Hi, I am looking for the best guitar/pickup combo for Brad Gillis' tone in songs like Crazy Train.
I would like to stay around 500-600. Some pickups I was thinking about was

EMG 81/85
SD SH-4/ jazz sh-2

But I dont know about these so please give more suggestions.
Thanks!
Quote by SlayerGTLP
Hi, I am looking for the best guitar/pickup combo for Brad Gillis' tone in songs like Crazy Train.
I would like to stay around 500-600. Some pickups I was thinking about was

EMG 81/85
SD SH-4/ jazz sh-2

Brad was likely using the red strat, which has a Duncan JB in the bridge, an original ’62 in the middle, and a stacked Duncan in the neck position. The other guitar he used on a few songs with Ozzie was a black LP Custom with a Floyd added somewhere along the line; stock pickups.
I wouldn't go with the 81/85 , with the gear I use I find regular EMG pickups to be lifeless and they aren't as articulate as everything else on the market. Say for example with seymour duncan blackouts if you turn the treble to 10 it sounds one way and if you instead put bass to 10 there is more of a difference. Passives can be solderless too with a liberator system or soldering some screw in terminals to a pot.

try some guitars in a shop and if the shop has a similar amp to what you use try everything out that seems enticing to you, I'd recommend going on a day where there is little to no one in a shop so you can play without caring and let your ears decide. Remember pickups aren't end game, strings, pickups and all make a big difference. I love todays technology to use stuff like guitar processors like line 6 pods to something along the lines of positive grid my friend who is a really good guitarist can't say enough good things about.