Hello,

I have owned a Fender American Standard Strat for a while now and I have just sold my first electric guitar, my Yamaha Pacifica 112V. As I have a place empty on my wall, I am looking for a cheap guitar that will bring me a bit more to the table (that I can't get from my SSS Strat).

I am looking for something bellow 500 euros (but that it is still good enough not to be totally eclipsed by my Strat) that I will have fun playing. I thought of something along Les Paul style (I was recommended the PRS SE Santana 1st edition) or the more classic Mex Strat (mind you, I am looking for second hand guitars).

Could you guys give me some advise on this front? That would be really appreciated!

Cheers
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 31, 2015,
I would be looking for something with P90s or vintage-style uncovered humbuckers. The should compare favourable with you strat. OTOH, if you bought covered or hot humbuckers, they might sound muddy by comparison.

For example, there are a lot of "Vintage Vibe" Squiers at about your price point, with P90s or humbuckers, that I could be happy with. Here's one example:

http://www.squierguitars.com/guitars/telecaster/vintage-modified-cabronita-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-black/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The PRS Tremonti SE is a pretty nice guitar, nicer than the 1st Santana SE IMO

G&L ASAT deluxe is another worth looking at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Might have to go with a Tribute G&L with the OP's budget.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Might have to go with a Tribute G&L with the OP's budget.

yeah, that is what I was meaning
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think that all of the above are great suggestions, especially the Gretsch.

You mentioned that you were looking at MIM Fenders, and I would urge you to take a look at Blacktop series. They're well within your budget, and they offer a wide variety of body styles and pickup configurations. I have a 2001 HH Blacktop Strat, and it's a really nice guitar for the money (I paid $200, used, but basically brand new).

You also may want to take a look at an SG Faded, too. I don't know what the market is like in Europe, but in the US you can grab one for $500ish USD. A lot of people hate on these, but, to be honest, I've played a few of them (and owned one) and they absolutely scream.

Really, anything with a dual humbucker configuration is going to be your best bet. Since you're buying used, keep an eye on Craigslist and / or stop by the guitar shop once a week, and if you find something that interests you, play it. If you don't love it, just keep looking. Anyway, that's my 3 cents.
I was going to suggest a Reverend Double Agent, which has a HB in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. But I couldn't find one on sale within the budget.

However, I was reminded of the G&L Tribute Fallout, which is one of t guitars that shares that pickup configuration...

Here are some I found at Reverb.com:
https://reverb.com/marketplace?ships_to=&query=Fallout+g+make%3Ag-and-l&price_min=&price_max=560&commit=Filter

Gretsch Pro Jet or Epiphone 335 Pro.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I had a Gretsch Pro Jet for a good while. Served me really well, it's a good counterpart to a Strat.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 1, 2015,

maybe check out a EC400/E1000? decent LP shaped guitar for a cheap price. not all EMG's.

i think jackson and ibanez may be worth a look. i don't know your used market, but i picked up two ibanez prestige guitars each for under $500, one below $400. they are very well built, the trem on the prestige models are great in general. the pickups aren't the best though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Get a Steinberger Spirit
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
You guys are AMAZING!
Thank you for all the suggestions... There's brands I have never heard about before!!!
So, I am a bit limited... living in Paris! Guitars are more expensive here and there are not as many models as you can probably find elsewhere. On top of that, I would like to try the guitar before buying it... so I guess I have to be patient until something comes up that seems interesting.
For the time being, I have set up a few searches based on several of the suggestions around, and I will wait until I find something that seems like a good deal (I am more inclined to a PRS SE Santana, a MiM Tele and the Gretsch Pro jet).

Thank you again for giving me too many guitars to choose from!!!!
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
...which is why I'm trying to post links only of those guitars whose sellers are willing to ship internationally or who are already located in Europe.

a used ernie ball music man axis? used peavey wolfgang?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
a used ernie ball music man axis? used peavey wolfgang?

I love my peavey wolfgangs. Hell of a bang for the buck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I don't care for their aesthetics, but I cannot argue with their value for cost. Good guitars.

Quote by milcs
Something like this? http://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/810812672.htm?ca=12_s

But... are these good for rock/blues or more for heavier styles?

Yes those guitars.
They work well for many styles of music. They were the 1st EVH signature guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Wolfgangs/Axis are great for rock, blues, jazz, country, metal, heavy rock...just about anything. They are some of the most versatile, underrated instruments that money can buy.

For 350 euros you won't do much better than that. I would buy the shit out of that guitar.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

The Silvertone 1449 reissue, the lipstick pickups have a great bite. The Italia Modula Type 3, very versatile with 2 singlecoils and a p-90 in the bridge position.
About the MIM Telecaster, I can recommend you the Fender Baja Telecaster. I've got one and is a great guitar. Great sound and playability. And maybe you can find one used around 500€.
That is our purpose. Happy hunting!

I see some people suggesting a Hagstrom. I have had a Super Swede for a few weeks. It looks great. It plays ok. To my ear the pups don't sound good at all. I play through a Blackstar ht40 and a Fender Vibro Champ XD. Some have described the pups as having "low end growl", or "dark". My translation for that is: Truly lifeless, non descript, need to change pups. My humbucker comparisons are a gibson sg special ( used around $400-500us), and a gibson RI68 V, that I put a 57 classic and a 57 classic plus in. I mention this because hagstrom markets the custom 58 as a PAF style pup. You can't fairly compare the V to the Hag. that would be a joke . The SG will peel the paint of the Hag.
Someone else mentioned a Pro Jet. I had one (Electromatic) and traded it for a classic vibe tele. I don't regret the trade. But I am going to get another Gretcsh PJ. The filtertrons sound great!! The guitar overall is an excellent value. All IMO
Quote by Alarico1976
About the MIM Telecaster, I can recommend you the Fender Baja Telecaster. I've got one and is a great guitar. Great sound and playability. And maybe you can find one used around 500€.

baja teles are pretty nice. they are priced pretty damn high now on the used market. for what i have seen baja's running for you could pick up a HWY1 or even a used MIA standard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
baja teles are pretty nice. they are priced pretty damn high now on the used market. for what i have seen baja's running for you could pick up a HWY1 or even a used MIA standard.

Really? When I bought mine new in 2012 it was 630 €, more or less. I thought that one used shouldn't cost much higher than 500 €. What you say is good news for me, that already have a Baja Tele, but not so good news for 'milcs', whose searching for a new guitar. Sorry mate. Perhaps my recommendation is not as good as I thought.
Op, how about an Epiphone Nighthawk reissue? I had one for a few years when they first came out and i really really loved it. It's versatile as all hell and can do everything from a strat quack to Slash LP tones and so many things in between. They are pretty well made and they feel great to play. Also relatively inexpensive.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Alarico1976
Really? When I bought mine new in 2012 it was 630 €, more or less. I thought that one used shouldn't cost much higher than 500 €. What you say is good news for me, that already have a Baja Tele, but not so good news for 'milcs', whose searching for a new guitar. Sorry mate. Perhaps my recommendation is not as good as I thought.

don't worry about it. its a good rec for sure. even at 630€ thats more than HWY1's were new. our markets could very well be different.

but baja's seem to be treasured by quite a few on TDPRI (tele forum). they are nice, worth it IMO.

you got one, enjoy it
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!