Hey guys,

So basically this is pretty much my first ever post. Honestly, I just started learning by myself the electric guitar for my church. I really need help on learning a rift from a song. Quite honestly I find it challenging for me as I am a beginner. I hope someone would be able to help me figure out how to play the rift of the song.

Here is the link to the song: Anthem of Grace - NCC t

The rift starts from 2mins 54 sec and ends at 3mins 21 secs. I've played around for a bit and its on the B and E string. I'm sorry that I do sound newbie cuz I really am still a noob >.< haha

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me out a little on this

I'm also learning how to read tabs right now !

Thanks a heap!
Yes, I'm happy to help! This is the solo. There are a lot of effects on this, such as delay, etc.

This first line gets you to about 3:08 just before it gets higher.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|--------1/3--1------------1/3--1-----------------------------------------------5-------5--6--
B|--------------------------------------------6--4--3--3--4-----------3--4--6-----8--------
G|--0--0--------------------------------3---------------------5----3-------------------------
D|--------------------3--3---------------------------------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This part goes from 3:08 to 3:13

E|------------13/15--13----------13------------------13/15--13----------13------
B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|--15--15-------------------15------15------14--14-----------------14------14--
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This next part gets you to where the girl starts singing "mountains..." at the end of this line

E|----13----------------------------------------------10--11--13----------------------
B|--------16--15--15--16--13------11h13-------------------13--11--10--11--
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps! Be blessed!

By the way, to help you out, these chords are Gm F and Eb to F.

You can play along with this with a Capo at the 3rd fret, and then play an Em D and C back to D (open string chord shapes)

Forgive the buggy formatting, I don't normally do tab, but it's to help you for your church, so I gave it my best

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at May 31, 2015,
Quote by Sean0913
Yes, I'm happy to help! This is the solo. There are a lot of effects on this, such as delay, etc.

This first line gets you to about 3:08 just before it gets higher.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E|--------1/3--1------------1/3--1-----------------------------------------------5-------5--6--
B|--------------------------------------------6--4--3--3--4-----------3--4--6-----8--------
G|--0--0--------------------------------3---------------------5----3-------------------------
D|--------------------3--3---------------------------------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This part goes from 3:08 to 3:13

E|------------13/15--13----------13------------------13/15--13----------13------
B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|--15--15-------------------15------15------14--14-----------------14------14--
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This next part gets you to where the girl starts singing "mountains..." at the end of this line

E|----13----------------------------------------------10--11--13----------------------
B|--------16--15--15--16--13------11h13-------------------13--11--10--11--
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps! Be blessed!

By the way, to help you out, these chords are Gm F and Eb to F.

You can play along with this with a Capo at the 3rd fret, and then play an Em D and C back to D (open string chord shapes)

Forgive the buggy formatting, I don't normally do tab, but it's to help you for your church, so I gave it my best

Best,

Sean

Thank you so much Sean! You're a legend! Thank you so much! I'm trying to study how to read it now! Once again thanks so much!!
Quote by manishx7
Thank you so much Sean! You're a legend! Thank you so much! I'm trying to study how to read it now! Once again thanks so much!!

Well, here! I made a couple of video links to help:

https://youtu.be/AvSTf15zRIM - demo of the solo

https://youtu.be/A5oekWsp6Oc - teaching it slowed down phrase by phrase.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Well, here! I made a couple of video links to help:

https://youtu.be/AvSTf15zRIM - demo of the solo

https://youtu.be/A5oekWsp6Oc - teaching it slowed down phrase by phrase.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Sean

cheers Sean! Its really helpful! Just wanna ask, if it is a must for you slide your fingers for hitting the notes on the 13/15? Or can I place a different finger on the finger board to hit the other note on the 15th fret?

Lastly, might sound a little silly but how did you manage to figure out all the notes? I'm almost pulling my hair out for other christian songs !
Quote by moses132049
its called a riff

Sorry!! hahha still learning the ropes and especially the Riffs
Quote by manishx7
cheers Sean! Its really helpful! Just wanna ask, if it is a must for you slide your fingers for hitting the notes on the 13/15? Or can I place a different finger on the finger board to hit the other note on the 15th fret?

Lastly, might sound a little silly but how did you manage to figure out all the notes? I'm almost pulling my hair out for other christian songs !

Sure! You can do it how you like, as long as you like the results. On the example you had me listen to, I heard them as slides, so I just did it that way.

As far as "how". I guess it comes with the territory. I make my living teaching people to play the guitar. Figuring out songs to teach students, is a part of that at times.

Also, theory helps a lot. You could learn to do this!

Hope it helped a little.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Sure! You can do it how you like, as long as you like the results. On the example you had me listen to, I heard them as slides, so I just did it that way.

As far as "how". I guess it comes with the territory. I make my living teaching people to play the guitar. Figuring out songs to teach students, is a part of that at times.

Also, theory helps a lot. You could learn to do this!

Hope it helped a little.

Best,

Sean

Thanks Sean, it didn't help a little. It helped a lot!!!

I'll try to pick this up in the mean time!
also too there is software out there that lets you slow down the solo so you can get every note right. really helps alot, and you can increase the speed the better you get at the solo.