself. Thanks for the recommendations
Quote by patticake

i now play classical on steel string guitars. i like how it sounds.

My God, it's full of stars!
i guess Dreadnought isn't as much a fan of the sound of steel strings as i am

Serotonite, i ultimately exchanged my yamaha FG730 for a seagull original S6 and was super happy with it, but you can't go too far wrong between them.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I personally like a seagull over a yamaha. I think the seagull warms up after a few years, and has a great sound. I owned a yamaha compass series and loved it, had a good sound, but I never felt it matured soundwise.
You won't find a bigger fan of steel strings!

But nylon strings do offer their own advantages, and much of 'classical' guitar was written with these advantages and differences in mind, such as the tonal control, warmth, sustain, etc.

A difference in preference, I say.
Quote by Dreadnought
You won't find a bigger fan of steel strings!

But nylon strings do offer their own advantages, and much of 'classical' guitar was written with these advantages and differences in mind, such as the tonal control, warmth, sustain, etc.

A difference in preference, I say.

Better yet: play classical on a 12 string so you can sound like a harpsichord, the most classical sounding of all instruments.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Better yet: play classical on a 12 string so you can sound like a harpsichord, the most classical sounding of all instruments.

I'll consider this answer if you really mean the lute-harpsichord
Quote by theogonia777
I'm gonna say the harpsichord is the most "Baroque", sounding of all instruments. Lots of tinkling and triplets going on in the Baroque era, that's for sure.

As for the most, "classical sounding of all instruments", that would have to be the pipe organ, which dates back more than a thousand years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_organ
[
Quote by Dreadnought
I'll consider this answer if you really mean the lute-harpsichord

You mean the loutwreck?

Quote by Captaincranky
I'm gonna say the harpsichord is the most "Baroque", sounding of all instruments. Lots of tinkling and triplets going on in the Baroque era, that's for sure.

As for the most, "classical sounding of all instruments", that would have to be the pipe organ, which dates back more than a thousand years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_organ

Organ sounds more like church music obviously.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
[

You mean the loutwreck? ...[ ]...
Keeping a gut strung harpsichord in tune sounds like a full time job, let alone finding time to play it. No?
OK, so I live in Manchester, UK. This is a problem - I was fairly settled on an S6, but the only one I could find in any music shop in the whole city was left-handed

FML
Quote by Captaincranky
Keeping a gut strung harpsichord in tune sounds like a full time job, let alone finding time to play it. No?

Hence the nickname for the instrument. Laudenwerck -> Loutwreck.

Quote by Serotonite
OK, so I live in Manchester, UK. This is a problem - I was fairly settled on an S6, but the only one I could find in any music shop in the whole city was left-handed

FML

While unfortunate for you, it is kind of funny since that's like every lefty ever... except in their case obviously every single guitar is right handed.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 1, 2015,
So I went and tried out an seagull coastline s6 cedar folk guitar (like an original but smaller body and more....folky..). It's pretty pricey, but I think I can negotiate something with my dad (who's clearly whining about the fact that I don't want to learn exactly how he did, which based on his knowledge of music would not be a good idea). Anyway, is this guitar just as good as a regular S6?
i don't care for the sound of the folk sized seagulls. to me, they sound smaller and boxy, not the open, full sound of the dreadnought sized S6 original.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by patticake
i don't care for the sound of the folk sized seagulls. to me, they sound smaller and boxy, not the open, full sound of the dreadnought sized S6 original.

Hmmmm, do you know of anywhere I can find a sound comparison?
Hi,i'm just a beginner,i want to find a classical guitar with budget usd 200-300 ,any recommended which brand and type that the sound is really amazing with good price?
I like such as malaguena,flamenco or spanish and folk style
And i found that in video Or website said that accoustic classical guitar,does it mean the neck is wider classic with six Steel string combination?because i just bought mahogani MG010SB try to learn,i don't know this is classical or accoustic (six steel string)

And does suitable if i play such as spanish,malaguena etc most in fingerstyle in accoustic guitar? They always recommended me get accoustic cos classical guitar neck is more width than accoustic that easy to use it and could use in many style i ever heard cordoba c5 in video i like this mellow

Thank you
Quote by elsie56
Hi,i'm just a beginner,i want to find a classical guitar with budget usd 200-300 ,any recommended which brand and type that the sound is really amazing with good price?
I like such as malaguena,flamenco or spanish and folk style
And i found that in video Or website said that accoustic classical guitar,does it mean the neck is wider classic with six Steel string combination?because i just bought mahogani MG010SB try to learn,i don't know this is classical or accoustic (six steel string)

And does suitable if i play such as spanish,malaguena etc most in fingerstyle in accoustic guitar? They always recommended me get accoustic cos classical guitar neck is more width than accoustic that easy to use it and could use in many style i ever heard cordoba c5 in video i like this mellow

Thank you
Elsie, please start your own thread for this. Thanks. If I don't tell you this, Dreadnought, (our mod), likely will.