Looking for a guitar to keep at a pretty low tuning

- Looking for a Floyd rose
- must have whammy bar
- 24 frets
- Shape: Either a Flying V, warlock, ML dean, or an explorer shape. Any of those shapes work.
- Headstock shape doesn't matter, but a headstock that's sharp like a warlock's headstock (where it looks like two horns) would be nice
- Humbucker pickups. EMGs or Seymour duncans are preferred (thought on which is better for thrash?)
- have 1k to spend. More than that is overdoing it for me.
- I use a peavey 6505+.

Thanks
Last edited by Granata at Jun 1, 2015,
What is your location? US? Europe?

In any case, if you're going new, here's some suggestions:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/b.c.-rich-pro-x-mockingbird-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-kvmg-pro-v-king-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-pro-king-v-kv-electric-guitar

Personally, I would go for the Jackson with the Seymour Duncans. I'm not a fan of active pickups. Both EMGs and SDs are very good for thrash metal. Dave Mustaine used SDs on his early albums (he now uses his signature version pickups, which are the active version of the passive SDs he used to have). About that it's a matter of taste, you'll have to see which ones you prefer.

Those are some suggestions only, do take a look at LTDs too. They have very good explorer shape guitars I think.
Quote by DanyFS
What is your location? US? Europe?

In any case, if you're going new, here's some suggestions:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/b.c.-rich-pro-x-mockingbird-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-pro-king-v-kv-electric-guitar

Personally, I would go for the Jackson with the Seymour Duncans. I'm not a fan of active pickups. Both EMGs and SDs are very good for thrash metal. Dave Mustaine used SDs on his early albums (he now uses his signature version pickups, which are the active version of the passive SDs he used to have). About that it's a matter of taste, you'll have to see which ones you prefer.

Those are some suggestions only, do take a look at LTDs too. They have very good explorer shape guitars I think.

Wow, I am in love with that white Jackson. So are SDs pretty standard for that heavy tone in metal? And how are BC rich guitars? I love the Jackson but I wanted some suggestions on some warlock-looking guitars. I've played one before and it felt amazing. If all goes bad I'll go with the Jackson.
Quote by Granata
Wow, I am in love with that white Jackson. So are SDs pretty standard for that heavy tone in metal? And how are BC rich guitars? I love the Jackson but I wanted some suggestions on some warlock-looking guitars. I've played one before and it felt amazing. If all goes bad I'll go with the Jackson.

I didn't found a decent warlock in your price range, but I'll search around a bit more and see what I can find.

Yes, Seymour Duncans are used quite a lot in thrash metal. But if you could try out both EMGs and SDs to see which one you like the most would be best. I just prefer passive pickups because they are more versatile and, to my ears, EMGs are a bit sterile.

But yeah, that Jackson is pure sex. As a Jackson fanboy, I must say I fell in love with it

High-end BC Rich guitars are very good. On your price range, you'll get awesome BC Rich guitars. That Mockingbird is very sexy too, but since you prefer a Warlock shape, I'll see what I can find.

Edit: This was the only Warlock I found with a Floyd on your price range: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/b.c.-rich-nj-deluxe-warlock-electric-guitar
Last edited by DanyFS at Jun 1, 2015,
You want a Jackson Kelly KEXMG or the best King V you can find.

Try the EMG 81 in the bridge or if you do go SD and the JB isn't cutting it try a Distortion.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
^+1 i like jackson kellys a lot, they are pretty nice overall, but i am not sure of the trem model.

a bad trem isn't a good thing if you like staying in tune.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by metalmingee

Try the EMG 81 in the bridge or if you do go SD and the JB isn't cutting it try a Distortion.

Why get a Kelly KEXMG when, with his budget, he can get for example a Pro Series King V? The Floyd Rose Special ain't that bad, but since he has 1k to spend, he would be better off with the Pro V which has the original.

Also, this is just my opinion, yours and TS' may defer, but I don't like the Kellys because of the upper fret access. The "horn" limits me a bit, I feel more comfortable with a V. But they are damn sexy and very well built guitars though.

Agree with you on the SDs. The JBs may have that classy tone, but the Distortions cut very well.
Quote by metalmingee

Avoid the "X-Series". You can go about $100 more and get ebony fingerboards and Alder and Mahogany instead of Basswood. (Basswood in itself is fine but it just seems like it's the budget kind here. Maybe not. Just how I feel)

And B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Warlock's specs look pretty fantastic. I own a JRV version and it's pretty great sounding. I'm not huge into the neck on them personally though. It's painted and I have clammy hands. But try it, see it you like it. The specs are fantastic and my NJ Deluxe JRV sounds like a monster. Looks the part too. Here's a link to that one actually.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/b.c.-rich-nj-deluxe-jr.-v-electric-guitar

Only difference between this one and mine are mine had a limited edition headstock and abalone inlay and binding, and made out of Nato instead of Mahogany but they're very similar woods.

OH! And EMG 81/85 combo is the STUFF for thrashy.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Last edited by GraceByDeath at Jun 2, 2015,
Jackson.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by DanyFS
Why get a Kelly KEXMG when, with his budget, he can get for example a Pro Series King V? The Floyd Rose Special ain't that bad, but since he has 1k to spend, he would be better off with the Pro V which has the original.

Also, this is just my opinion, yours and TS' may defer, but I don't like the Kellys because of the upper fret access. The "horn" limits me a bit, I feel more comfortable with a V. But they are damn sexy and very well built guitars though.

Agree with you on the SDs. The JBs may have that classy tone, but the Distortions cut very well.

Because they don't make a new Pro Series Kelly. . . . You can go either USA made for $2k+ or X-Series unfortunately. . .
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
Because they don't make a new Pro Series Kelly. . . . You can go either USA made for $2k+ or X-Series unfortunately. . .

Very true. I'd like a Kelly if I could get the right kind. Something with different colored bevels but at least a pro series.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by metalmingee

That wasn't what I meant. I meant, why get a guitar that has features that are a bit worse than the other guitar (in this case, I'm talking about the Floyd Rose, not even talking about the woods because that is subjective), when you have money to afford the guitar that is the best in terms of that particular feature? Unless you don't like V guitars and you really really prefer the Explorer shape.

But yeah, they could make a Pro Series Kelly, it would be a very nice addition to Jackson's catalog.
Last edited by DanyFS at Jun 2, 2015,
Quote by GraceByDeath
Very true. I'd like a Kelly if I could get the right kind. Something with different colored bevels but at least a pro series.

If you're cool with bolt-on, look for an older mid 2000s MIJ KE3. It has the same neck and joint as the Dinkies from the same era.

I picked up my KE3 for DIRT cheap and that included the OHSC. The guitar was like $20 after the price of the case. . . . It was in rough shape (which is why I was able to talk them down. I took a gamble with the neck and trem at a crazy angle) but nothing a full setup didn't fix. Swapped out the Duncan Designed Detonators with first a JB then a Distortion and Jazz and there you go. . .

They had some awesome finish options then as well. Mine is transparent red. Search for a Crimson Swirl. . . There are some new ones with a silver swirl that's cool too.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by Granata

This white Jackson pictured in the...Picture is not the KVMG. That's a KVXMG. Just in white. Just thought I'd share that.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-kvxmg-king-v-x-series-electric-guitar

Here's the real KVMG and oh my does it look killer...

http://jacksonguitars.com/guitars/king-v/models/kvmg-pro-series-king-v-ebony-fingerboard-snow-white-with-black-bevels/
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by GraceByDeath

That's really nice, I totally overlooked that

The actual KVMG looks much sexier!
Quote by DanyFS
That wasn't what I meant. I meant, why get a guitar that has features that are a bit worse than the other guitar (in this case, I'm talking about the Floyd Rose, not even talking about the woods because that is subjective), when you have money to afford the guitar that is the best in terms of that particular feature? Unless you don't like V guitars and you really really prefer the Explorer shape.

But yeah, they could make a Pro Series Kelly, it would be a very nice addition to Jackson's catalog.

Just because Kellys are cool.

I also said or "the best V you can afford" which would get them to the Pro Series.

You can always just swap the Floyd out if it starts to break down on the Kelly.

Yeah, a Pro Kelly would be cool. I'm sure it's a supply and demand thing though. Kellys just aren't as popular as the V, Rhoads, Dinky, or Soloist unfortunately.

Thrash Metal just equals Jackson in my mind. . . . long engrained memories and many of the modern thrash guys (Havok anyone?) use them as well.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by DanyFS
That's really nice, I totally overlooked that

The actual KVMG looks much sexier!

I noticed it had a rosewood fingerboard on it earlier and was like "Why...?" then I looked at it again and was like "THIS IS A LIE! I'll post GC's picture instead...But...GC...? Why have you both made the mistake??" Seriously. Look...I'm upset.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-KVMG-Pro-V-King-Electric-Guitar-109847988-i2638734.gc
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by metalmingee
Just because Kellys are cool.

I also said or "the best V you can afford" which would get them to the Pro Series.

You can always just swap the Floyd out if it starts to break down on the Kelly.

Yeah, a Pro Kelly would be cool. I'm sure it's a supply and demand thing though. Kellys just aren't as popular as the V, Rhoads, Dinky, or Soloist unfortunately.

Thrash Metal just equals Jackson in my mind. . . . long engrained memories and many of the modern thrash guys (Havok anyone?) use them as well.

Yeah, you could swap it out, but it would end up to be more expensive. But since Kellys are cool as you said, it could be worth it if one really loves them. And I can see the FR Special taking a decent amount of use before it needs to be replaced.

I agree with you, almost every thrash metal guitarist used them back in the 80s and 90s. A lot of them switched to Dean, ESP, etc, but for me, Jackson is still a synonym of thrash metal.

Quote by GraceByDeath
I noticed it had a rosewood fingerboard on it earlier and was like "Why...?" then I looked at it again and was like "THIS IS A LIE! I'll post GC's picture instead...But...GC...? Why have you both made the mistake??" Seriously. Look...I'm upset.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-KVMG-Pro-V-King-Electric-Guitar-109847988-i2638734.gc

The amount of people overlooking this is amazing
Last edited by DanyFS at Jun 2, 2015,
There are a lot of these wrong KVXMG as KVMG pics floating around leading people on ebay to try and sell KVXMGs as KVMGs. People have to be careful out there.
Jackson RRMG.
Alder body, 3-piece through-body maple neck with graphite reinforcement and hand-rubbed oil finish, compound-radius (12"-16") ebony fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets, black pearloid binding, and alumiloid shark fin inlays, EMG 81 and EMG 89 with push/pull volume coil tap and 3-way toggle switching, anodized black aluminum control plate, Floyd Rose bridge, black hardware and Dunlop strap locks.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-rrmg-randy-rhoads-pro-electric-guitar?rNtt=jackson%20rhoads&index=3

...Holy crap, I might get that one.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Jun 2, 2015,
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Jackson did an incredible job styling these guitars.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Jackson RRMG.
Alder body, 3-piece through-body maple neck with graphite reinforcement and hand-rubbed oil finish, compound-radius (12"-16") ebony fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets, black pearloid binding, and alumiloid shark fin inlays, EMG 81 and EMG 89 with push/pull volume coil tap and 3-way toggle switching, anodized black aluminum control plate, Floyd Rose bridge, black hardware and Dunlop strap locks.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-rrmg-randy-rhoads-pro-electric-guitar?rNtt=jackson%20rhoads&index=3

...Holy crap, I might get that one.

That's my main axe right now. I'd have recommended it earlier but he wants 24 frets. It's a boss though. If you're good with 22 frets, they are very playable and it feels great. I love mine.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by GraceByDeath
That's my main axe right now. I'd have recommended it earlier but he wants 24 frets. It's a boss though. If you're good with 22 frets, they are very playable and it feels great. I love mine.

Yeah, I've got a Limited Edition RR3 (ivory w/black pinstripes) and love it. It's my only guitar with 22 frets, but it doesn't bother me. I just bend the hell out of the 22nd fret when I need to.
But I just love the feel of the RR series, sitting and standing. Plus the RRMG doesn't have a painted neck, which is a plus for me.

I seriously need to get one.

What color did you get?
Cause I'm digging the Satin Black but know the finish eventually fades a bit. (I used to have a couple of Satin Black guitars and both would wear out. Which isn't a big deal. It's just a thing I have about finishes fading in less than a year.)
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Jun 2, 2015,
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Yeah, I've got a Limited Edition RR3 (ivory w/black pinstripes) and love it. It's my only guitar with 22 frets, but it doesn't bother me. I just bend the hell out of the 22nd fret when I need to.
But I just love the feel of the RR series, sitting and standing. Plus the RRMG doesn't have a painted neck, which is a plus for me.

I seriously need to get one.

What color did you get?
Cause I'm digging the Satin Black but know the finish eventually fades a bit. (I used to have a couple of Satin Black guitars and both would wear out. Which isn't a big deal. It's just a thing I have about finishes fading in less than a year.)

I got the Satin Grey with Black Bevels. It's tight. It's getting a bit shinier in spots but it's still pretty sick despite that. The nice thing about it, is that it doesn't show smudges. Also the unpainted neck has spoiled me. I may never buy another guitar with a painted neck.>.>
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
If I wasn't in need of other gear, I would buy one of those King Vs. I fell in love with them

Quote by GraceByDeath
I got the Satin Grey with Black Bevels. It's tight. It's getting a bit shinier in spots but it's still pretty sick despite that. The nice thing about it, is that it doesn't show smudges. Also the unpainted neck has spoiled me. I may never buy another guitar with a painted neck.>.>

This, it has always been my problem with neck throughs. Most have painted necks and they get my hands stuck. My hands are very very sweaty and I've always prefered unpainted necks. Those unpainted neck throughs are simply amazing.